What are some fun, interesting day trips you can make from the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Sage

Crystal River - Swimming with the Manatees / Kayaking - River Ventures Manatee Tours

Homosassa Springs - Ellie Schiller State Wildlife Park - Low cost fun

Dunnellon - Tube down the Rainbow River - KP Hole State Park / Rainbow River State park

Chiefland - Manatee Springs State Park - Swim in the spring

Crystal River - Fishing - Captain Dan Clymer - Racin Mullet Charters

Those are all very nice things to do and not too far away. If you are a disabled veteran and have your letter from the VA, you can get a lifetime free admission card to all Florida state parks for you and your spouse.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlander View Post
Hi, Last March we took a trip to "Stetson" (hr's drive or less north) toured a beautifull old mansion and got great discounts from them for a rib place downtown, nice quait college town. Stetson, yes, invested the Steson hat. Worth the trip.
Go see it at Christmas time, beautiful decorations.
There was an ad in today's Daily Sun.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I like going for drives to my local CVS

I am tellin' you Rubicon. You have a way with words and I am a huge fan.

Now that there is funny stuff. I have a feeling you won't stop for a pedicure.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We went to Silver Springs yesterday and I had very mixed feelings about this place. When I first got there I was very disappointed. The park is very old and run down. I like the feelings of old places as long as they are maintained and this place is not. There were very few patrons which may be why the place is so run down.

There are very few food places and two of them were closed. The main restaurant had a line out the door so we went to the pizza place and found out why people were willing to wait so long for the main restaurant. The pizza was terrible and the place felt dirty and unkempt. The rest rooms were old, musty and smelled awful. I did want to go back in a second time but it was either that or a nearby tree.

After we ate we headed over to Ross Allen Island where the alligators and other Florida animals are. Again the whole place was just dirty and run down. There were a lot of gators but we could barely see the few big cats they have as they were lying down in the far corners of their enclosures. We stopped for a "show" which pretty much was about insects and pretty boring. There is very little signage to tell you where to go and there are a lot of paths so it is quite confusing.
We left that area and took a ride on the glass bottomed boats. Now this was fascinating. Very interesting and very informative. Well worth the trip. It was interesting to find out how many old movies and television series were shot there.
After the boat ride we saw a place called treats so we went for an ice cream. Nothing special, just an ice cream in an old run down building.
We headed over to the other end of the park where we saw some cool animals. The giraffe ate out of our hands.
Also on that side of the park is a safaris ride which was pretty cool. Not great and again, everything including the vehicle seemed old, run down and not maintained. But the ride itself was pretty interesting.
We headed back over to Ross Allen Island and the big cats were moving around a bit, but one of them seemed very ill. He vomited several times. We went for the historical river cruise on that side and again it was OK. A lot of fake buildings and indian villages but it was nice.
I don't know exactly how I feel about this place. Some things make me want to go back and other things just make me never want to go again.
It's too bad the owners are letting it go downhill so badly. A lot of the buildings need to be torn down and replaced, but at least throw a coat of paint on them if you can't afford to replace them.
Don't know what to tell you. It's probably worth going to see once and it's a pretty good deal for Florida residents. Show your license and pay about $18.00. Food was outrageously expensive. $10.00 for two slices of terrible pizza and a soda. Five bucks for a small ice cream cone and $3.00 for a bottled water.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Dr Winston O Boogie jr;579577]We went to Silver Springs yesterday and I had very mixed feelings about this place. When I first got there I was very disappointed. The park is very old and run down. I like the feelings of old places as long as they are maintained and this place is not. There were very few patrons which may be why the place is so run down.

Have you gone to any concerts? They offer a season pass for $60 to attend all their events. Silver Springs Ocala – Florida's Nature Theme Park
Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Platinum member

It sounds like Silver Springs is the same run down sort of attraction that it was 10 years ago when we went (it might have been longer than that....when we first moved to Florida).

I felt the same way about Cypress Gardens. My mother and I went, and the only good part was the "historical side" where the beautiful old gardens were with the boat ride through them. Now Cypress Gardens is closed, and has been turned into Lego Land. I don't know if they kept the gardens.

I would go back to Silver Springs just for the glass bottomed boat and the beautiful scenery around there. I often hear about entertainment there, did you see that?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran member

We had a season pass for silver springs but will not renew it for this year. Very disappointed in the park. The concerts were full of teenagers roaming around and a lot of drunks. The car shows were ok but I think the ones in Spanish springs square in the villages were better and the food more to our budget. The park needs updating. I remember the park back in the 70's where the boat rides were much longer. They had a jungle cruise that took you way back into the forest. Not much there any more.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
It sounds like Silver Springs is the same run down sort of attraction that it was 10 years ago when we went (it might have been longer than that....when we first moved to Florida).

I felt the same way about Cypress Gardens. My mother and I went, and the only good part was the "historical side" where the beautiful old gardens were with the boat ride through them. Now Cypress Gardens is closed, and has been turned into Lego Land. I don't know if they kept the gardens.

I would go back to Silver Springs just for the glass bottomed boat and the beautiful scenery around there. I often hear about entertainment there, did you see that?
See post #80
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Pasco County Florida Giraffe Farm

Can't wait to go here see a bit on youtube search using the name above
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Default Quick get aways

Cedar Key - very "old" Florida - nice - take the boat excursions, also lots of "dog friendly" places.

