Will the Villages ever bring back katie Belle's?

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Question Will the Villages ever bring back katie Belle's?

The newer villagers probably haven't heard of Katie Belle's which was a Villager only unique 2 story country dance hall with 2 restaurants located in Spanish Springs. For many it was the place to go and bring out of town guests. Down stairs there was a large dance floor with a raised stage and casual dining around the floor to watch the dancers. Upstairs was a fine dinning restaurant “Cattle Barren” overlooking the dance floor. There was a live band everyday. Katie Belles was unique, everyone we knew loved it and I'm sure it had a lot to do with many of us buying our first home here; but for some reason The Villages closed it. In our opinion, and everyone else we talk to, it was and remains The Villages biggest mistake. I guess I should also say the Villages built an outstanding community and I don't think they make many mistakes. As The Villages grew, many hoped they would build a new Katie Belle's and it seemed like a wonderful location was Brownwood across the street from Blue Fin. Of course we know that isn't going to happen since we will be graced with some other restaurant serving health food I think. The excitement is really building on this!!!!

But, besides bringing back a sore subject for many, it turns out The Villages announced in today's (11/23/21) paper they are planning to put apartments in the Van Patten building were Katie Belle's was located.

Just wondering what others think about the old Katie Belle's and The Villages building a new one – Someplace? Who knows, maybe someone who counts will read this and listen. I think the advertisement value of Katie Belle's far exceeded the restaurant profit.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
The newer villagers probably haven't heard of Katie Belle's which was a Villager only unique 2 story country dance hall with 2 restaurants located in Spanish Springs. For many it was the place to go and bring out of town guests. Down stairs there was a large dance floor with a raised stage and casual dining around the floor to watch the dancers. Upstairs was a fine dinning restaurant “Cattle Barren” overlooking the dance floor. There was a live band everyday. Katie Belles was unique, everyone we knew loved it and I'm sure it had a lot to do with many of us buying our first home here; but for some reason The Villages closed it. In our opinion, and everyone else we talk to, it was and remains The Villages biggest mistake. I guess I should also say the Villages built an outstanding community and I don't think they make many mistakes. As The Villages grew, many hoped they would build a new Katie Belle's and it seemed like a wonderful location was Brownwood across the street from Blue Fin. Of course we know that isn't going to happen since we will be graced with some other restaurant serving health food I think. The excitement is really building on this!!!!

But, besides bringing back a sore subject for many, it turns out The Villages announced in today's (11/23/21) paper they are planning to put apartments in the Van Patten building were Katie Belle's was located.

Just wondering what others think about the old Katie Belle's and The Villages building a new one – Someplace? Who knows, maybe someone who counts will read this and listen. I think the advertisement value of Katie Belle's far exceeded the restaurant profit.
Katie Belle's downstairs was closed because it was not making a profit. The Cattle Baron was an okay restaurant not fine dining. The upstairs Katie Belle's restaurant was much better then the Cattle Baron and had good entertainment. Not enough people wanted to pay for shows and dinner.
The Harvest opening across from Blue Fin is not a health food restaurant. It will be a very good restaurant along the the lines of Blue Fin and Chop House.
When Katie Belle's was closed all furnishings were removed. There will be apts in the upstairs.
I can not fathom why rhey would reopen a business that is not profitable.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Katie Belle's downstairs was closed because it was not making a profit. The Cattle Baron was an okay restaurant not fine dining. The upstairs Katie Belle's restaurant was much better then the Cattle Baron and had good entertainment. Not enough people wanted to pay for shows and dinner.
The Harvest opening across from Blue Fin is not a health food restaurant. It will be a very good restaurant along the the lines of Blue Fin and Chop House.
When Katie Belle's was closed all furnishings were removed. There will be apts in the upstairs.
I can not fathom why rhey would reopen a business that is not profitable.
Good business planning dictates cutting losses and do not repeat a losing venue!!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

It closed before we move here but since it was losing money why would they bring it back?
Old 11-23-2021, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

My money is on the apartments, sooner, rather than later.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My money is on the apartments, sooner, rather than later.
Absolutely!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I loved Katie Belle's down to its plastic beer mugs but Villagers did not spend enough there for it to remain open. R I P Katie Belle's

Who would want to rent an apartment there with all the noise and commotion every evening?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-23-2021, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
It closed before we move here but since it was losing money why would they bring it back?
Not picking on you Stu. I have been here since 2005 and logged countless hours at KB's. Tony D (RIP) and I were on first name basis. No way did they fold because they couldn't make a profit. If that is so how can the other restaurants around the square survive when they have to pay rent and the developer didn't? No proof has ever been offered up in these countless conversations about this other than hearsay. From one who has some firsthand experience may I possibly suggest there was possibly a drug and prostitute problem that wasn't worth dealing with if one's entire livelihood depended on Katie Belle's.. Be observant to what may appear to be a sheltered bubble.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Not picking on you Stu. I have been here since 2005 and logged countless hours at KB's. No way did they fold because they couldn't make a profit. If that is so how can the other restaurants around the square survive when they have to pay rent and the developer didn't? No proof has ever been offered up in these countless conversations about this other than hearsay. From one who has some firsthand experience may I possibly suggest there was possibly a drug and prostitute problem that wasn't worth dealing with if one's entire livelihood depended on Katie Belle's.. Be observant to what may appear to be a sheltered bubble.
Really a drug and prostitute problem? I know several restaurant owners in TV and KB was closed due to lack of profit.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Wow!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,585 Times in 932 Posts

I’m sure at some point in time, the losses at KB were a “loss leader” to attract buyers.

Attracting buyers isn’t a problem anymore.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Not picking on you Stu. I have been here since 2005 and logged countless hours at KB's. Tony D (RIP) and I were on first name basis. No way did they fold because they couldn't make a profit. If that is so how can the other restaurants around the square survive when they have to pay rent and the developer didn't? No proof has ever been offered up in these countless conversations about this other than hearsay. From one who has some firsthand experience may I possibly suggest there was possibly a drug and prostitute problem that wasn't worth dealing with if one's entire livelihood depended on Katie Belle's.. Be observant to what may appear to be a sheltered bubble.
WOW!!!!! You talk about proof and then say that??????
Old 11-23-2021, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I’m sure at some point in time, the losses at KB were a “loss leader” to attract buyers.

Attracting buyers isn’t a problem anymore.
Your post nailed it!
Old 11-23-2021, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
WOW!!!!! You talk about proof and then say that??????
How can one not make a profit when people stand in line waiting to get in. Again burden is on you to show they didn't make a profit. Just produce one piece of evidence like yearly Morse meeting or (chuckle) The Villages Sun other than TV posters of which 90% spouting out this hearsay didn't live here and never stepped foot in KB's. Added footnote - let me be clear - I am talking about the original KB's. Not that poor excuse we were fed when it went upstairs. Yea that's how successful the developers wanted it to be. They put a night club on the second floor of a senior citizen's community.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-23-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

KB closed because deadbeat patrons sat for hours and hours on end nursing one drink. Food was, frankly, mediocre - nothing to brag about. In another location, probably outside of TV, KB would have been very successful.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, katie, belles, dance, floor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.