Why no Flags

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 AM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,469
Thanks: 57
Thanked 993 Times in 375 Posts
Default Why no Flags

Mrs and I attended one of the squares last evening .
After living here 10 years plus it finally came to my attention there's no US flag at the squares nor any visible in the surrounding area.
Being such a patriotic community that we are just surprised our country's symbol isn't being displayed

Nor an emoji of the US flag either on this site
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #2  
Old 01-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Xcuse Xcuse is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

http://www.**************.com/wp-con...er-Landing.jpg
Tried to show a copy of the flag flying at Lake Sumter Landing near the radio station, but the link isn't letting me copy it.
  #3  
Old 01-11-2020, 10:27 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,593
Thanks: 2,517
Thanked 3,093 Times in 945 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Mrs and I attended one of the squares last evening .
After living here 10 years plus it finally came to my attention there's no US flag at the squares nor any visible in the surrounding area.
Being such a patriotic community that we are just surprised our country's symbol isn't being displayed

Nor an emoji of the US flag either on this site
I find it refreshing. Shoving patriotism in each others' faces doesn't prove you are patriotic. It just proves you feel the need to show off. I'm surrounded by flags in my neighborhood now, and it's frankly a turnoff.

It's sort of like a belief in a religion. Wearing a cross on a chain, plus a cross on your lapel, plus Jesus bumper stickers on your car, plus a creche in your front yard for 90 days, plus a statue of Jesus on your porch, plus a huge bloody Jesus cross over your bed - tells me that you like the "in your face" method of worship. It doesn't tell me that you actually believe in any of the religion.

The people who perform patriotic acts impress me more than the flags they fly or the Veteran hats they wear (and I've learned that many of these "veterans" aren't even veterans - they wear the hats into stores to get the discounts).
  #4  
Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 AM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,456
Thanks: 2,839
Thanked 1,068 Times in 499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Mrs and I attended one of the squares last evening .
After living here 10 years plus it finally came to my attention there's no US flag at the squares nor any visible in the surrounding area.
Being such a patriotic community that we are just surprised our country's symbol isn't being displayed

Nor an emoji of the US flag either on this site
Next time you are at Spanish Springs look down Main St. towards 441. There is a VERY LARGE flag flying. Also one at Veterans' Memorial Park.

At LSL a flag is flying in front of the radio station.

I don't know about Paddock Sq. so I will not comment...... others may want to try that approach!
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9
  #5  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Joe V. Joe V. is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 207
Thanks: 2,548
Thanked 364 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I find it refreshing. Shoving patriotism in each others' faces doesn't prove you are patriotic. It just proves you feel the need to show off. I'm surrounded by flags in my neighborhood now, and it's frankly a turnoff.

It's sort of like a belief in a religion. Wearing a cross on a chain, plus a cross on your lapel, plus Jesus bumper stickers on your car, plus a creche in your front yard for 90 days, plus a statue of Jesus on your porch, plus a huge bloody Jesus cross over your bed - tells me that you like the "in your face" method of worship. It doesn't tell me that you actually believe in any of the religion.

The people who perform patriotic acts impress me more than the flags they fly or the Veteran hats they wear (and I've learned that many of these "veterans" aren't even veterans - they wear the hats into stores to get the discounts).
What stores give veteran's discounts for merely wearing a hat? I am always asked for my retired military ID to confirm if I am eligible.
  #6  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:51 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,675 Times in 745 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I find it refreshing. Shoving patriotism in each others' faces doesn't prove you are patriotic. It just proves you feel the need to show off. I'm surrounded by flags in my neighborhood now, and it's frankly a turnoff.

It's sort of like a belief in a religion. Wearing a cross on a chain, plus a cross on your lapel, plus Jesus bumper stickers on your car, plus a creche in your front yard for 90 days, plus a statue of Jesus on your porch, plus a huge bloody Jesus cross over your bed - tells me that you like the "in your face" method of worship. It doesn't tell me that you actually believe in any of the religion.

