You're supposed to ring your bell.....

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2022, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,319 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Good point. I live north of 466A, and while I have walked the Hogseye path, I wasn't thinking in terms of "pedestrian" trails which allow bicycles, and, I guess, e-bikes. My preference, if the paths allow bicycles and e-bikes, would be to walk on the left, again, so I can see what's coming. But I can understand the confusion.
I am also not averse to stepping off and out of the way for a second to let everyone and anyone by me, should things get congested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Didn't we hope that our aging parents gave up driving when their senses did not allow them to safely be on the road, i.e. creating danger to self/others? We hoped that they would make this decision on their own.

Maybe the person walking on a path with faster moving vehicles, who can not hear (for whatever reason), poses a similar danger?????

If I had a hearing impairment that did not allow me to hear a warning from a bicycle out of my vision range, I would not put myself in that dangerous situation. Would you?? Only common sense....

If I had a hearing impairment I would walk facing traffic so could see it coming.

DON"T YELL GET A BELL
Old 05-31-2022, 07:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl122 View Post
I guess we need to remember that south of 44 there are pedestrian paths that don’t allow golf carts - so some people may say to walk on the right - ok, no cart traffic to deal with. However, north of 44, we have “cart paths” which allow golf carts, walkers, bikers etc. and indeed you should walk FACING the traffic - on the left. As far as the first poster with reference to people hard of hearing not using the paths - I’m not hard of hearing yet, thank goodness - but I’m now speechless.
Good point, I live South of 44, so my advice is for that area. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Yo, that’s not a cart path
Exactly what I said. The multi modals have motorized cart traffic so it is correct/safer to walk on the left so you can see the oncoming cart traffic. But on the paths where carts are not allowed then walking on the right is the correct protocol. Those paths are narrower than the multi modals and less room for passing particularly if you have oncoming bicycles from opposite directions and walkers as well. The main thing is that everyone does what they can to ensure the safety of themselves and all others on the path and not stick by some “I had the right of way” mentality that will not prove very useful once someone is seriously injured.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Yes, I rang my bell (or yelled "On your left"), as I approached you on my bike from behind.

Is your hearing adequate? Did you forget to wear your hearing aid? Were you talking on your phone? Were you wearing headphones?

Give me a freakin break, and don''t yell at me. Be responsible and assure that your hearing is adequate. If not, stay off the path!
This sort of post is endless. You are control of what you do- not what you think others should do. There are places it is safe to ride fast and other places where it is not.
Approaching a slower bike rider is not such a place and that reported response is PROOF of that.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasdon View Post
I’m new to golf carts. Friday, I came upon a walker (living, not dead) coming towards me in my lane, and golf carts also passing on my left, so no where to go, so I just stopped until the walker passed me. Golf cart behind me honks. What should I have done?
Truly simple reply. You are driving YOUR golf cart. Golf cart behind honks, Ignore it.
We see them all the time. There are people that are an accident just looking for a place to happen.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

Depending on which bike that I am on, I have one, three, or four signals that I use.

With a clear DING DONG, I get 60% reaction

Followed by BRIIING BRIING, I get 85% reaction

A teenie ding, ding by itself doesn't add anything

"On your left" might bring it to 90%

For those who've kept track I have one left. I have never run across a pedestrian who is doing something so stupid, something that I can't avoid, that I need it. My conclusion is ten percent will not hear you using conventional signalling methods.

The fourth is an automotive horn, Loud Bicycle | Car horn for bikes

But I run across golf cart drivers all the time that do something so stupid that it is necessary to talk car to them. It has saved me more than once, for this reason it is necessary for me. Now I average 4 - 5,000 miles annually, so your needs and bell budget are different.

I am certain that I have done more analysis of bells, the tone of bells, the reaction of pedestrians to signals than most posters here and I am convinced there is no way to get much more than 90 percent acknowledgement of a bikes presence. But I do get quite a few thanks for warning people..

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-31-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-2022, 11:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Depending on which bike that I am on, I have one, three, or four signals that I use.

With a clear DING DONG, I get 60% reaction

Followed by BRIIING BRIING, I get 85% reaction

A teenie ding, ding by itself doesn't add anything

"On your left" might bring it to 90%

For those who've kept track I have one left. I have never run across a pedestrian who is doing something so stupid, something that I can't avoid, that I need it. My conclusion is ten percent will not hear you using conventional signalling methods.

