what's your thoughts on this

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,405
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,019 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I stand corrected! Partially funded by county tax. Partially funded by tourism tax. Partially funded by - maybe other things?

As for the seat-savers, I've noticed this on normal evenings not just holidays (I've been down here during a few of them even though I just moved in for good).

The last time, I feel, is going to be the last time. From now on if someone says "these seats are for people who are expected" I'll tell them "great. When they come, I'll vacate." And park my young-senior butt in the chair.
Having just moved in for good, doesn't give you the right to change rules as you go...…..

From the District Website:

Personal Chairs at Downtown Squares
Personal folding chairs are allowed to be brought to events. The setting up and leaving of chairs prior to 3:00 p.m. is prohibited. Any chairs set up and left on the square prior to 3:00 p.m. will be removed by District Property Management. Our efforts are to manage and maintain a safe environment for visitors, staff and contractors at the squares. We appreciate your attention and support of this matter which will allow our Squares to continue to meet our high community standards.

Further....
From the other news site;
With the return of snowbirds and the approaching of the extremely popular Christmas tree-lighting events nearing, the District Office issued a reminder last week:
While personal folding chairs are allowed at events on the squares, the setting up and leaving of chairs prior to 3 p.m. is prohibited. If you are using the chairs provided, seat saving is not permitted prior to the beginning of entertainment, unless a member of your party remains with your seats. Do not block walkways and be courteous towards others to ensure safe passage by all.

Further....
A few years ago two people were arrested for basically doing, what you are saying you will do.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 11-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
  #32  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM
champion6's Avatar
champion6 champion6 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 1
Thanked 335 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I stand corrected! Partially funded by county tax. Partially funded by tourism tax. Partially funded by - maybe other things?

As for the seat-savers, I've noticed this on normal evenings not just holidays (I've been down here during a few of them even though I just moved in for good).

The last time, I feel, is going to be the last time. From now on if someone says "these seats are for people who are expected" I'll tell them "great. When they come, I'll vacate." And park my young-senior butt in the chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
They make a public announcement before each entertainment set starts. Seat saving is allowed if one of your group stays with the saved seats. Or something like that. No seats tied together with string, rope, tape etc. or leaving seat cushions on them and leaving. You may want to check the rules first.
From districtgov.org:
"Personal folding chairs are allowed to be brought to events. The setting up and leaving of chairs prior to 3:00 p.m. is prohibited. Any chairs set up and left on the square prior to 3:00 p.m. will be removed by District Property Management. Our efforts are to manage and maintain a safe environment for visitors, staff and contractors at the squares. We appreciate your attention and support of this matter which will allow our Squares to continue to meet our high community standards."
  #33  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:44 PM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 5,353
Thanks: 994
Thanked 1,333 Times in 606 Posts
Default

This VIP Tent setup has already been done, did anyone who went to the last 4th of July ceremonies at Brownwood have a problem with the VIP Tent? Here it is, this is what all the hoopla is about, a small little tent stuck back between the bleachers. The only advantage I can see is you can get drinks quickly from your own tent bar and not have to wait in the big lines in back by the beer stands. If that's worth $50, then you have that option. It seems like people want to make a big deal out of nothing.

The Villages Florida
  #34  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,386
Thanks: 2,282
Thanked 2,725 Times in 833 Posts
Default

I'm not changing the rules. I'm honoring them. I'll sit down, and as soon as the people they're saving the seats for show up, I'll yield them back. If they're not already there (dancing, going to the bathroom, getting a drink, etc) then those seats are unoccupied, whether they're saved or not. Three nights ago a lady claimed to be saving SEVEN chairs for people who hadn't shown up yet. She was by herself. Sorry but that just doesn't fly with me. Those people can have the chairs when they get there because they've been "saved" by that lady. Those people won't need them until then.
  #35  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,405
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,019 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm not changing the rules. I'm honoring them. I'll sit down, and as soon as the people they're saving the seats for show up, I'll yield them back. If they're not already there (dancing, going to the bathroom, getting a drink, etc) then those seats are unoccupied, whether they're saved or not. Three nights ago a lady claimed to be saving SEVEN chairs for people who hadn't shown up yet. She was by herself. Sorry but that just doesn't fly with me. Those people can have the chairs when they get there because they've been "saved" by that lady. Those people won't need them until then.
Good Luck with your plan. Others ended up with hours of community service and probation. I realize you are different.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #36  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:11 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,078
Thanks: 182
Thanked 1,456 Times in 618 Posts
Default

