Why do fewer men dance than women?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Sage
Default takes time to learn

i think most guys are surprised how difficult and athletic dancing really is...a good dancer makes it look easy but when you try to take lessons, it is apparent that one needs a lot of practice, just like as in any sport....if men could approach dancing as an athletic activity, perhaps they could value it more and become more proficient... but most ladies do not expect fred astaire or gene kelly, they are just happy to get him out on the dancefloor!! i think some men think dancing is for sissys! it really is not! the guy who is sitting at the bar drinking while watching ladies dance is not the guy who will impress those he is watching! and he is probably a lot fatter!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM

I love dancing! But, you must remember, the longest walk for a guy was across the gym floor after mustering the courage to ask a girl to dance and she said NO!

Growing up in the 50's, dancing was the thing. I would even practice dancing at home with a door knob. Sounds weird, but as you practiced, you could swing the door to and fro to move around. The rage in Alabama was the "PC Bop", which we practiced a lot to learn "cool moves" so when we would go to Panama City Beach, we could "cut a rug" with the best of them from Georgia and surrounding areas.

What excites me about dancing in the Villages is I don't care what anyone thinks about my dancing. . . I'm out there to enjoy myself. . . not impress anyone.

Finally, one big hurdle for dancing with a new partner at the squares is you don't know how each other dances. Guess that's why line dances are so popular. I enjoy them, but love dancing with my honey better!!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Sage

Now that's what I'm talking about...dance like nobody's watching. I never say no to a dance request unless the guy has been obnoxious. I love just about every form of dance A to Z!
Glad to hear you and your sweetie are secure enough to not cling. good to hear some paired up folks dance with others.
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
I love dancing! But, you must remember, the longest walk for a guy was across the gym floor after mustering the courage to ask a girl to dance and she said NO!

Growing up in the 50's, dancing was the thing. I would even practice dancing at home with a door knob. Sounds weird, but as you practiced, you could swing the door to and fro to move around. The rage in Alabama was the "PC Bop", which we practiced a lot to learn "cool moves" so when we would go to Panama City Beach, we could "cut a rug" with the best of them from Georgia and surrounding areas.

What excites me about dancing in the Villages is I don't care what anyone thinks about my dancing. . . I'm out there to enjoy myself. . . not impress anyone.

Finally, one big hurdle for dancing with a new partner at the squares is you don't know how each other dances. Guess that's why line dances are so popular. I enjoy them, but love dancing with my honey better!!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

I think the simple answer is that there are more women than there are men.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage

I'm taking another stab at this...I know how awkward I used to feel wishing somebody would ask me to dance, but never daring to break the tradition that guys ask. I'm pretty much off the chain on that now as enough suffering from not dancing is enough.

Guessing that guys also feel awkward and don't want to feel rejected if the woman says no? I asked a guy the other night who said no, but I was asked by others. I have the attitude that a no isn't about me, it's that the other person just wants to look at dancing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.