The fourth is an automotive horn, Loud Bicycle | Car horn for bikes

But I run across golf cart drivers all the time that do something so stupid that it is necessary to talk car to them. It has saved me more than once, for this reason it is necessary for me. Now I average 4 - 5,000 miles annually, so your needs and bell budget are different.

I am certain that I have done more analysis of bells, the tone of bells, the reaction of pedestrians to signals than most posters here and I am convinced there is no way to get much more than 90 percent acknowledgement of a bikes presence. But I do get quite a few thanks for warning people..
Agreed, and I think your prioritization is very good.

Sadly I think a lot of people would go for the "drive up to within 3 feet and use an air horn" approach.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,731 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldragbagger View Post
Exactly what I said. The multi modals have motorized cart traffic so it is correct/safer to walk on the left so you can see the oncoming cart traffic. But on the paths where carts are not allowed then walking on the right is the correct protocol. Those paths are narrower than the multi modals and less room for passing particularly if you have oncoming bicycles from opposite directions and walkers as well. The main thing is that everyone does what they can to ensure the safety of themselves and all others on the path and not stick by some “I had the right of way” mentality that will not prove very useful once someone is seriously injured.
Bicycles at times go as fast as golf carts go, at times, and e-bikes ARE motorized vehicles. I would walk on the left on any path where bikes and e-bikes are allowed.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:58 AM
Default Can the Villages HOA help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
WOW! Lots of opinions. Yes, I have one too. Problem is that it is all opinion based on what one believes is safest, based on their version of "common sense". To the best of my very limited knowledge on this subject, there is no hard, fast rule of law. Basically, No rules other than "watch out for the rolling assassins" and protect yourselves.
Be afraid! VERY AFRAID! It's a jungle out there!
😖😱😧
Yes, opinions on this vary. I can't seem to find any "official" guidance. Maybe the Villages HOA group could tackle this and find or produce a guideline for the MMPs and walking/bike paths. If an HOA rep is reading this how about bringing it up at a meeting?
After witnessing some close calls I have, on a rare occasion, suggested to people that they should walk facing the golf carts. A couple of them argued that I am wrong and got a little huffy so I discontinued offering safety advice. It befuddles me that someone can think that walking with your back to golf carts is the safer option.
As a lad I was taught that when there are no sidewalks pedestrians should walk facing the traffic. As a senior I can't remember who taught me that.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
Yes, opinions on this vary. I can't seem to find any "official" guidance. Maybe the Villages HOA group could tackle this and find or produce a guideline for the MMPs and walking/bike paths. If an HOA rep is reading this how about bringing it up at a meeting?
After witnessing some close calls I have, on a rare occasion, suggested to people that they should walk facing the golf carts. A couple of them argued that I am wrong and got a little huffy so I discontinued offering safety advice. It befuddles me that someone can think that walking with your back to golf carts is the safer option.
As a lad I was taught that when there are no sidewalks pedestrians should walk facing the traffic. As a senior I can't remember who taught me that.
I'd love to hear anyone's reasoning why it's better to walk on the right. Not "I was told this".
I want to see what's coming, and make eye contact with the approaching bike, e-bike, or cart. I can tell if I've been noticed, or if the driver is distracted, or just plain doesn't care how close he/she comes to me. If I'm on the right, I have to trust the cart not to hit me, and I may not be able to hear the bike.

So, please, if you think I should be walking with the motorized traffic, or with the bike traffic, please explain how that makes me safer than against the traffic.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,705 Times in 3,183 Posts

i have my Youtube playlist wired right into my hearing aides. I wear a helmet so outside noise is muted. I'm typically singing along to the music. So if you're ringing your bell, I probably don't hear it.

The good news: I regularly check to each side and behind me to see if I'm going too slow or too fast for the rest of traffic and if so, I adjust accordingly.

