When this is over, what will change?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 04-06-2020, 05:12 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 846 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I think the 'Western' culture of handshaking should be discouraged (or banned)...history>


Handshakes: Then and now
With origins dating back to ancient Greece, handshaking is believed to have originated to prove participants were not holding weapons (the shaking may have been a way to loosen daggers hidden inside clothing.) A funeral stone in Berlin’s Pergamom museum from 5th century B.C. shows two soldiers clasping hands.

Even then, handshakes were likely a formalization of a pact between two parties. Homer references handshakes in both “The Odyssey” and “The Iliad,” usually as a display of trust.


I vote for:

Namaste
It's a Sanskrit phrase that means "I bow to you." You place hands together at the heart, close your eyes and bow. It is good manners to say namaste to the elders. It was the equivalent of hello, but with an element of respect.

Or, if holding a briefcase or such, eye contact and a slight bow or 'head bow'.

NO CONTACT, but a warm personal greeting.

I bow to no one except God.
  #32  
Old 04-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Paper1 Paper1 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 5
Thanked 83 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Every person receiving SS paid into it. I also paid into my pensions. These are not entitlements. Medicare is not free. I pay for it every month as well as a deductible when I go to a doctor. The kids are in debt for useless college degrees that we have forced upon then. Better to be a plumber than major in Art History and make coffee at Starbucks.
Most people ignore the fact we didn't pay in for ourselves we were paying in to support our parents and grandparents, it is a pay as you go system that did indeed collect more than they were paying out so now we have this imaginary trust fund. The fact is more has been promised than our grandchildren can pay for. This is not a political statement but a fact whatever your political persuasion is. That said I do very much agree with you about cost and value of many college degrees.
  #33  
Old 04-06-2020, 05:20 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 846 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Whatever else may happen, this should be a teaching moment of the risk of having your health insurance tied to your place of employment. When suddenly 30% of the work force loses their job, they will also lose their own and possibly their family's coverage. While the top few % can afford to pay for their own coverage, the many cannot.

Job loss does qualify a person to apply for coverage via the ACA [Obamacare] but this requires out of pocket payment and a large number of low wage earners do not qualify as when the law was written it was believed that those low earners would qualify for state Medicaid benefits.

To avoid being erased for political comments, I will avoid making any suggestion. But I do think that the pandemic illustrates a major downside of losing insurance at the same time as losing employment.

By the way, under the ACA you can buy coverage to begin the first day of the month AFTER your insurance ends. If your job loss is on April 3rd, fairly reasonable date in this environment; no ACA coverage, if I read the rules correctly, until May 1. Try hard not to get sick in April. A request to open the option to enroll earlier was turned down by the Federal Gov. And of course the Supreme Court has on its docket an appeal designed to completely end the ACA, to be heard after the November election. With no ACA, these unemployed low and moderately paid Americans would have no affordable market.

I foresee a push to change in how we provide health care coverage to our citizens.

Every single insurance company has said they will cover for COVID treatment anyone who lost their coverage over the current layoffs as well as waiving copays for COVID treatment.

Socialized medicine sucks big time. Why do you think Canadians cross over for treatment. My niece lives in Italy and part of the reason so many died is because the average wait for a doctor appt. is weeks.

The ACA is way too expensive for folks out of work. It was the “you must buy mandate” that people resented. I know. I was one who refused to buy just because I was told I had to.
  #34  
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM
kpd3062's Avatar
kpd3062 kpd3062 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 116
Thanks: 349
Thanked 37 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I hope things return to normal. I don’t want to live in a world where I’m afraid to socialize, shake hands, hug, etc. I grew up with a father who wasn’t comfortable with hugging (probably learned from his parents). I married into a family of “Huggers”. I learned to love it and feel sorry for those who aren’t comfortable with it. I respect their wishes but they are missing out in my opinion. My dad became more comfortable with showing affection in his later years which I’m grateful for. So when this is over I will be back to hugging.
  #35  
Old 04-06-2020, 06:18 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 846 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
Most people ignore the fact we didn't pay in for ourselves we were paying in to support our parents and grandparents, it is a pay as you go system that did indeed collect more than they were paying out so now we have this imaginary trust fund. The fact is more has been promised than our grandchildren can pay for. This is not a political statement but a fact whatever your political persuasion is. That said I do very much agree with you about cost and value of many college degrees.
I will give you volume of recipients has grown
  #36  
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 846 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
I hope things return to normal. I don’t want to live in a world where I’m afraid to socialize, shake hands, hug, etc. I grew up with a father who wasn’t comfortable with hugging (probably learned from his parents). I married into a family of “Huggers”. I learned to love it and feel sorry for those who aren’t comfortable with it. I respect their wishes but they are missing out in my opinion. My dad became more comfortable with showing affection in his later years which I’m grateful for. So when this is over I will be back to hugging.

