Lanai Shades

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 04:04 PM
Default Lanai Shades

We are closing on a new house in The Villages next month that has a lanai that is in full sun in the afternoon/evening. I am looking at installing a couple of exterior weather rated shades that would be about 6 1/2’ to 7’ wide each. I have been driving around a number of the areas in The Villages and noticed some have installed the shades on the outside of the lanai and some installed them on the inside.

Questions for those has have installed wide exterior weather rated shades:

- Who did you purchase them from?
- Did they install them?
- Are there different shade fabric options that allows better shading and air flow?
- Manual versus electric operation?
- Pros and cons of inside versus outside of lanai shade installation?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

I put in electric shades my Lanai. I used Window Reflections in Wildwood. They did a great job. The are Hunter-Douglas dealers and have wide selection to choose from. I can control the shades from a remote control or from my phone.

Window Reflections | Blinds, Shades, Shutters, Drapery | Wildwood, FL
Old 10-22-2021, 06:02 PM

Shade bros are the best for ideas and price
Old 10-23-2021, 11:17 AM

We had external shades put on our lanai to block out the morning sun. I wouldn't be without them now. A few notes
1) There are different levels of shading available (usually called privacy)
2) Frogs occasionally climb into the unrolled part of the shade and get squished when we roll up the shades. Need to use a yard stick to knock the remains off and then clean with soap and water.
3) While our shades are motorized and work well, in a recent visit from Shade Brothers about another project we learned that the motorized version adds about 6 weeks to the installation and about $350 extra per shade.
4) Installation of manually operated shades are being quoted at 10 to 15 weeks by Shade Brothers.
5)There is a coupon in an advertising flyer from Mypapernet.com which gives 20 % off Shade Brothers. Perhaps you can get the coupon via their website?? Or just mention it?? Expires 11/15 so may not work for you.

Good luck and enjoy your new home.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)

Last edited by dtennent; 10-23-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,471 Posts

wait a year as you will most likely end up enclosing your lanai with glass when you find out how little room you have in your new house. Then you can have nice inside shades installed that won't be filthy from all the construction around you and as mentioned above the frogs and anoles that get crushed in them.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,343 Times in 2,311 Posts

If you do not mind manual shades, Lowe's and home depot have shades that can be cut to size.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

RK Sunshades did ours. Love this company! We are repeat customers for them. 352-430-4430
Old 10-24-2021, 05:54 AM

We have west facing as well. Shade Brothers installed motorized shades. Yes variety of shade material to chose from. Very pleased with the work and the shades.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:37 AM
Default Lanai Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post
We are closing on a new house in The Villages next month that has a lanai that is in full sun in the afternoon/evening. I am looking at installing a couple of exterior weather rated shades that would be about 6 1/2’ to 7’ wide each. I have been driving around a number of the areas in The Villages and noticed some have installed the shades on the outside of the lanai and some installed them on the inside.

- Did they install them?
- Are there different shade fabric options that allows better shading and air flow?

We used Barlows Tri-County Screens, Kevin @ 352-266-0404. This company has done many large (18') & small motorized screens in our neighborhood. They sell, install, warranty & offer cleaning services. You will need an outlet installed, if they are motorized. There are 2 different levels of protection - block 80% or 95%. There are several different colors of fabrics. We had them installed on outside of Lanai roof so we don't see the housing. We also used the 80% fabric because our Lanai faces East. This protection still offers privacy protection. Very Happy with company and would use them again. Screens are made locally in Homosassa, FL.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:47 AM

We also have a west facing lanai and instead of shades we went with a Sunsetter awning. We don’t get that closed in feeling some shades will give you and also provides a shaded area that extends your useful space at that time of day. Ours is motorized with a remote control.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If you do not mind manual shades, Lowe's and home depot have shades that can be cut to size.
If you are thinking about manual, also check out Amazon for prices. Lots of options there both size/color and you can check out feedback. We got two from there 8ft each which allows us to lift the one as the sun sets enough that first section is no longer required. Also, a single shade that long might be difficult to rollup.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Call Rick at RK Sunshades - 352-430-4430
He offers either manual or motorized screens. Many different colors, to match your home's colors. Several levels of screening / sun attenuation. RK does all the installation, including warranty work if needed. Best of all, they are RELIABLE, showing up when they say they will and accepting payment after the work is done.

When Rick shows up for an estimate he brings along a demo model and answers every one of the questions you posed. He's patient, has full explanations for all of those questions, and is willing to simply leave an estimate and check back later. We had so much confidence in him, we ordered immediately. Glad we did ... and repeated later for garage screens. Superb products.

The only caution is to be prepared for a 7-8 week lead time on materials; each screen is made to order to precise size and that takes some time.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:48 AM

Just received shades for west facing lanai from. Shade Brothers. They come to your house - you pick the UV rating - color and it’s wonderful . It’s like a garage door shade placed on the outside and has a remote to lift or put it down . Really works well for the hot sun coming into our villa!!!
Old 10-24-2021, 07:49 AM
Default Lanai Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post

- Did they install them?

Definitely go electric outside. We did and have never regretted. Ours are several years old, but I totally expect that there is now an app for them, which would allow you to (for instance) raise and lower them according to sunrise and sunset. Or if you're not home, lower them when it's raining. Get as dark as you can - you'll still be able to see out but darker will of course block more sun.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Lonnie Ashe and son of CoolBreeze Screens did our large outside motorized screens (3) on our west facing lanai. Very pleased. They were a few $ higher than Shade Brothers but I thought their product design differences were worth it and liked the fact that father & son installed themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
shades, lanai, installed, rated, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.