56 years newbie to TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2021, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We bought when we were 55 and I was forced to retire last year at 56. My wife is still working so we don’t get down as much as we would want. For now we take what we can get, about 4 weeks a year. Someday we will be there for 6 months.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

There are many of us young ones lol here! Check out south of sixty group, born in the 60's and more!
Old 03-21-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flillini View Post
I am moving and renting for six months. Been there couple times. Thinking strongly about buying between Sumter and Brownwood. Love golf, softball and all sports talk (especially St. Louis Cards and my Fighting Illini!). Right now limited in my activities with couple bad knees. Any suggestions on areas to live. I have been very impressed driving around and seeing people sitting out on their driveways just talking and enjoying the company. Obviously I'm not the average age in the villages, and I enjoy talking to about anyone, but don't want to feel out of place. I have a college son that for now will stay with me during breaks, or until he finds better options than dad. I do enjoy the more established areas with mature trees and scenic nature. Thank you all in advance!!
If I had to do it over again I would live on a Cul de Sac. Avoid high traffic, main roads. I would NOT want to be on a golf course. Avoid lakes unless you are a rowing or kyack enthusiast. Lakes and golf courses drive up the price of homes and they are not worth it to the average person. Try for a gently sloping lot with a mostly flat driveway. if you cut your own grass, do not get the larger corner lots, they cost more and you will NOT use the extra area. Spend your time on outside activities, not tricking up your house.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Default Thank you!

I appreciate all the responses! I am looking forward to moving down in May, getting to know the area, and hopefully make some new friends along the way!
Old 03-21-2021, 04:44 PM

Mira mesa or la zamora
Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flillini View Post
I am moving and renting for six months. Been there couple times. Thinking strongly about buying between Sumter and Brownwood. Love golf, softball and all sports talk (especially St. Louis Cards and my Fighting Illini!). Right now limited in my activities with couple bad knees. Any suggestions on areas to live. I have been very impressed driving around and seeing people sitting out on their driveways just talking and enjoying the company. Obviously I'm not the average age in the villages, and I enjoy talking to about anyone, but don't want to feel out of place. I have a college son that for now will stay with me during breaks, or until he finds better options than dad. I do enjoy the more established areas with mature trees and scenic nature. Thank you all in advance!!
We'll be looking at TV very soon. I've done a fair amount of research and it's a top consideration for us. We're about your age with 2 college age kids. There are times when I'll be talking to someone who mentions their 30 something year old kids and their grandchildren. I'll think to myself "Oh, they must be about 10 years older than us", but then I'll find out that they graduated HS the same year that I did, lol.

56 is an age that can look a lot of different ways. While I might still have a teenager at home, someone else might have a 35 year old adult child helping them out with the logistics of their move. Some of us might dye our hair while others let the gray come out.

I think 50's/60's is a pretty normal age to be looking to move to TV. I've heard anecdotally that the average age to move into TV is 60 for women, 62 for men But some move in a little earlier, some move in later. I'll be curious to see Brownwood - I think my husband would like World of Beer. I'm also curious to see Sumter Landing. I can't "welcome" you to TV because we're not even there, yet, ourselves. But my guess is you will find plenty to do and find plenty of friendly people there.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:11 PM

We are in our early 60s. We’ve been renting in different areas of the Villages but decided buy a house close to Lake Sumter. We wanted to be near a golf driving range (Palmer), restaurants, etc. The mature landscaping is a huge plus too. I only wish there were a gym close by and perhaps a few dedicated bicycle paths.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:10 PM

The “newer” areas are not young people. You people from the “old” neighborhoods need to drive around here. I don’t know where you get everyone here is under 65! I live in monarch grove, moved here a year ago. I am 57 all my neighbors are 65 and older. And our newer area looks nicer than the “old” neighborhoods. We have nice new everything..roads rec centers and plazas and will only get better. The golf cart roads to Brownwood are unbelievable and I have talked with people who live by Brownwood and Lake Sumter, they are jealous of our new landscaping and I have met several people who moved from the “old” neighborhoods to come by all the new stuff. I would rather have newer home then used. Yea, there are all ages in the new section. Young and old. Quit telling people stuff about the “newer” area since you don’t live over here. My advice to people they need to come here and look everywhere don’t ask opinions cause you have to decide what you like.
Closed Thread

Tags
enjoy, talking, areas, couple, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.