"White power"!

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,078 Posts
Default "White power"!

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. - Martin Luther King, Jr. at BrainyQuote

I heard a three-some of twenty somethings outside of Ace Hardware where I was getting propane yell out "White Power!" while I was walking to get the golf cart.

I never expected to hear something so offensive in 2016 in the Villages.

It just angers me after all the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960s that we have in some locations pushed ourselves back to the 1950s in some respects.

These were three Caucasians saying this. I am Caucasian but my late younger brother Chuck's wife Grace is a Jamaican-American and was in the Navy as one of the people who supplies the SEAL Teams. She has been to the Villages on several occasions with her son and did pick up on attitudes against their mixed marriage from both races as did my late younger brother Chuck.

Her other son is the boy who says "Pizza" in the Robin Williams featured movie August Rush. August Rush (2007) - Rotten Tomatoes Robin Williams - Rotten Tomatoes

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Thats terrible and uncalled for in this day and age.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
Have never seen any of these three twenty somethings before. I think they were just trying to get a rise out of anyone coming by.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. - Martin Luther King, Jr. at BrainyQuote

I heard a three-some of twenty somethings outside of Ace Hardware where I was getting propane yell out "White Power!" while I was walking to get the golf cart.

I never expected to hear something so offensive in 2016 in the Villages.

It just angers me after all the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960s that we have in some locations pushed ourselves back to the 1950s in some respects.

These were three Caucasians saying this. I am Caucasian but my late younger brother Chuck's wife Grace is a Jamaican-American and was in the Navy as one of the people who supplies the SEAL Teams. She has been to the Villages on several occasions with her son and did pick up on attitudes against their mixed marriage from both races as did my late younger brother Chuck.

Her other son is the boy who says "Pizza" in the Robin Williams featured movie August Rush. August Rush (2007) - Rotten Tomatoes Robin Williams - Rotten Tomatoes
It is disgusting I agree, but they are within their constitution rights to say these type of things. As both of my WWII Navy veteran parents taught me... "I disagree with what you say but will fight to the death your right to say it."
Old 08-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Ok bigotry will never go away. Man is by far the cruelest creature on this planet. Eventually we will cease to exist. Hopefully we do not destroy the planet in the process.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
It is disgusting I agree, but they are within their constitution rights to say these type of things. As both of my WWII Navy veteran parents taught me... "I disagree with what you say but will fight to the death your right to say it."
Well, they can say that but where they say it could have dire consequences for them. I often think back of the scene in Die Hard with a Vengeance where John McClane has to wear a certain placard in the middle of Harlem. The placard says something much worse than "White Power" and if seen by the wrong gang members would get McClane killed rather quickly.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-22-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,923 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
Ok bigotry will never go away. Man is by far the cruelest creature on this planet. Eventually we will cease to exist. Hopefully we do not destroy the planet in the process.

I have become more aware of cruelty than I ever was before in my entire life since I moved here, which was about at the same time I started reading and posting on public media. Anonymous people can and do say terrible CRUEL, bating, pot stirring things just to anger other people.. There was another attempt at a huge fight on this Forum today. The moddies are all saints if you ask me.

You cannot legislate or direct morality or kindness. You cannot make people be good inside, laws can only make them act a certain way or be punished.

I am not above being sucked in, it is hard to walk away from nasty bating statements that you know are largely incorrect and just meant to make people upset.

And I have made those kinds of statements myself at times. Many of us are anonymous but our values show who we are, loud and clear.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, except I would use the term 'humans'...instead of just 'man.'
Old 08-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Sage

I had a professor in college who would say "Well. that classifies them." when someone was reported to say something really dumb. When I read Tal's post, I was reminded of that. And the saying about it being better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and proving it. I'd probably just laugh AT them.

Maybe these guys went to the Lochte School of Diplomacy.

Last edited by Mikeod; 08-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Man is the ONLY cruel creature on this planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default "White power"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Well, they can say that but where they say it could have dire consequences for them. I often think back of the scene in Die Hard with a Vengeance where John McClane has to wear a certain placard in the middle of Harlem. The placard says something much worse than "White Power" and if seen by the wrong gang members would get McClane killed rather quickly.

With respect, I don't think you get it. Using the word "n-I-g-g-e-r" either should not be infringed. It is free speech. Let the white trash spew their hate, no one with intelligence is listening. We do after all live in central Florida.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,342 Posts

Sadly have heard remarks in our old neighborhood in TV. And comments about Asians as well. Our grands are Vietnamese. I just consider those who make unintelligent comments are not bright enough to be out on their own.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:53 PM

I agree MILES!! man is the MOST dangerous animal ever on earth.. cruel , pompous, arrogant , controlling, and the most deadly .
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,923 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Old white republican men seem to dominate here. The times they are a changing.

"Old, white, Republican men seem to dominate here." Actually, statistically there are more old white Republican women here.

People and stereotypes change over time.

As Farmers Insurance says "We've learned a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two."

Tags
late, younger, brother, villages, power

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.