The people who perform patriotic acts impress me more than the flags they fly or the Veteran hats they wear (and I've learned that many of these "veterans" aren't even veterans - they wear the hats into stores to get the discounts).
Bait!?!?
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #7  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,097
Thanks: 142
Thanked 1,200 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I find it refreshing. Shoving patriotism in each others' faces doesn't prove you are patriotic. It just proves you feel the need to show off. I'm surrounded by flags in my neighborhood now, and it's frankly a turnoff.

It's sort of like a belief in a religion. Wearing a cross on a chain, plus a cross on your lapel, plus Jesus bumper stickers on your car, plus a creche in your front yard for 90 days, plus a statue of Jesus on your porch, plus a huge bloody Jesus cross over your bed - tells me that you like the "in your face" method of worship. It doesn't tell me that you actually believe in any of the religion.

The people who perform patriotic acts impress me more than the flags they fly or the Veteran hats they wear (and I've learned that many of these "veterans" aren't even veterans - they wear the hats into stores to get the discounts).
Actually as many have noticed and commented on...there is a HUGE AMOUNT of FAUX patriotism in The Villages for some reason. So much so, it has left a void where REAL patriotism should be, and takes away from the REALITY of what it means to be patriotic and honor our country.
  #8  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:59 AM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,516
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,447 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Actually as many have noticed and commented on...there is a HUGE AMOUNT of FAUX patriotism in The Villages for some reason. So much so, it has left a void where REAL patriotism should be, and takes away from the REALITY of what it means to be patriotic and honor our country.
YEP...nailed it!
  #9  
Old 01-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,097
Thanks: 142
Thanked 1,200 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Bait!?!?
I took the post to which you reply NOT to be bait at all, and simply an opinion with which I believe to be totally accurate.

I find the OP to be more of "bait" than the poster you accuse.

I offer no opinion on either poster as I do not know them, but find your accusation to be a bit out of line.

LOUD voices are not a pre requisite for demonstrating patriotism.
  #10  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:25 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,516
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,447 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I took the post to which you reply NOT to be bait at all, and simply an opinion with which I believe to be totally accurate.

I find the OP to be more of "bait" than the poster you accuse.

I offer no opinion on either poster as I do not know them, but find your accusation to be a bit out of line.

LOUD voices are not a pre requisite for demonstrating patriotism.


It sure would be nice, if certain folks were capable of understanding...that obvious & simple truism.



.
  #11  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,443
Thanks: 163
Thanked 661 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Actually as many have noticed and commented on...there is a HUGE AMOUNT of FAUX patriotism in The Villages for some reason...
I’m honestly wondering what sorts of things fall into that category.
  #12  
Old 01-11-2020, 02:16 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,516
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,447 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m honestly wondering what sorts of things fall into that category.
Hmm, methinks anytime someone puts a party/person, over country...would fit that category.
  #13  
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,097
Thanks: 142
Thanked 1,200 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m honestly wondering what sorts of things fall into that category.
When a flurry of so called patriotism is noted on this forum, and in parades honoring one person, a visible non patriot, I consider that lip service only.

Honoring our REAL hero's, even if they do not agree with you or yours, honoring actions FOR the country, yelling loudly about those who actually steal from vets, then proclaim patriotism,would be a few simple exclamations.

I have problems with so called patrons of patriotism who are NOTHING but phony talk.
  #14  
Old 01-11-2020, 04:29 PM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 5,473
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 1,550 Times in 674 Posts
Default

There is some work involved, they would need lights to operate if they fly the flag at night or have someone whose job is to put up and take down flag everyday. I went to the Molly Hatchet concert at Savannah Center last Wednesday and when the band brought out the American Flag the place went nuts.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
  #15  
Old 01-11-2020, 04:32 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,593
Thanks: 2,517
Thanked 3,093 Times in 945 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Bait!?!?
I refer you to your own signature quote from Samuel Clemens, and add the context: He said if he were to teach patriotism in schools he would...

"throw out the old maxim, ‘My country, right or wrong,’ etc., and instead I would say, ‘My country when she is right.’ Because patriotism is supporting your country all the time, but your government only when it deserves it."

No, not bait. It's called an opinion, on a discussion forum.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, squares, area, patriotic, community

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.