Why so much selling after just one year?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2023, 09:41 AM
Gold member
Default Why so much selling after just one year?

In the paper yesterday there were 15 pages of homes for sale south of 44 in the newer area. Many of these homes are very expensive. Some of them over one million dollars.
According to the rules after a new sale of a home, you cannot resale that home until you keep it for one year. What are the reasons for selling these nice home after such a short time? I don't get it.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Not exactly. The rule is that you can resell the house at any time, but, if the sale price exceeds the cost of the house, plus the sales commission, plus any upgrades, the difference must be paid to the developer.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
In the paper yesterday there were 15 pages of homes for sale south of 44 in the newer area. Many of these homes are very expensive. Some of them over one million dollars.
According to the rules after a new sale of a home, you cannot resale that home until you keep it for one year. What are the reasons for selling these nice home after such a short time? I don't get it.
They were bought as investments, not as a place for the owner to live.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
They were bought as investments, not as a place for the owner to live.
Rule still stands for either owner occupied or investment. Under a year profit goes to the developer
Old 03-01-2023, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,366 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Rule still stands for either owner occupied or investment. Under a year profit goes to the developer
That is true - but were any of the homes less than a year old? I have seen some homes for sale but they say that they can't close until a certain date in the future.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Good question: why are so many up for resale so quickly?
Old 03-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,568 Times in 429 Posts

The Villages isn't for everybody. I know some people can't comprehend that, but not everyone likes a fast paced, active, sometimes very crowded lifestyle in retirement. Some people buy a house they haven't actually looked at and don't care for the surroundings (their fault....). I have friends who have moved every year after buying in brand new villages. Moving a lot isn't for me, but some people like that. My friends have made a lot of $$ doing that.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,773 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The Villages isn't for everybody. I know some people can't comprehend that, but not everyone likes a fast paced, active, sometimes very crowded lifestyle in retirement. Some people buy a house they haven't actually looked at and don't care for the surroundings (their fault....). I have friends who have moved every year after buying in brand new villages. Moving a lot isn't for me, but some people like that. My friends have made a lot of $$ doing that.
I recall reading back in 2019 that Villagers move, once they're in The Villages, an average of five more times within The Villages. Seems like a lot, considering that many of us, realistically speaking, are not that far removed from the curtain coming down.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,945 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
SO most of them have a different mind set than you. You may have bought your near ideal house and financially secure. Others might want to take the appreciation and build another house at a cheaper price as its cheaper to build in a new location or build a better house with the profits. . also there are divorce reasons, medical/death reasons, family reasons. . those three reasons are the big three which a retirement population deals with all the time. . . and cause house turnovers. . . the fourth is house appreciation to add to financial security. .
fifth is downsizing with age . . . not high on the list. .

we bought ours at $355, currently zillow at $560, that's a nice chunk of change if we needed more savings for retirement . . .

so the answer is not everyone thinks like you, not everyone has your financial situation, and if you are wanting to move to TV, a resale gets you here faster, if you can afford it. .

have an open mind. .

psychological guy
Old 03-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Asking price is often far removed from reality. Once south of Richmond it might as well be Mars
Old 03-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
SO most of them have a different mind set than you. You may have bought your near ideal house and financially secure. Others might want to take the appreciation and build another house at a cheaper price as its cheaper to build in a new location or build a better house with the profits. . also there are divorce reasons, medical/death reasons, family reasons. . those three reasons are the big three which a retirement population deals with all the time. . . and cause house turnovers. . . the fourth is house appreciation to add to financial security. .

we bought ours at $355, currently zillow at $560, that's a nice chunk of change if we needed more savings for retirement . . .

so the answer is not everyone thinks like you, not everyone has your financial situation, and if you are wanting to move to TV, a resale gets you here faster, if you can afford it. .

have an open mind. .

psychological guy
Well said. We've owned four homes in ten years in The Villages. Our choice, our decision. Many people can't comprehend the thought, I can't comprehend living in one home for years. Moving suits us, we ask nothing of anyone and figure it out....and we ignore the negative comments. Yes, to each their own, it's served us well.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,341 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Well said. We've owned four homes in ten years in The Villages. Our choice, our decision. Many people can't comprehend the thought, I can't comprehend living in one home for years. Moving suits us, we ask nothing of anyone and figure it out....and we ignore the negative comments. Yes, to each their own, it's served us well.
Did you move a lot in your pre- retirement years? If you did maybe thats why you cant stay in one location for long
Old 03-01-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Asking price is often far removed from reality. Once south of Richmond it might as well be Mars
lol - we feel the same way about Spanish Springs. Other than bowling, oh, and Chicos, I have no desire to go there.

We are in St Cats. Coming up on our 2 year anniversary. The house across from us just sold for over a million. No water view, on the preserve so trees behind. Nothing owed to the developer after a year. It cost around 700k to build.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I recall reading back in 2019 that Villagers move, once they're in The Villages, an average of five more times within The Villages. Seems like a lot, considering that many of us, realistically speaking, are not that far removed from the curtain coming down.
I know it's only supposition, but, FIVE times does seems like an exaggeration ! Having been here for many years now, and most of us on our block had our homes built at (relatively) the same time, 3 have actually moved to another location within the villages (2 decided on a villa to cut down on yard work, etc. and one moved to a new home in the Brownwood area). We have also had 2 (originals) move out of the Villages completely. In both cases, they relocated here in central Florida, but felt the expense of the amenity fee was not a value for them since the activities they enjoy are relatively free in any community (bike and walking trails, card games, parks, swimming pool, local softball teams and games, etc.) to one moved to Inverness area, one to area of Spring Hill.
In my opinion, a good number of people vacation here and are "dazzled", like most of us are when we vacation. On our very first visit to the keys 40 years ago, my initial thought was THIS is it, I wish we could relocation here RIGHT NOW. Never entered my mind there could also be many negatives as well as positives. Think this happens to many who don't spend much time truly exploring the reality of day to day living in ANY location they are considering. A 2 week visit to Florida, with a number of 1 day stops at various "retirement" locations, is just not a reliable foundation for such a huge investment... but... it works out for some. Why have we stayed in light of many negatives, the number and selection of golf courses we have never found anywhere else (and we've looked...LOL!)
Old 03-01-2023, 01:14 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

have an open mind. .

psychological guy
Well stated ! The "turn over" here probably is a much higher percentage than an average community. The increase in property value (as you expressed your own case) is probably a major factor. Our very close friends, financially secure friends, suddenly decided to sell their villages home (they had 2 homes for years) and spend all the profits (substantial and sold the 3rd day it was one the market !) traveling the world while they are in good health. They just returned from 15 day cruise and will be heading to Europe in just a few weeks for many weeks of river cruising, and 3 more trips planned following that. So far, they love the traveling more than having a vacation home in Florida.. again, we all have our preferences and desires. Best to follow them is my philosophy...LOL !
Closed Thread

Tags
home, year, selling, homes, sale

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.