What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Me-started working for a 1 physician (Cardiologist) practice in 1965 as Medical Assistant--took shorthand dictation on every patient seen--transcribed-did EKG's, etc. I never left the practice--at the time of my retirement 30 years later--my 1 physician practice had grown to 17 Cardiologists and I was then the Business Office Manager. This was in 1995--and I continued to work part-time in physician offices until my husband's retirement in 2000.

Husband---Worked for Virginia Power Company at the time of our marriage in 1965 as a linesman---then went to work for Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone (one of the baby-bells) in Nov 1969 as a linesman. At time of retirement 30 years later, he was a systems technician for AT&T.

We moved from Richmond, Va to The Villages on Nov 1, 2007.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Hubby just worked his last day on Friday. We are now permanently on vacation. (until such a time that we get bored and find part time jobs to have something to do.) He was a system designer/analyst for Ford Credit.

I worked for Hallmark Cards as a sales rep in the Hallmark Mass division. I called on drug stores and military bases. I was downsized out of my job a year and a half ago, and have been unable to find work. We decided that we would just retire instead and move to Florida as soon as we sell our house.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Hospital administration
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage

I am a Union Milllwright, hopefully retiring in about 18 months. Better half is a payroll supervisor for a large central mass retirement system, also counting down to about the same time.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 AM

Retired last September. For last ten years: Directed accounting, internal controls, cash management in Health Care area. Hired great staff so I didn't have too much to do myself---prep for retiring. Before that: Started from school with Social Security as Authorizer, after two years moved into management and left there after ten years; head of a Credit Union; taught various management courses; argued management cases for various issues: discipline, EEO, etc. Along the way picked up some degrees.

But the most fun and most rewarding was unpaid volunteering, and I can talk about that for hours: school committees, church, little league BB, Indian Guides, worked in a nursing homes;all were great times and with good people. Still do a little, although I also am doing some limited Consulting work.

Spouse is RN with lots of success and responsibilities in the Public Health arena --too many for me to re-count and too many for her to want published. On top of that was the key homemaker for years, doing a terrific job with our sons. And she continues to enjoy volunteering in many venues--'way more than me. Great person to have put up with me for more than 38 years.

Don't want to look back on the items above, but still enjoy the friendships made. Hope that my kids have the same opportunities to enjoy a sense of accomplishment, recognition, and F-U-N during their careers.

Onwards to TV life.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24

Me -- still not retired and probably never will. Background is in writing. First public relations for Gucci when they first arrived in Chicago.
Would you consider being public relations for Mucci??? I could use it!!!
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 PM

I was a legal secretary in New York City. Now I am a hostess at Lighthouse!! Luv it...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Worked a total of 41 years before retireing in 2001 at the age of 58. The last 28 years I was the director of Human Resources at Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps for the nonappropriated fund employees of the United States Marine Corps. About 10,000 civilian employees who are NOT paid with tax dollars and who run the Marine Corps exchanges, clubs and all recreation activities such as golf courses, bowling alleys, etc. We called them Morale, Welfare and Recreation Activities. Kind of Hometown U.S.A. aboard the Marine Corps Bases. They have merged into Marine Corps Community Services and now include Social Services as well. Very large organization.

I was proud to work for our Marines and their families. During my tenure, I visited many of the Marine Corps installations and met many of the civilian employees who worked in the MWR arena. Most were paid at minimum wage and many were spouses or teen children of Marines.

Wonderful support for our Marines.

I retired two months before 9/11/01 and knew many folks who worked at the Pentagon. Fortunately, none of my friends or co-workers were injured that day. I thank God for that.

I am to this day, proud of my 28 years of civilian service to the Marine Corps.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM

Enlisted in the Navy at the tender age of 17 and retired as a Chief Petty Officer specializing in Military Intelligence. Last assignment before retiring from USN was as a Battle Staff Team Member on an Airborne Command Post out of England. We carried war codes. Tried civilian life for a couple of years working as an office manager for a major insurance company. Had a boss who wasn't exactly on the up and up so I said "goodby" to that career. Became a Regulatory Enforcement Officer with the Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms working out of New Orleans. Lots of tax collecting, inspecting distilleries and breweries, and getting involved in gun dealer inspections. (Lots of all that stuff in New Orleans) Changed agencies of the federal government to become a Special Agent with the Defense Investigative Service, mainly involved in background investigations on anyone needing a security clearance with the government. Took advantage of an early retirement when the Defense Department wanted to save money by allowing senior agents to retire and then replacing them with junior agents.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Post Profession prior to retirement

My hubby Dennis was an Air Traffic Controller for 30 years, after being a Milwaukee police officer for 5 years, and in the Air Force for the first 8 years of our marriage.

I on the other hand, worked at different hospitals in Medical Records. Then I was a veterinary assistant in Elkhorn Wisconsin. My best job was the last 5 years of working. I was a nanny for my family physician and her daughter, which while I was working for her she had 2 more children. The two girls and the boy are considered to be my grandchildren too.

Interesting Life and a happy one.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Default work

I retiered from teaching in 2005, after 34 years. My wife is not retired yet. 4 more years. Bank Senior Partner. shighsmi
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Default Who's retired?

I never have retired. I just cut down the number of hours I work. My "job title" is Diagnostic Medical Radiological Technologist. Fancy words for an x-ray tech. After college, the GI Bill paid for my schooling after Viet Nam and I have been working ever since. It will be 38 years next month.
Worked in Illinois, woked in Maine, worked in Florida, worked in Nevada and woked in Florida when we moved back here. Never missed a beat. Age 65 and still work 20-30 hours a week.

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!

Last edited by SABRMnLgs; 09-20-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Default 38 months but, who's counting lol

ME-For about 30 years I was in distribution of pre-recorded music ie;records,tapes disc's and the like. 25 of them self employed including a 3 store retail chain in Brooklyn & Long Island, NY (Record Warehouse) also exported and supplied public libraries across the country.
Presently I am in Debt Settlement and Loan Modifications for a nationwide company located in Orange county, CA

She retired Insurance business, presently full time Grandma. Tough job but, someone has to do it. lol

Villages wannabe in 38 months.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Sage
Default What did you do before you retired?

I was an administrative assistant working at an Air Force Base in Ohio at the Air Force Research Laboratory.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM

I was a superintendent of Schools in Lake George, NY prior to retirement.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.