Where to buy fresh raw seafood?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtracer49 View Post
Where is the closest place to buy fresh shrimp and seafood near the Villages?

Lighthouse on 466. Slams Club has it but I would not trust where it came from.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
What about the fresh seafood sold at Brownwood on Saturday mornings?
We used to buy very good fresh seafood from the Farmers Market in SS before it was cancelled. Is the seafood vendor in Brownwood the same that used to be at Spanish Springs? They sell their fish out of a boat filled with delicious fish on ice. If it is the same vendor it would be worth the long golf cart ride to Brownwood.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We used to buy very good fresh seafood from the Farmers Market in SS before it was cancelled. Is the seafood vendor in Brownwood the same that used to be at Spanish Springs? They sell their fish out of a boat filled with delicious fish on ice. If it is the same vendor it would be worth the long golf cart ride to Brownwood.
Yes, it is.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Wow! Fresh Market, Lighthouse Seafood, and swordfish.

Our visiting son loves fish. I'm a scaredy cat cooking fish, unless it's baking salmon. I went to Fresh Market today, looking for Chilean sea bass. They had none, but they had swordfish steaks. "I'll take the swordfish," I said. The guy behind the counter said, "You don't want that." What do I know, so I didn't buy.

Then I went to Lighthouse; their swordfish looked fabulous. I could tell the difference from Fresh Market just by looking. I asked them how to cook it. I'm thinking grilled, but the lady said, "Keep it simple, salt & pepper, very lightly dust with flour, pan sear in olive oil and add a knob of butter at the end to baste." I have a 12-inch cast-iron frying pan, so that's what I did. It was a good inch thick (1.37 lb piece). I used salt & pepper and dusted very lightly with Wondra flour. I heated the oil on medium, cooked the fish 6 minutes on one side, turned, added a tbs of butter, 4 minutes on the other side & basted with the butter/olive oil mixture. At $16+/pound, I was a bit nervous, so I cut into it after six minutes when I turned it & cut a minute off the cooking time for second side. (I've heard 11 minutes per inch for fish.) It was sooooooo good.

Our son said it was much better than what he makes at home, but he buys frozen from Kroger. I really think the quality of the fish was so good and the cooking method so simple that I could only mess it up by overcooking. Kudos to Fresh Market's honesty and Lighthouse's quality.

Last edited by CFrance; 12-28-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We split the order for Christmas Eve between Stokes in Leesburg and The Lighthouse. The Lighthouse wins by a Dorsal Fin.

Truthfully everything from both stores were great, no complaints here. The Snow Crab Legs were perfect and the Lobster and Scallops were great to!

CFrances meal has my mouth watering but it's Italian night tonight over here!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We split the order for Christmas Eve between Stokes in Leesburg and The Lighthouse. The Lighthouse wins by a Dorsal Fin.

Truthfully everything from both stores were great, no complaints here. The Snow Crab Legs were perfect and the Lobster and Scallops were great to!

CFrances meal has my mouth watering but it's Italian night tonight over here!
"wins by a dorsal fin..." lol

Tags
buy, fresh, seafood, raw, closest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.