For family it’s fine but if I only know you casually, please don’t hug me.
  #37  
Old 04-06-2020, 06:26 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 4,768
Thanks: 305
Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
A significant number of people in our age bracket will no longer be taking cruises.
Hubby and I were just discussing this at dinner this evening. We are frequent cruisers but will probably hold off cruising for at least a year. Sad but true.
__________________
coffeebean
I've had both vaccine shots!
  #38  
Old 04-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 18
Thanked 585 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Far fewer people will aspire to be EMTs, Nurses, and other health care professionals.
__________________
What am I supposed to call my Plantation Shutters now?
  #39  
Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Rebel Pirate's Avatar
Rebel Pirate Rebel Pirate is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Regarding the business climate: I predict many, MANY small (brick & mortar) business will close their doors; some large brick & mortar business that have not been financially healthy will see their demise come sooner rather than later; online business will continue to BOOM. When people who have never before shopped online have 2-3 months or more experience with online shopping, those business will continue to grow.
__________________

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
  #40  
Old 04-07-2020, 03:59 PM
npwalters's Avatar
npwalters npwalters is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 547
Thanks: 3
Thanked 716 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I believe the country will change profoundly, the way the country changed after the "great Depression", people will learn how to save, and get priorities

anyone care to add to the list

1) people will move out of the big cities
2)people will learn how to save
People will be more willing to let the government run their lives. Sad.
__________________
Pam&Nick
  #41  
Old 04-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Rebel Pirate's Avatar
Rebel Pirate Rebel Pirate is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Every person receiving SS paid into it. I also paid into my pensions. These are not entitlements. Medicare is not free. I pay for it every month as well as a deductible when I go to a doctor. The kids are in debt for useless college degrees that we have forced upon then. Better to be a plumber than major in Art History and make coffee at Starbucks.
I adopt a slightly different turn of phrase regarding social security and medicare. By government definition, they are entitlements. I think you are arguing they are earned entitlements because you have already paid for them.

But, it's important for the federal budget to distinguish between entitlements (mandatory spending) and non-entitlements, which is discretionary spending in the budget.
__________________

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
  #42  
Old 04-07-2020, 06:17 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 846 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
I adopt a slightly different turn of phrase regarding social security and medicare. By government definition, they are entitlements. I think you are arguing they are earned entitlements because you have already paid for them.

But, it's important for the federal budget to distinguish between entitlements (mandatory spending) and non-entitlements, which is discretionary spending in the budget.

Well...I look upon it as “you took my money for many years for those before us with the promise to do the same for us as we grew older. Time to pay the piper and that makes it mandatory for me”.
  #43  
Old 04-08-2020, 05:37 AM
Paper1 Paper1 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 5
Thanked 83 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Well...I look upon it as “you took my money for many years for those before us with the promise to do the same for us as we grew older. Time to pay the piper and that makes it mandatory for me”.
You really should tell that to your children and grandchildren not this forum
  #44  
Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,746
Thanks: 705
Thanked 1,615 Times in 663 Posts
Default

We will start to BUY and DEMAND AMERICAN made products. We will learn to help our neighbors. Teach our children how take care of themselves. We will for sure enjoy the outdoors!
  #45  
Old 04-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Rebel Pirate's Avatar
Rebel Pirate Rebel Pirate is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Well...I look upon it as “you took my money for many years for those before us with the promise to do the same for us as we grew older. Time to pay the piper and that makes it mandatory for me”.
Once we started down that road (Social Security and Medicare) there is no way to go back to the beginning ... and no off ramp. Both are good examples of (well intended) social welfare. But, the mathematics has changed. In 1945, there were 42 workers supporting each social security recipients. By 2010, there were 3 workers supporting each recipient.

Is Social Security a Ponzi scheme? Well, not really. But, there are some differences and similarities. I think the biggest similarity is that both are doomed to financial collapse after the passage of sufficient amount of time; that's not gonna happen anytime soon mind you, but it WILL happen. The biggest difference is that one is legal and one is illegal.
__________________

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Closed Thread

Tags
people, save, learn, change, country

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.