Your modem a hotspot

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I just did it. Here is the latest version out:

ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White

I bought mine from Amazon for $83. Will pay for itself in less than a year. And it is faster than the Comcast modem I took out.

Easy install. Need to have Comcast do a ping/test/turn on...over the phone. No problem. I should have done it years ago!!!

When returning the Comcast box just take it to the UPS store and they will take care of it for no charge. (must be a UPS store not a box and ship type place)
I admit my ignorance but assumed the comcast modem is used in conjunction with my TV,Internet and phone? In the past any problem with the aforementioned the customer service people tried troubleshooting through cables. The light indicators warn of such problems. so if i purchase my own modem what affect does it have on TV and telephone and troubleshooting? I hate the rental charges also
Old 02-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I admit my ignorance but assumed the comcast modem is used in conjunction with my TV,Internet and phone? In the past any problem with the aforementioned the customer service people tried troubleshooting through cables. The light indicators warn of such problems. so if i purchase my own modem what affect does it have on TV and telephone and troubleshooting? I hate the rental charges also
Rubicon, you have to get a telephony modem that handles your internet and telephone. As said above, google Comcst approved modems and look for those that support telephone and internet. The modem has nothing to do with your TV. It shouldn't affect troubleshooting problems, although I suspect the X-1 platform uses data over cable to handle multiply TVs.

One caution. When my Mom thought about getting her own cable modem, the tech warned her that if she had a service problem that turned out to be the modem, she would be charged a high hourly rate for the tech visit. He also intimated that owned modems get blamed even if they are not the main culprit in the problem.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
No effect on the television side of Comcast...we have it and it was not involved or affected.
The modem that I recommended above is a basic modem only. If you have Comcast phone there is a similar model that has the phone ports on it.

I have Ooma so I did not need the modem with the phone ports as I run Ooma to my router.

The telephone customer service people are quite helpful on this subject when one tells them you are going to purchase your own modem.

After the change over one does have to monitor the billing. I was told my rental would end with the activation of my new modem. When I got the first bill afterwards, the rental was still there and had to have them delete it again. We'll see what happens next month.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

I have tried several times to "manage Xfinity WiFI, but get the message that "something unusual happened-try again later". Anyone else get that message?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have tried several times to "manage Xfinity WiFI, but get the message that "something unusual happened-try again later". Anyone else get that message?
yes I got this message and called-- eventually I got help
Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Comcast has turned the modem in your home into a mobile hotspot for their other customers use. Now it is a separate line so they can't see what you are doing but they are using your bandwidth and electricity. I have noticed that my internet access in the rental I am at slows way down at certain times of the day. Called Comcast and the guy said others on the public side of the modem were using it . Mystery solved other people are logging in and gobbling up the bandwidth.
HOW TO SOLVE
You can log into your account at Comcast Then click Users & Preferences-->Service Address, which will have your address. Underneath your address click Manage Xfinity WiFi, and then click Disable Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot. After that, click Save. Now if you see xfinitywifi show up again on your available connections it means that Comcast sent out an update and it turned it back on. Go to Comcast login and turn it off again. Sorry to say I can't do that because I don't have access as I am in a rental but maybe the info will help others.

I don't mind being neighborly but sharing my connections so I can't get on is not acceptable.
so I followed the instruction and found that Xfinity WiFi showed the feature was disabled
Old 02-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Gold member

So if I understand what you al are saying is that the Comsast modem/router combo unit also puts out an open hotspot off of your unit??? That is crazy. Who would want to do that!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
So if I understand what you al are saying is that the Comsast modem/router combo unit also puts out an open hotspot off of your unit??? That is crazy. Who would want to do that!!!
Comcast wants you to do that.
Buy a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and save yourself money and grief.

Skip
Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Update

I got my landlord to go into their Comcast account online and turn the hotspot off and now my connection is fine no freezing.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
It's NOT an open hotspot. You have to be a paying Comcast customer and use your Comcast login to gain access.

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesAV.com View Post
It's NOT an open hotspot. You have to be a paying Comcast customer and use your Comcast login to gain access.
It is open to anyone down here who has Comcast at home and in some areas they sell just hotspot access. Check the LA times article which is were I got the info on how to turn it off. Comcast said when I called that the reason I was freezing is that somebody on the hotspot was probably downloading a movie and their were a couple other people on as well and the modem couldn't handle it.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

Got my new modem and installed it. The reason it takes forever to get their modem lease off your bill is the returned modem must hit their warehouse before the lease fee is dropped. Still must monitor the bill.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.