Why Florida?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I started looking for a retirement place 10 years ago. I researched over 100 different places in several countries, about 65 in the US and 35 international places. I looked at about every available factor. Climate, cost of living, weather, local attractions, availability of health care, congestion, accessibility, activities for seniors, golf, initial investment, and probably several I have forgotten. From my research I got it down to about 6 places. TV, Myrtle Beach, San Carlos Mexico, Ashville, Hawaii, coast of Florida South of Tampa. I visited most of these and TV won hands down. Everything you compare they win. Freeda hit many of them in her post above. Some of the other items I liked here were the College of Life Long Learning, the many clubs, the free entertainment, golf, golf, the golf cart accessibility to everything, and the total cost of living being so low. Hard to beat this place when you look at all factors.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I feel like I am in school again with my peers.

My parents retired to Venice. I hated everything about Florida. I hated the heat, the plasticy touristy places, the tourists, the inflated prices in stores near resorts, the funny itchy grass, the sameness of the seasons, never seeing much change in the plants, etc......etc....I hated it.

I still don't really LIKE Florida, but I absolutely LOVE The Villages.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

We began our search 5 years ago. Looked from Williamsburg, VA all the way down the coast. Wanted warm weather, good golf, and affordable. Had just about settled on Myrtle Beach, when we toured TV and was sold on it.
And since for the first few years we will be part time, being only one tank of gas from our home to TV is a BIG PLUS!!!

Army Guy
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Default Why Florida

Thanks for the comments, did anybody look into the Rio Grand Valley?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
SNOK

I would be interested to know if anyone considered Reynolds Plantation in Georgia?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

SNOK, WE DID!!! Reynolds was very high on our list. They are a VERY close knit community for activities, not as many as TV, but still have stuff. The place is absolutely beautiful and very refined. Nothing out of place, etc. The things that killed it for us were, had to pay high fees for golf, and the home costs were on the very upper end of what we had figured.
But it is a very nice place.

Army Guy
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Was raised in Florida, swore I'd never move back. Loved the seasons in TN for many years, then decided I didn't like the cold so much.

Picked TV because I won't have to evacuate during a hurricane. The Florida winters make the Florida summers worthwhile. We looked at several of the other retirement communities in the Ocala to Tampa area. Once you spend a few days in TV, nothing else compares.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotalyn View Post
Thanks for the comments, did anybody look into the Rio Grand Valley?

I currently live in Texas and the Rio Grande Valley is the absolute pits!! Even we native Texans don't go there. Too dirty and too much like Mexico. Trust me!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Spent quite a few vacations touring the east coast from Virginia to Florida (Really did like Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head) before we visited The Villages. My husband golfs - I don't. We both bowl. I love being part of groups and being involved with the community. After our second day visit, I told my husband that I don't care where he goes when he retires, I'm coming here! 5 1/2 years later I still go "WOW" when I travel about in my golf car. The 3 seasons of weather, the variety of activity and the wonderful location when friends come to visit the theme parks are just a few of the perks. I don't know of any place that can compare with the beauty, activity and friendliness found here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.