Working in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Default Working in the Villages

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with information regarding living and/or working in the villages.
I first encountered TV when I went to visit my wife's grandmother who recently relocated to TV. I instantly loved the environment and thought it would be a great place to eventually move to. Now, my in-laws are planning a move to TV, and my wife would love if we could stay close to them.
I am a physical therapist, currently living in NJ. I know that there is high demand and few options for therapy in TV and see it as a great location to start a business practice.
I have been researching employment in the villages, TC Charter schools, and nearby neighborhoods where we could live if we were to relocate to the area.
I would appreciate any information you have regarding nearby areas to live in or what your feelings on the school system are. Additionally, I have seen some information about The Villages of Parkwood, and that seems nice, but I want some more options and areas to check out the next time that I go to visit the villages. Are there any areas of The Villages Specifically designated for families or employees? If so, where are they located? Are there any good suburban areas within a 30 mile radius outside the villages that are worth looking into?

Thanks,
Sim
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Sage

Yes there are some communities for families right next to The Villages. Before making that move of inquiry though...I'd check on what the salaries are here compared to what you're used to. I had to have O.T. a year ago and the therapist had just moved here to be close to her parents. She came from near the Chicago area (not a suburb but a community close by) and said she'd taken a cut in pay. They're all fairly new and nice as well. One is off from 466---we didn't know it was for families til a year or so ago. It blends in. Another is off from Rainy Trail and the 3rd one is off from 101 near Southern Trace.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Sage

My first recommendation is to get yourself a knowlegable REALTOR - not a Village sales associate, but a REALTOR that works with the MLS. They will be knowledgable in the
surrounding areas and help you find exactly what fits your family's needs.
I believe TV charter school is probably some of the best education you could find in Florida and the cost of living is much lower here than in the north - so maybe the salary adjustment isn't as drastic as one might think. Do your due diligence and use the professionals available to help you with this decision. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Sage
One of the family areas is Bison Valley, and you can find homes for sale there on The Villages website under preowned homes.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Family neighborhoods in The Villages are Bison Valley, Spring Arbor and Oak Forest. There are also many options for houses nearby but outside TV.

You would definitely want your children to go to the Charter Schools (pre-K though High School); they are far superior to any other schools in the area and compare with the best in the state. HOWEVER, to qualify for the Charter Schools one parent MUST work for The Villages, a Villages-associated business or an employer who rents/leases space in The Villages. This is very strict. If you want to start your own office you would need to lease space from TV.

Get a TV sales agent who will explain all of this to you, and show you homes in the family neighborhoods. Then also get an outside (MLS) agent who will help you exlore kid-friendly housing options outside TV.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Family neighborhoods in The Villages are Bison Valley, Spring Arbor and Oak Forest. There are also many options for houses nearby but outside TV.

You would definitely want your children to go to the Charter Schools (pre-K though High School); they are far superior to any other schools in the area and compare with the best in the state. HOWEVER, to qualify for the Charter Schools one parent MUST work for The Villages, a Villages-associated business or an employer who rents/leases space in The Villages. This is very strict. If you want to start your own office you would need to lease space from TV.

Get a TV sales agent who will explain all of this to you, and show you homes in the family neighborhoods. Then also get an outside (MLS) agent who will help you exlore kid-friendly housing options outside TV.
This is a bit of exaggeration. Depending on the age of your children, your family educational goals and your children's needs there are many exceptional schools in the area. If your children are at the age to be considering college and they will attend here in Florida, unless they are athletes, you want a school with an IB or ACE program. Florida and Florida State won't look at you without it. My kid graduated from TVCHS so if you want any inside information, feel free to private message me.
Before the ridiculous flames start about how I'm disparaging "The School", save it. Nothing bad about "The School", just a person should know the true options available.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,553 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post

I totally agree.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
This is a bit of exaggeration. Depending on the age of your children, your family educational goals and your children's needs there are many exceptional schools in the area. If your children are at the age to be considering college and they will attend here in Florida, unless they are athletes, you want a school with an IB or ACE program. Florida and Florida State won't look at you without it. My kid graduated from TVCHS so if you want any inside information, feel free to private message me.
Before the ridiculous flames start about how I'm disparaging "The School", save it. Nothing bad about "The School", just a person should know the true options available.
Well said, jbdfan
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Keep in mind also that in just Marion County alone, there are IB, AICE Cambridge, AAIT and other Magnate programs all the way down in the elementary schools. High schools have performing arts schools as well as EMIT and propulsion labs. These are all less than 40 miles from TV. Many true gated country club communities and some unbelievable properties right in the middle of horse country. Lake and Marion Counties also have private Christian/Catholic schools to chose from. Please, be very studious on your choices.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold member

Another thing to keep in mind is if you move to Lake, Marion or Sumter County neither you, your wife, or your children can use any of the facilities here in the villages. Family members living in the tri-county area (meaning those 3 counties) can not get passes. You can use the Championship golf courses/country clubs and restaurant, go to the movies at the higher prices and shop at all the retail stores and go to the town squares for the nightly entertainment.

You will not be able to use the executive courses, pools or any of the other facilities encluding tennis courts, basketball courses etc. Just want to make you aware of these things before you would make the move.

Last edited by obxgal; 02-11-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM

I was just looking at TV Regional Hospital and noticed that it is owned/managed by Central Florida Health Alliance. Do employees of the hospital also qualify as being employees?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is if you move to Lake, Marion or Sumter County neither you, your wife, or your children can use any of the facilities here in the villages. Family members living in the tri-county area (meaning those 3 counties) can not get passes. You can use the Championship golf courses/country clubs and restaurant, go to the movies at the higher prices and shop at all the retail stores and go to the town squares for the nightly entertainment.

You will not be able to use the executive courses, pools or any of the other facilities encluding tennis courts, basketball courses etc. Just want to make you aware of these things before you would make the move.
Sorry, but this is misinformation. First off, even if you live in the family sections, you don't have access to the amenities. Now, since you wife's grandparents and your in-laws live in TVs, you can obtain an "in area" guest pass. This will allow you to visit any place your parents can go. If they are priority members, you will even be a priority guest!. We had these passes for five years and had access to everything. The only time we really had to have our parents with us was the priority pools and executive golf courses. I know they are supposed to be more picky, but they didn't care much off season.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim73vike1 View Post
I was just looking at TV Regional Hospital and noticed that it is owned/managed by Central Florida Health Alliance. Do employees of the hospital also qualify as being employees?
Yes. Some of the spin offs, Citizens and such are still considered Villages employees.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,553 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
Sorry, but this is misinformation. First off, even if you live in the family sections, you don't have access to the amenities. Now, since you wife's grandparents and your in-laws live in TVs, you can obtain an "in area" guest pass. This will allow you to visit any place your parents can go. If they are priority members, you will even be a priority guest!. We had these passes for five years and had access to everything. The only time we really had to have our parents with us was the priority pools and executive golf courses. I know they are supposed to be more picky, but they didn't care much off season.
???????

Bogie Shooter...you usually come up with links to this and that. Which is correct?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have heard differently.

Bogie Shooter...you usually come up with links to this and that.
I just said I lived with it for five years! Yea, I made it up......geesh.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.