Why NO Fireworks at The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

[QUOTE=duffysmom;211867]Personally I dislike fireworks. Extremely disturbing to the wildlife as well as family pets. I vote for silent fireworks, where you enjoy the sparkle without the boom.

i have to agree with you I have 3 horses who are literally petrified of even bottle rockets. the couple days before and after the 4th are very upsetting for our crew here.. glad they do not have them in TV. guess I am just getting old...lol nah i refuse!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I suspect the profit motive plays a large part in why we don't have fireworks in TV. I would like to see them here.

If I remember correctly (to change the subject just slightly and still support my "profit" contention) we had some very wonderful New Years Eves on each square, free music, etc. One year "someone" (I honestly don't know who) decided to "sell" reserved seating at all the table the Entertainment or Recreation Department people put around the squares for New Years Eve. They even sold a lot of tickets. Then they realized what a brouhaha that would cause when people without tickets stole seats. So they cancelled the whole thing, stopped having late music on New Years Eve, stopped putting out tables and chairs, in other words - lose/lose for all TV residents on that great idea! If I remember, they blamed the cancellation on the Police claiming the police wanted it cancelled due to DUI, public drunkness, rowdy behavior and crowd control concerns.

I suspect a really spectactular 4th of July event would fall under the same guidelines if, in fact, the police were the motivating factor behind the New Years Eve cnacellations.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Thank you, Muncie. I was thinking along the same lines. With some people no matter what the developer does its wroing.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Muncle,

Once again you nailed it...

And not to hijack this thread but...

...in 37 minutes I am expecting a painter from the developer to knock on my door. She is coming to touch up little spots, dings, missed areas etc. Most are from before we moved in, but many are from the move. The builder doesn't care. He told us to wait until all was moved in so he could touch up everything for us - regardless of who got the mark on hte wall.

This is the 3rd home I've built (first in TV) - never got that service from any of the other guys.

Yes the developer is rich (some inherited, some on his own) and successful. I always thought those were traits we admired.

To quote Russ_Boston quoting Dennis Miller "It's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Just a Thought

Personally, I would prefer to see the money that would be spent on fireworks put to a better use. I always loved them as a kid, but had no idea that there was cost involved. How about helping someone who really needs it because they have lost their job and can't feed their family or pay the bills? How about a big donation to the food pantries around here? I'm not talking about those that won't help themselves...just those that can't right now through no fault of their own. My point is that there is bound to be some charitable way to spend the money instead of blowing it up in smoke. On another note, I don't think anyone that posts on here needs to be reminded, but how about each of us reminding someone we see not doing it to stand (if it is physically possible) and remove their hat when the flag is presented or the national anthem is played. I have seen some that think it is only necessary when the military is involved. I may be old-fashioned, but I still love this country and count it a blessing to have been granted the privilege to be born here. Let's respect it while we still have it and can. OK, off the soap-box now. Have a good day!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

I glad TV doesn't do fireworks. For those who enjoy fireworks, and the fair-like activities surrounding them, getting out into the the towns adjacent to TV and "mingling with the natives" provides a greater feeling of community within the Central Florida region. There is a fantastic world outside the gates, and all too often people come to TV and never leave the CDDs, excluding themselves from the rest of the area.

The communities which comprise Lake, Marion and Sumter Counties offer many interesting experiences. We are part of these counties, and while living solely within the TV conclave is one's right, much is indeed missed.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
While I love fireworks on the 4th with the 1812 playing and church bells ringing (even though the composer was Russian and the story was about Russia and France), fireworks themselves have been around long before our independence - something like China in the 12th century.
Yes, the noise from fireworks can be annoying and scare horses and other animals. Of course dogs have sensitive ears. That being said, my only point , as insignificant as it is, was that war can be sometimes loud, dirty and inconvenient. It sure got us some great results, though, huh?
I wish everybody a great, safe and enjoyable Independence Day!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Jo View Post
Thank you, Muncie. I was thinking along the same lines. With some people no matter what the developer does its wroing.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Sage

Dillywho,

your soapbox speech was very meaningful, I appreciate it!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Dilly,

I completely agree, The 4th is a great time to remember that freedom is not free. When we lived in Conn we used to go to concerts at the Coast Guard Academy in New London. One piece the band usually played was a medley or the themes of all the branches of the service. They encouraged those currently or formerly in that branch to stand when their "song" was played. I think for children like mine who had a childhood without us being at war, it gave them pause to see so many of their dads and moms participate. The band played the CG anthem last - while standing themselves. No dry eyes in the house.

I also love fireworks, but am glad they do not have them in TV. They would attract a large number of folks from the area and the traffic etc would be miserable. Like Steve, I think this is a good time to leave the bubble for a bit.

Kate
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Smile 4th July

Does anyone know when if there are fireworks in Leesburg or where close?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Just like the space shot.........

If you go to Truman or Odell and just stand there, you can see all of the fireworks from the neighboring areas.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Default Fireworks in Leesburg

See Link

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/hometown...july_2006.aspx
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Default Fireworks

Does anyone know where they are having fireworks close by? ?Leesburg ? Eustis?

Thanks so much
Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGoose View Post
Why doesn't the Morse family have a grand fireworks display. Sumter landing is perfect. Launch them from the golf course over the lake....

Anyone know why?
I wonder too why they don't invite us for Thanksgiving Dinner, give away Candy to all for Halloween, wash our cars, pay for our medicine, etc. Give us a break. They sold you a home what more do you want them to do for you?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.