///
__________________
coffeebean

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.
  #37  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,078
Thanks: 182
Thanked 1,456 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

The last time, I feel, is going to be the last time. From now on if someone says "these seats are for people who are expected" I'll tell them "great. When they come, I'll vacate." And park my young-senior butt in the chair.
I see nothing wrong with this. There are times saved seats remain empty until later in the evening. I've seen saved seats empty until after 8:00pm. What is wrong with utilizing those seats as long as you assure the person saving the seats that you will vacate the seats as soon as someone shows up for them?
__________________
coffeebean
  #38  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:27 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,266
Thanks: 2,283
Thanked 837 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What can possibly be wrong with sitting is a seat that is empty? Isn't it OK to assure the person who is saving the seats that you will vacate the seat as soon as the person arrives? There are times that seats remain empty until later in the evening when those seats could have been utilized. Doesn't make any sense to me that someone could be arrested for sitting in a "saved" seat.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #39  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,078
Thanks: 182
Thanked 1,456 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Good Luck with your plan. Others ended up with hours of community service and probation. I realize you are different.
Seriously???? That makes absolutely no sense.
__________________
coffeebean
  #40  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:38 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,732
Thanks: 293
Thanked 2,581 Times in 967 Posts
Default

I don't care what rules they have. I like rules. But, if you have a rule, it should be enforced, so everyone is treated equally.
  #41  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 PM
champion6's Avatar
champion6 champion6 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 1
Thanked 335 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm not changing the rules. I'm honoring them. I'll sit down, and as soon as the people they're saving the seats for show up, I'll yield them back. If they're not already there (dancing, going to the bathroom, getting a drink, etc) then those seats are unoccupied, whether they're saved or not. Three nights ago a lady claimed to be saving SEVEN chairs for people who hadn't shown up yet. She was by herself. Sorry but that just doesn't fly with me. Those people can have the chairs when they get there because they've been "saved" by that lady. Those people won't need them until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What can possibly be wrong with sitting is a seat that is empty? Isn't it OK to assure the person who is saving the seats that you will vacate the seat as soon as the person arrives? There are times that seats remain empty until later in the evening when those seats could have been utilized. Doesn't make any sense to me that someone could be arrested for sitting in a "saved" seat..
Two examples of what can go wrong.
===========================================
From the online news:
June 2, 2016

A Village of Hillsborough man was arrested after a fight with a 72-year-old woman over a seat Wednesday night at Spanish Springs Town Square.

Bruce Raymond Benard of 3525 Nance Run is facing a charge of battery after he allegedly grabbed the woman’s wrist “very hard” and stomped on her left foot two times in an attempt to remove her from a chair, according to a report from the Lady Lake Police Department.

The woman told police she was at town square and observed some empty seating, so she took a seat. Bruce Benard confronted her about sitting in seats he had reserved for his friends and family and threatened to throw her off the chair if she did not move, the report indicated.

The woman said she told Benard she would move in a minute and that’s when the attack began, the report said.

The woman told police she felt like his arms were ready to come down on her.

When police interviewed Benard he said, “she should have moved and I have a right to stand up for myself and stand my ground.” He admitted to grabbing the woman.

Two witnesses confirmed the woman’s version of events.

Benard was booked at the Lake County Jail. He was released after posting $1,000 bond.

===========================================
Another from the online news:
May 24, 2016

Rocky and the Rollers remain one of the most popular acts in The Villages.

On Monday night, the popular band brought in a big crowd at Spanish Springs Town Square.

But there is a price to be paid for popularity.

Before noon Monday there was plenty of evidence of seat saving at the square. Numerous green chairs were adorned with towels, cushions, ribbons and even yellow crime scene tape hours before Rocky and his fellow musicians stepped on stage at the Gazebo.

Officially, “saving” seats at the squares is prohibited in The Villages.

Saving seats at the square twice ended in arrest this past summer.

A 65-year-old Water Oak resident on Sept. 9 was accused of pushing a 77-year-old Villager who dared to sit in a seat “saved” by the Water Oaker at Spanish Springs Town Square.

