Yet another roundabout thread

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuck827 View Post
For those who have insisted in past threads that the inside lane can never take the 1st exit (take a right), I give you the 2 new roundabouts on Buena Vista South of 44.
This is not a typical roundabout. You can only go left or right in the example you provided. In a typical roundabout the right hand lane is not a right turn only.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
For those who have insisted in past threads that the inside lane can never take the 1st exit (take a right), I give you the 2 new roundabouts on Buena Vista South of 44.
That’s because there is nowhere else to go on those roundabouts yet.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Insane!!

So I am traveling straight thru and approach the roundabout. The vehicle in the inside lane decides to take the first exit (might even signal his intent). I now need to be wary of that vehicle. Understand but would love to know why they changed to this signage.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Those two roundabouts are right turn or U-turn only. Once roads get connected allowing driving straight through or exiting to the left you will see those signs replaced.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,522 Times in 2,576 Posts

A two lane into a two lane, the only exit apart from a U-turn, what is so complicated or the problem?
This is a wind up posting.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
So I am traveling straight thru and approach the roundabout. The vehicle in the inside lane decides to take the first exit (might even signal his intent). I now need to be wary of that vehicle. Understand but would love to know why they changed to this signage.
At the RAB in the original post there is no straight thru. It appears to be a one-lane RAB with the left lane entering the RAB and the right line being a right turn only.

With only a single lane in this RAB there is no inside lane. The ONLY lane of this RAB is allowed to exit to the right or continue around.

In "normal" two-lane RABs, vehicles entering from the left lane/inside lane are not allowed to take the first exit. It would be no different from making a right turn from the left lane of a four-lane highway. If they attempt this then they will possibly cause an accident.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-13-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
With this particular roundabout, you are correct. However, the only exits are at 3 (making a right turn) and 6 (making a u-turn). A regular roundabout has exits at 3, 6, 9, and 12.

The IMPORTANT thing is to follow the traffic signs posted at each roundabout.
With high traffic and unfamiliar roads and the signs posted so close to the roundabout, there is no leeway to choose the lane you need in time (nor should you change lanes while in a busy roundabout). Why aren't the signs also placed further back to help unfamiliar drivers. Not all roundabouts are the same. Arrows in each lane would be beneficial also.

Last edited by TVTVTV; 11-13-2023 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Not sure what you are looking at but, the outside lane definitely enters the roundabout, it is just forced to exit to the right (1st exit). Also, there is no straight in either of the roundabouts, it is either a right turn from the inside lane or a U turn.
Personally, I like that system better than what happens (confusion) in the central and northern Villages. I have often maintained that the road should merge into ONE lane BEFORE entering the ONELANE roundabout. Some people say that that would slow things to a crawl. I say that as long as there is vehicle movement (not stopping) then the roundabout is BETTER than a RED light. And we would have less accidents with my proposal. AND since we are most all retired we should be able to mentally handle a slow and safe roundabout EXPERIENCE. People know HOW to MERGE, but a 2-lane roundabout is FOREIGN AND AWKWARD to new arrivals.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:59 AM

Nice example OP - thanks!

There are several special roundabouts throughout TV - gotta look at the signs for each.

44A Eastbound at Buena Vista is another - left lane must turn left - only right lane can go straight.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:47 AM

jimjamuser…

There’s a roundabout in Jacksonville that is one lane like you described. It backs up for miles. People get so frustrated waiting 20-30 minutes just to reach the roundabout that they start taking way too many chances pulling into the circle so close to the other cars that accidents still happen. This, being your solution isn’t as great as you think it is and accidents still happen.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:51 AM
Default Apples to Oranges

Quote:
It seems like this is an apples to oranges debate. This is not a typical roundabout. If you obey the traffic signs and enter when there is no traffic coming, you should be good.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:22 AM

Thats because there is no going straight. You go to the right with both lanes, the lane on the right can only go right. The lane on the left or inside lane cane go right or left. Try going left from the right and your in for trouble.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Personally, I like that system better than what happens (confusion) in the central and northern Villages. I have often maintained that the road should merge into ONE lane BEFORE entering the ONELANE roundabout. Some people say that that would slow things to a crawl. I say that as long as there is vehicle movement (not stopping) then the roundabout is BETTER than a RED light. And we would have less accidents with my proposal. AND since we are most all retired we should be able to mentally handle a slow and safe roundabout EXPERIENCE. People know HOW to MERGE, but a 2-lane roundabout is FOREIGN AND AWKWARD to new arrivals.

Maybe you’re the one that confused?
Old 11-13-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
There are no other exits!!!
Old 11-13-2023, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clossonjunk View Post
jimjamuser…

There’s a roundabout in Jacksonville that is one lane like you described. It backs up for miles. People get so frustrated waiting 20-30 minutes just to reach the roundabout that they start taking way too many chances pulling into the circle so close to the other cars that accidents still happen. This, being your solution isn’t as great as you think it is and accidents still happen.
I believe it because Jacksonville is a pretty wacky overcrowded city. Even so, I would SUGGEST that if ANY kind of roundabout backs up that MUCH then it is time to put in a RED light. I think of roundabouts as being BEST suited to small towns without much traffic. They become LESS useful here in the high population times like Dec through Feb.
Closed Thread

Tags
exit, give, roundabouts, buena, vista

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.