When a Golf cart is on the golf path...

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 06:16 AM

Yes
Old 04-03-2020, 06:39 AM

Up here north of 466 there are very few sidewalks.... I yield to walkers in my cart. I slow down until i can safely pass them. It helps when walkers are facing oncoming traffic, but those blind curves often make it difficult, especially on the Buena vista MMP. So I slow down!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 AM

In skiing there is a rule: The Downhill Skier Has The Right Of Way....meaning that is someone is in front of you, they have the right of way and you are responsible to avoid them. If there is a walker, biker, golf cart, or whatever, in front of you, no matter which way they are traveling, you can see them and avoid them. They may, annoyingly, not be courteous enough to get out of your way, but you should still try not to mow them down. However, there is no reason to be walking in the diamond golf cart lane when there is a sidewalk. That's just stupid, and you can't fight stupid. (You still shouldn't mow them down though, no matter how tempting.)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

You must be from France. LOL
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 AM

Would you walk in the road for cars only, when a sidewalk is available? Same thing. Get off of the streets. You're crazy anyway if you think people in TV care about your safety. Too many people here are in such a big hurry! Never could figure out why.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Most of the roads, not all, that have cart lanes also have sidewalks, in which case it is illegal for the pedestrian to walk in the cart lane:

Florida statute 316.130 sec 3&4:

(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.
(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

This applies even if the sidewalk is on the other side of the road. If there is no sidewalk, I would be getting out of the way of a cart, car, or truck.

As far as another poster who said "pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, that is not always true, there are several cases of this, but here is one from 316.130 sec 10:

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
Please visit the north end of The Villages. NONE of the major roads with golf cart diamond lanes have sidewalks. Therefore, a pedestrian walking on those roads will be in that diamond lane. If you need specific examples, look at SE 86th Belle Meade Circle, SE 172nd Legacy Lane and so on.

The pedestrian should walk facing traffic. Just like on a regular neighborhood road, where a car must move into the middle of the road to avoid a walking pedestrian, a golf cart must move into the car lane to avoid a pedestrian. Of course, prudent pedestrians should always be aware of their situation and be prepared to move if the oncoming vehicle isn't avoiding them.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 AM
Default No sidewalks north of 466

Quote:
Most of the roads, not all, that have cart lanes also have sidewalks, in which case it is illegal for the pedestrian to walk in the cart lane:

(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.
(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

This applies even if the sidewalk is on the other side of the road. If there is no sidewalk, I would be getting out of the way of a cart, car, or truck.

As far as another poster who said "pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, that is not always true, there are several cases of this, but here is one from 316.130 sec 10:

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
North of 466 there are no sidewalks.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM

The cart always moves over for a walker. Adjust your speed and safely merge with vehicle traffic.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
....and a person is walking towards them, should that person or persons go up on the grass and allow the golf cart to remain on the path, or should the golf cart go into the street and allow the person or persons to remain on the golf path ? I could be mistaken , but many a time the person will remain on the golf path forcing me to go into the car lanes, often having to wait till traffic clears to do so and puts me at risk for an accident, when all can be avoided if they allowed me to continue on the golf path. What are your opinions .....
Personally, it is much easier for me to step up on the curb and allow the cart to pass. I makes much more sense than to put the cart in danger from the cars.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

"Most of the roads, not all, that have cart lanes also have sidewalks"

That is not true for a major portion of The Villages, and that's why we have the issue of this thread.

If I am the pedestrian, and if it's possible or reasonable, I step off the path for the golf cart. If I am the golf cart driver, I do what it takes to avoid the pedestrian.

I am a pedestrian, biker, golf cart driver, and a car driver so I think I see the issue from all sides. Of the four, I place golf cart drivers dead last for brains and courtesy. Now don't take offense if you are not one of the bad drivers, because most of the golf cart drivers I encounter are courteous and safe. However, the bad ones are really, really bad. I have lost count of the number of times I have faced a golf cart on the wrong side of the trail coming around a blind corner. Also, the way some shoot out of tunnels is just plain scary.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Best answer yet
Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Good grief. With everything going on, people are worried about trivial stuff. Get over yourself.
Actually, this is not trivial BECAUSE of everything going on. More people are walking because that’s all many of us can really do right now. And with more people on the sidewalk, keeping social distance means more walkers may be using the diamond lanes to pass each other. In response to the OP, I am sure you do not want to cause harm, so if necessary slow down until you can safely move over. They may even take that as a hint. They may be technically breaking the rules and putting themselves in danger, but that should not be a death sentence, IMHO.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I think this is the definitive answer. Otherwise opinions vary.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Default Walkers in multi-modal situations, roads and paths.

Our house backs up to Rio Grande Ave. I cannot tell you how many walkers and bikers go the wrong way. Walkers fail to walk toward traffic and bikers who do ride toward traffic rather than with traffic. Then there are the motorized wheel chairs and scooters which really aggravate the golf cart drivers while they are on their phones, oh yes talking on phones in golf carts is extremely common - so walkers beware! I have seen many walkers jump to safety!

Since there is no sidewalk along Rio Grande Ave, walkers have no choice but to walk in the marked path. As such, golf carts should yield (which means stop if you must) just like in a car. Yield to pedestrians in EVERY CASE!!!!! You might want to put the phone down and drive with two hands. Almost all golf carts are running "wide open on Rio drag strip"! Just seems 20 MPH for carts and 25 MPH for cars is meaningless since most cars are going 40 to 45 MPH. You really are taking your life in your hands walking on Rio Grande Ave.

Walkers should know how to: stop, look and listen before crossing as well as walking against traffic so they can see you and you can see them! Oh yes, and practice your jumping skills. Especially with the speeding on Rio Grande Ave. Look out!!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:32 AM

As a pedestrian, I avoid cart lanes altogether. I walk defensively, facing traffic and getting UP on the curb to avoid any possibility of being hit by an approaching vehicle. As a cart driver, I try to avoid putting myself in the dangerous car lane. If I have to stop to let the pedestrian walk around me, (with no other carts behind me!) I will do so... Unfortunately, I have seen more and more walkers on Morse Boulevard, which is definitely not a safe place to walk. There are many pedestrians using the cart lanes as walking lanes on Enrique also. This is a growing problem, which I’m afraid cannot be stopped until at least one person is killed or seriously injured. The obvious, though not practical from a financial standpoint, is to give this area sidewalks. Good responses so far from you readers!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, path, person, cart, remain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.