When the Villager attempted to sit in one of the “saved” seats, Gary Lee Herzhaft informed the Villager that the chair was “taken.” When the Villager ignored him, Herzhaft “jumped up and pushed (the man) back and jammed his fingers into the upper chest area,” of the Villager, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department.

Herzhaft told police that the “chairs were taken,” but denied pushing or poking The Villager.

Herzhaft is now serving a year’s probation as a result of that incident. He was also ordered to undergo anger management training.

A 70-year-old Village of Santo Domingo man paid a nearly $300 fine in Lake County Court after pleading no contest to charges of disorderly conduct and resisting a police officer. He had been arrested June 26 after he allegedly punched a man and insulted a supporter of the LGBT community who he accused of taking his seat near the gazebo at the square.
===========================================
  #42  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,266
Thanks: 2,283
Thanked 837 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Seriously???? That makes absolutely no sense.
Unfortunately it's true! You have never heard of a fight on a Square over seat saving? And I'm afraid more than one too! That's what happens when people say things like "I don't care what rules they have." and "I'll vacate when they show up."
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #43  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,223
Thanks: 356
Thanked 1,346 Times in 573 Posts
Default

Perhaps there should be a rule on how many seats you can save? Or maybe there is one already?
  #44  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:04 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,266
Thanks: 2,283
Thanked 837 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Perhaps there should be a rule on how many seats you can save? Or maybe there is one already?
Pick a number from 1 to 500......
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #45  
Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM
Number 10 GI Number 10 GI is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 734
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 1,341 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Two examples of what can go wrong.
===========================================
From the online news:
June 2, 2016

A Village of Hillsborough man was arrested after a fight with a 72-year-old woman over a seat Wednesday night at Spanish Springs Town Square.

Bruce Raymond Benard of 3525 Nance Run is facing a charge of battery after he allegedly grabbed the woman’s wrist “very hard” and stomped on her left foot two times in an attempt to remove her from a chair, according to a report from the Lady Lake Police Department.

The woman told police she was at town square and observed some empty seating, so she took a seat. Bruce Benard confronted her about sitting in seats he had reserved for his friends and family and threatened to throw her off the chair if she did not move, the report indicated.

The woman said she told Benard she would move in a minute and that’s when the attack began, the report said.

The woman told police she felt like his arms were ready to come down on her.

When police interviewed Benard he said, “she should have moved and I have a right to stand up for myself and stand my ground.” He admitted to grabbing the woman.

Two witnesses confirmed the woman’s version of events.

Benard was booked at the Lake County Jail. He was released after posting $1,000 bond.

===========================================
Another from the online news:
May 24, 2016

Rocky and the Rollers remain one of the most popular acts in The Villages.

On Monday night, the popular band brought in a big crowd at Spanish Springs Town Square.

But there is a price to be paid for popularity.

Before noon Monday there was plenty of evidence of seat saving at the square. Numerous green chairs were adorned with towels, cushions, ribbons and even yellow crime scene tape hours before Rocky and his fellow musicians stepped on stage at the Gazebo.

Officially, “saving” seats at the squares is prohibited in The Villages.

Saving seats at the square twice ended in arrest this past summer.

A 65-year-old Water Oak resident on Sept. 9 was accused of pushing a 77-year-old Villager who dared to sit in a seat “saved” by the Water Oaker at Spanish Springs Town Square.

When the Villager attempted to sit in one of the “saved” seats, Gary Lee Herzhaft informed the Villager that the chair was “taken.” When the Villager ignored him, Herzhaft “jumped up and pushed (the man) back and jammed his fingers into the upper chest area,” of the Villager, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department.

Herzhaft told police that the “chairs were taken,” but denied pushing or poking The Villager.

Herzhaft is now serving a year’s probation as a result of that incident. He was also ordered to undergo anger management training.

A 70-year-old Village of Santo Domingo man paid a nearly $300 fine in Lake County Court after pleading no contest to charges of disorderly conduct and resisting a police officer. He had been arrested June 26 after he allegedly punched a man and insulted a supporter of the LGBT community who he accused of taking his seat near the gazebo at the square.
===========================================
My take on this is that the person wasn't arrested for setting in a seat that someone was holding for other people, they were arrested for assault. Cite me the ordnance, law, code or whatever that says you can be arrested for setting in a chair that someone is holding for another person.
Closed Thread

Tags
seating, access, tickets, free, promised

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.