What the Heck?? -- town square behavior

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Default What the Heck?? -- town square behavior

What is going on at The Villages Town Squares? Went to see Rocky and the Roller's tonight. One group decided to create their own front row and brought not one, but two coolers. I was under the impression that wasn't allowed, but okay, I'm over it. Next thing you know some guy has a miniature pony out on the dance floor. Supposedly, it was a service animal. Poor animal looked very unhappy to me. He proceeded to put the poor thing around the dance floor to show off it's dancing skills.

There was no one--and I mean no one--monitoring anything at the square. No security. No Community Watch. There were two police officer's who informed me that it wasn't illegal for the guy to bring the horse on the square. Really? They proceeded to tell me that it was like some people believe that spanking kids is okay, while others do not. What that had to do with anything is beyond me. Besides, if they saw someone spanking a child, they'd probably arrest them! We left.

To top it off, the band welcomed back the snowbirds. No big deal, but did they thank those who are here supporting them year 'round? Nope. Not a word.

I guess I'm just getting old and cranky.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Sage

tell me about yourself
Old 10-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudda1955 View Post
Nope - Guess again.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
What is going on at The Villages Town Squares? Went to see Rocky and the Roller's tonight. One group decided to create their own front row and brought not one, but two coolers. I was under the impression that wasn't allowed, but okay, I'm over it. Next thing you know some guy has a miniature pony out on the dance floor. Supposedly, it was a service animal. Poor animal looked very unhappy to me. He proceeded to put the poor thing around the dance floor to show off it's dancing skills.

There was no one--and I mean no one--monitoring anything at the square. No security. No Community Watch. There were two police officer's who informed me that it wasn't illegal for the guy to bring the horse on the square. Really? They proceeded to tell me that it was like some people believe that spanking kids is okay, while others do not. What that had to do with anything is beyond me. Besides, if they saw someone spanking a child, they'd probably arrest them! We left.

To top it off, the band welcomed back the snowbirds. No big deal, but did they thank those who are here supporting them year 'round? Nope. Not a word.

Not being old and cranky at all....just a man with some common sense..
Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Not being old and cranky at all....just a man with some common sense..
He made the suggestion. I thought and still think he is a twelve year old boy making fun of us, not a peer.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 AM

Number one, I'm not a guy. Number two, I'm certainly way older than 12, hence, the getting old and cranky comment. Number three, I live in The Villages full time and have for two years. Number four, why am I trying to justify myself to you? Who are you, the TOV police? Thank goodness someone is monitoring something going on around this place because they sure are missing the mark at the squares (well, at least Brownwood Square)!

I saw some things at the square that were out of line. They even announce at the beginning, and throughout the evening, that coolers aren't allowed at the square "according to Florida state law." Some people, however, are more special than others. I found the miniature pony on the dance floor to be really hard to take. It was there during the break, but the owner kept it there when the music started. There was no need for it to be there. I don't even like it when dogs are in the middle of the square when people are dancing. Around the square--no problem. On the dance floor? No way. Keep the poor animal comfortable and safe.

What was most disturbing, was that The Villages provided absolutely no security or anyone to enforce The Villages rules. There were two police officers standing off to the side and chatting. They don't enforce The Villages rules, however. Only the law.

It's only going to get worse as the winter wears on. I think my best bet is to stay away from the squares until spring. Someone is going to get hurt because of the actions of someone else, and I don't want it to be me or my husband.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Looks like the nightly entertainment is going to the bullies, dogs, and horses! HOW SAD. It used to be fun going to the town entertainments at night before all the craziness started (we all know what that is without listing). Now we and most of our neighbors stay away.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:17 AM

Dancing ponies, fighting line dancers, drunk cart drivers, and seat savers. We want our country back!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A service PONY! Now that's a good one. Hope he takes it to a restaurant. Just another abuse of the special category people.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Well, I can't imagine that pony riding to the square in a car or golf cart. So I wonder who and why would someone go to the trouble of taking that animal to the square. I'll just have to shake my head on this one...
Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Well, I can't imagine that pony riding to the square in a car or golf cart. So I wonder who and why would someone go to the trouble of taking that animal to the square. I'll just have to shake my head on this one...
Maybe he lives in a CYV.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage

Maybe pony boy is not a Village resident. Anyone can come to the squares anytime
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:

the question to the man is what special training did the horse get and by whom was it trained. a service animal must be trained to serve a purpose supporting it's owner by a third party, if they did not receive such third party training they are not service animals and don't belong where pets are not allowed.
living here year round does not mean you support anything here more than snowbirds who graciously pay their fees year round without being here to use the facilities.
ponies in the square? the sky is falling!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
. . . living here year round does not mean you support anything here more than snowbirds who graciously pay their fees year round without being here to use the facilities.
I never said it did. The band welcomed back the snowbirds. I thought it was odd that they band gave them special recognition, that's all. Snowbirds are no more special than the rest of us. I graciously pay my amenities fees year round as well, so what?

Now that I think about it, yes, I do provide more support to everything. I'm there while you're away. I support the restaurants and stores. I support the movie theaters while you're away. I support my neighbors by keeping an eye on their homes while they're away. So, yes, I do provide more support. I may not appreciate The Villages any more than you do, but my support is full time.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Eternal Member

Tags
guy, proceeded, square, spanking, floor, animal, poor, dance, thing, kids, word, guess, nope, supporting, year, round, people, horse, bring, cranky, arrest, snowbirds, big, deal, illegal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.