Lido Key/Longboat Key (near Sarasota & Ringling) - very nice beaches, nice atmosphere & shop St Armands Circle. We stayed at Lido Island Resort - get the studio or 1 bedroom - walking distance to St. Armands Circle, short ride to Mote Aquarium, walk to great beach with optional pool, nice area. Short ride to kayaking, bird watching, etc.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold member

According to the Silver Springs web site, the only things left there are the glass bottom boat and the gardens. The rides and animals are all gone. Admission to the grounds is free and the glass bottom boat ride is $13 for adults and $10 for seniors/children.We will be entertaining our 2-year old grandson next month. He might enjoy the boat ride, but am not sure if that is sufficient to warrant the long drive (which, for a 2-year old probably feels like an eternity). Any thoughts?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Don't forget the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot in the fall... (I'd recommend going on a weekday if you want to avoid crowds) They also have free concerts during the F&W festival and well as during Flower & garden in the spring.

There are several state parks within an hour or two.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Sage

Type "Saint Augustine Florida Historical Landmarks" into your search engine........
Use BING if you can..........great number of historical buildings, fort, etc., etc.
Old city on Atlantic Ocean side of Florida............go in cooler weather if you can.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Sage

St. Augustine, the nation's oldest city, also holds the distinction of being one of the nation's most charming. Whether you're a longtime resident or visiting the area for the first time, we've gathered all the resources you need to find where to stay, what to do and other community information about our unique little village.

The Villages FloridaKnown as the "Ancient City," Saint Augustine is located between North East and Central East Florida and is convenient to Jacksonville, Orlando, and Daytona airports. North Florida boasts a year-round mild climate perfect for strolling Saint Augustine's delightful historic district, with its cobblestone streets, quaint cafes, bars, unique shops and bed-and-breakfast inns. Experience the beauty of an early morning that slowly comes alive with locals and tourists setting out on foot to explore significant landmarks including the Castillo de San Marcos, Lightner Museum, Flagler College and Fort Matanzas. CLICK ON THESE HYPERLINKS FOR ECO TOURS AND MUCH MORE......

Whether you're interested exploring the city's rich history or the tranquil natural settings of this beautiful North Florida coastal area, Oldcity.com offers all the resources you need to plan your trip - in fact, you may find so much here, that you'll be planning your next visit before the first one ends!

St. Augustine Area Accommodations

Near the sea, beneath the stars or close to attractions and historic sites, St. Augustine has a variety of lodging options for your next vacation. Depending on how long you plan to visit and what you want to do when you get here, St. Augustine offers accommodations sure to suit your needs. Check out our Where to Stay section to find listings for all the accommodations options in St. Augustine including hotels, bed and breakfasts, condominiums, resorts, campgrounds, marinas and vacation rentals.
The Villages FloridaSt. Augustine Attractions

Sun, fun, history and mystery—St. Augustine has it all! From the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument to the Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Museum and everything in between, St. Augustine is an ideal locale for family fun and adventure. Check out our listings under What to Do for details on St. Augustine's most popular attractions
Local St. Augustine Information

OldCity.com has the inside track on what's happening in the St. Augustine community. We've got all the details on local happenings including community events, listings for local places of worship, real estate listings and links to other businesses around town. Browse through the Calendar and other features in our Community section to get the latest scoop on what's happening in St. Augustine.
St. Augustine Weddings

St. Augustine's beautiful beaches and historic buildings have served as the setting for weddings for centuries. We have all the local resources you need to plan your special day in St. Augustine, whether you grew up here or you're bringing the whole family in from afar for a destination wedding. Our St. Augustine weddings section will put you in touch with local caterers, venues, florists, photographers and vendors who can provide everything you need to complete your perfect day.
St. Augustine Recreation & Sports

If you love to golf or play tennis, St. Augustine is the place for you! There are many golf courses and tennis resorts located in the area. Ponte Vedra, home of The Players Association (PGA) and Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), is a 20 minute drive from the downtown historic district. The many marinas dotted around the area make boating access ultra convenient by sea, river or Intracoastal waterway. Fishing, diving, surfing, parasailing and other water sports are abundantly accommodated. Visit our sports and recreation section for more information.
St. Augustine Beach

Our beautiful little town also boasts 43 pristine miles of beaches. There's the right type of beach for everyone: some permit vehicles and dogs while others allow only pedestrians. Some of the area beaches produce abundant shelling opportunities, while others are covered only in luxurious fine, golden sand. From single vantage points in town, you can experience both the joy of the sun rising over the Atlantic Ocean horizon and the peacefulness of the sun setting beyond the salt marsh along the intracoastal waterway.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
This is a great post, thank all.

swim with manatees?? sounds like swim with alligators!!!!!
manatees are in Crystal River springs only in winter. guided tours allow limited swimming with them. they are gentle giants, totally harmless. I did a Fish and Wildlife ID program years ago where you ID the manatees by charting the propeller marks. Sad, poor babies. They have whiskers and very cute faces, some love to be scratched and probably huge poop that no one picks up on purpose. The water is 72 degrees year round in springs so is too cold for me even in a wetsuit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.