The bad news: My cart can only go 20.5mph in the first place, which is the max speed for golf carts. So if you're trying to pass me, prepare to wait until i'm comfortable with slowing down for you. I'm going as fast as I'm legally allowed to go. I'd love to go faster but thi is as good as my club car will go.

ifyou're trying to pass me in your golfcart and I'm already going the legal max limit well you have some choicesl You could cross the road just so you can pass me. You couled bide your time behind me until we get to the interestions y0u wnt to drie=e, and then vrom vroomvrrrommm there ya go speededeomon. and I'll be te one laughing my butt off when yuou cant stop fast entough to avoid rear-ending a cop car

nope I'm not "that driver." but you are; and it entertains me to no end.

a lot of these speed demons don't wear seat belts either. I hope their insurance companies stick ittothem bidtime if theyre caugth being in an accident with no insurance.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:21 AM

This (link below) is a fairly common version of trail etiquette rules that you will find at almost any public trail. This would not apply to paths that have motorized vehicles on them such as multi modal paths. They may not be “laws” or even rules that apply to our paths here in TV as they are not stated or posted anywhere, but they do work the best in terms of safety when there is an orderly flow to traffic, everyone is doing the same thing, and everyone knows what to expect from others on the path. That being said, there is no reason to expect that people here would know them if they have never been public trail users since they aren’t posted anywhere here. The bottom line is that we are all, as individuals, responsible for our own safety and that of everyone we encounter on the trail. On pedestrian paths we cyclists are the “magilla gorilla” in any passing situation with a walker so the burden lies primarily with us. The tone of the original post suggests the OP doesn’t think the walker should have been on the trail because he didn’t hear well. That is quite a selfish position to take in light of this being a 55+ community. Probably all of us came here for the same reason, to be active and to live out and enjoy our retirement years in the best way possible. It is quite normal to expect people in our age group to have hearing and vision issues, slower reflexes, etc. I don’t remember being told that only those in perfect health were entitled to use the amenities. I have encountered people out enjoying the trail on their mobility scooters and in their wheelchairs. My first thought is always that it is so nice to see them out enjoying their beautiful environment. GOOD FOR THEM!!!
If riding fast without interruption is a primary goal maybe riding in the street and taking your chances with those same folks driving cars might be a good option for some. Or go take a spin class. As for me, I love those paths and will do whatever it takes to use them safely with anyone else I encounter even if it means I have to get off my bike and walk around someone.
The Villages Florida

TheWashCycle: Don’t Be Exclusive: Leave Some Pavement For Non-Motored Bikes

Last edited by Oldragbagger; 06-02-2022 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am confused, I always walk on the LEFT facing traffic, so I can see what is going on. Why would golf cart paths be any different?
We do the same, walk facing traffic and move further to the left if we can to allow the bike rider by. Are we wrong doing this?

Last edited by rrtjp; 06-02-2022 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtjp View Post
We do the same, walk facing traffic and move further to the left if we can to allow the bike rider by. Are we wrong doing this?
No you are not wrong. Until someone posts some reasons why it's better to walk on the right side of a path with motorized vehicles or bicycles, and you think those reasons make more sense than being able to see what's coming at you, keep doing what you're doing.
So far the only reason I've seen is "someone told us that's what we're supposed to do".
Old 06-02-2022, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
No you are not wrong. Until someone posts some reasons why it's better to walk on the right side of a path with motorized vehicles or bicycles, and you think those reasons make more sense than being able to see what's coming at you, keep doing what you're doing.
So far the only reason I've seen is "someone told us that's what we're supposed to do".
The reason it is better to walk on the right side of a walking/biking trail (NOT MMP) is predictability. It is always safer if others can predict what you are about to do.

Like it or not, in the US we walk to the right and pass to to the left. We do this in shopping malls, we do this in Disney, and we do this on sidewalks. The walking/biking trails are essentially sidewalks with a fancy name.

Walking to the right on walking/biking trails is predictable. Bicyclists "know" that you will be staying to the right and they need to move left to pass - exactly what they do every other place they ride. If you choose to walk on the left then the cyclists has to guess whether that was intentional or whether you are about to dart to the right where you should have been in the first place. You become unpredictable which causes problems.

The same logic applies to walking on the left when motor vehicles (cars, golf carts, motorcycles) are involved. On roads and on the MMPs the drivers of those vehicles anticipate that you will be walking on the left and bicycling on the right. To do anything else causes the vehicle drivers to wonder what you are about to do and makes things more dangerous.

When I am in my car and come up on someone walking on the right side of the road it concerns me because they obviously are not paying attention and I don't know what they are about to do.

When I am in my car and I come up on someone riding towards me on their left side of the road it concerns me because they obviously aren't following the common rules and I don't know what they are about to do.

When I am biking and come up on someone walking towards me on their left side of the path (sidewalk, not MMP) it concerns me because I don't know what they are about to do.

Being predictable is safe. Doing things your own way because the rules don't matter or you know better than the rules makes things less safe.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 06-02-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, adequate, bell, freakin, yell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.