Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Guess we have a new thing to argue about
No we don’t!!!
Lol
Old 04-06-2021, 07:56 AM

if you really think drivers are ever going to drive with respect to other drivers, you are smoking the drapes. it's not going to happen.
for every fool you encounter, there is one waiting just ahead for you. left lane drivers, just pass them on the right, and flip the bird if you want to. bad roundabout drivers, that's one that is never going to end. merging drivers at construction sites, good luck. conforming people to your zipper nonsense. ha ha. bad parking at stores, that's never going to end. it's like different views on politics, race and nationalities, it is never going to end.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:58 AM

For all the 'non-zippers', how do you deal with the situation were the left lane extends back to and beyond the previous round-about and there is traffic coming in from the right?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:02 AM

Sounds like every day on every freeway in L.A.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 AM

I didn't realize that there were so many Amish here...
Old 04-06-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdNJ View Post
Posted elsewhere as well. Maybe enough people will read this to make a difference.

The ZIPPER Law. Cars traveling north on Buena Vista should learn how to merge due to the right lane closure. Even the merge sign demonstrates where the merge takes place. The half-mile backup of traffic in the left lane CAN be avoided, and I find myself the only driver doing so- slowly.

Instead of having the front end of your car partway into the left lane a mile before you need to, while hoping that some courteous driver will let you “cut in line” and being cursed at or given the finger when trying, there’s actually a system in place:

Merge like a zipper- use BOTH lanes, PLEASE.
One car merges from the blocked lane, then a car from the open lane can pass, then the next car should let one car over from the blocked lane, and so on. This pattern continues until all cars are through the merge zone, representing a zipper.

A zipper merge can keep traffic flowing in BOTH lanes by bringing some organization to the merging process. The zipper merge keeps traffic moving more smoothly, compared to a less structured approach. It sure beats people moving up, purposely not letting you in, and waiting in a long left lane way before the actual merge. The sign shows both lanes used before the closure.
A problem occurs when the people in the open lane do not allow people in the closed lane to merge.

A better solution is to simply avoid that area of Buena Vista if at all possible.

Where on Buena Vista is this?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:33 AM

"Merge properly?" The zipper theory is the correct one. But with canceled carry being the rule down here, I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Agree with the OP. When everyone drives as far as possible in their lane before merging there is much less of a back up. Read that awhile ago on a Department of Transportation post. As far as merging using the zipper method, I find that most drivers are courteous enough to do this without being reminded.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
A problem occurs when the people in the open lane do not allow people in the closed lane to merge.

A better solution is to simply avoid that area of Buena Vista if at all possible.

Where on Buena Vista is this?
The intersection of buena vista and 466A.
Lol... it might even be gone by now! Check it out and LMK if there are any drivers in the right lane
Old 04-06-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Retired no schedule wait till 5 pm situation avoided
Old 04-06-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
Both lanes are open until you reach the obstruction. The other day some ****** pulled half way into the other lane to prevent traffic from flowing in that lane 1/2+ mile before the lane closed. This wanabe cop needs to be arrested for hindering the flow of traffic. And you wonder where road rage comes from?
Block the Lane, or you will have The privilege running up a 1/2 + mile to jump the line !! BRAVO BLOCK THE LANE..
Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale2 View Post
Rolling roadblocks always work, but illegal.
Them big semis do that all the time on the interstates.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:05 AM

Any queue study ever done proves the zipper merge is the most efficient process for merging one lane into another. The problem is most people have never heard of it and can’t possibly imagine that there is a better way. If nothing else, maybe a few closed minded people are now more educated and the use of the zipper merge method will increase. Either way, as the younger generation arrives so will more progressive thought.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdNJ View Post
The intersection of buena vista and 466A.
Lol... it might even be gone by now! Check it out and LMK if there are any drivers in the right lane
Gone? All that intelligent information to retain till next “Merge Ahead “
Old 04-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
USE THE ZIPPER!!! IF every driver used this method NO-ONE would get flipped off. Why would anyone want to merge a mile BEFORE the merge occurs???? When I drive right up to the merge point I am not trying to beat anyone or cut in line, I am merging. One logical suggestion however would be to reduce the speed limit at the point where the merge warning is given. Unfortunately not many seem to do that

If, only everyone was as perfect as I think I am. Then, there is reality.
Closed Thread

Tags
merge, lane, zipper, car, lanes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.