Fatal Golf Cart Accident

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
lawatha lawatha is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: All over CA, ID, WA, and now the Village of St. James, TV
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We're new to TV and haven't yet bought a golf cart, but I think I'd feel more secure with seatbelts in the cart. If that's an option you pay extra for, I'd be willing to pay extra for that sense of security. I don't know that it needs to be a requirement, but if given the option, I'd definitely opt to be buckled up. Sad to hear of the recent accidents- my heart goes out to those involved, and their families.
  #107  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
pooh's Avatar
pooh pooh is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA, CA, TV
Posts: 6,116
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawatha View Post
We're new to TV and haven't yet bought a golf cart, but I think I'd feel more secure with seatbelts in the cart. If that's an option you pay extra for, I'd be willing to pay extra for that sense of security. I don't know that it needs to be a requirement, but if given the option, I'd definitely opt to be buckled up. Sad to hear of the recent accidents- my heart goes out to those involved, and their families.
We have a Polaris cart and it came with seat belts in the front as well as for the rear seat. It's nice having them. Helps especially in making sure the passenger is kept from falling out when sharp turns are made.

I know one can be thrown from a cart in an accident, but it's pretty easy for someone to fall from a cart while riding around, and hit their head on the pavement.

Personally, I'm in favor of belts for carts, but I know not all are.
__________________
Namaste y'all
  #108  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
LindaManson LindaManson is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Live in Duval.
Posts: 52
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Identification when Out and About

Some posters have mentioned that they do not always have ID when they are out and about in their carts or walking. My Hubby and I have solved that. he rides a bike a lot and wears an Identification bracelet, like the stretchy ones for cancer awareness. His actually has a clasp on the strap for easily removing if needed. I have two, one attached to my shoe strings over th tongue of the shoe and also the bracelet kind and they also make military style dog tags, (and a tag for your canine dogs collar). The great thing about these Road ID's is that they also have your medical history stored online just a phone call away for the first responder. They also work great for parents who might suffer from demensia and might wonder off. Id is usually with them.

And yes I do usually have a purse or wallet with me, but if it gets thrown out of a vehicle, car or golf cart, or gets under the seat, or stolen, then it is useless. And My mother carries her medical info in her purse, but that might not be the first place for a first responder to look (in the envelope with all her receipts) for medical info. So she has a bracelet that she sometimes wears. Sometimes is better than never I guess. but it is usually in her purse or attached to the strap.

The Website for Road ID is
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#42

If this appeals to you check it out, if it doesn't check it out anyway. We wear ours around The Villages, on trips ( I travel alone alot), kayaking, boating, walking, just about everything we do. At minimue it has a contact name nd phone number readily visible.

And don't forget the ICE for your phone.....In Case of Emergency. Open your contacts and create a name called ICE... then list your family names and number here so they have that if they have your phone. Enter several names and numbers. First responders look for both of these forms of information in an emergency.

Take a look. Might save a life!!!
  #109  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Endless Summer's Avatar
Endless Summer Endless Summer is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Under ICE in my cell phone as well as three contact numbers I used comments to put in medication allergies, meds currently taking and insurance info. Hope no one ever has to look there but if they do..........
__________________
There are those who do and those who wouldacouldashoulda.
  #110  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

Is looking for ICE on your phone something that first responders or emergency room folks know to do? It seems like a very simple thing to have on your smartphone, but you would need to not have a password or activation code on your phone..right?

Is ICE the standard app or are there others?

Just asking, 'cause I don't know....
  #111  
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM
kaydee kaydee is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 915
Thanks: 45
Thanked 71 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Thought I'd share a helpful hint regarding personal identification. I made several little business cards " EMERGENCY CONTACTS" our full names along with 4 contact people & their phone #'s...I did not use last names for the contacts. We carry those cards in our golf cart, auto and our wallets.
  #112  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 AM
FMF Doc's Avatar
FMF Doc FMF Doc is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 336
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Is looking for ICE on your phone something that first responders or emergency room folks know to do? It seems like a very simple thing to have on your smartphone, but you would need to not have a password or activation code on your phone..right?

Is ICE the standard app or are there others?

Just asking, 'cause I don't know....
Hi Mike:

Nie to see you back safely. My understanding is the first responders/police will scroll or do a search for ICE XXXXXX. On my phone I have ICE Debbie for instance.

George
  #113  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM
pooh's Avatar
pooh pooh is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA, CA, TV
Posts: 6,116
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaManson View Post
Some posters have mentioned that they do not always have ID when they are out and about in their carts or walking. My Hubby and I have solved that. he rides a bike a lot and wears an Identification bracelet, like the stretchy ones for cancer awareness. His actually has a clasp on the strap for easily removing if needed. I have two, one attached to my shoe strings over th tongue of the shoe and also the bracelet kind and they also make military style dog tags, (and a tag for your canine dogs collar). The great thing about these Road ID's is that they also have your medical history stored online just a phone call away for the first responder. They also work great for parents who might suffer from demensia and might wonder off. Id is usually with them.

And yes I do usually have a purse or wallet with me, but if it gets thrown out of a vehicle, car or golf cart, or gets under the seat, or stolen, then it is useless. And My mother carries her medical info in her purse, but that might not be the first place for a first responder to look (in the envelope with all her receipts) for medical info. So she has a bracelet that she sometimes wears. Sometimes is better than never I guess. but it is usually in her purse or attached to the strap.

The Website for Road ID is
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#42

If this appeals to you check it out, if it doesn't check it out anyway. We wear ours around The Villages, on trips ( I travel alone alot), kayaking, boating, walking, just about everything we do. At minimue it has a contact name nd phone number readily visible.

And don't forget the ICE for your phone.....In Case of Emergency. Open your contacts and create a name called ICE... then list your family names and number here so they have that if they have your phone. Enter several names and numbers. First responders look for both of these forms of information in an emergency.

Take a look. Might save a life!!!
These are great. When our son was younger, we had bracelets with names, phone number, address and blood type. We've moved and he's now an adult and neither of our bracelets fit...we've both "outgrown them"... These id bands look much more comfortable than our older ones. I'll be ordering mine today. Thanks so much for the link.

Pat
__________________
Namaste y'all
  #114  
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
spk7951's Avatar
spk7951 spk7951 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Village of Hadley
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Is looking for ICE on your phone something that first responders or emergency room folks know to do? It seems like a very simple thing to have on your smartphone, but you would need to not have a password or activation code on your phone..right?

Is ICE the standard app or are there others?

Just asking, 'cause I don't know....

Yes it is something that got started back in 2005, see link below. I have two listed on my cell contact list, ICE-Home and ICE-Cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
  #115  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
red tail red tail is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rio Grande Designer Villas of De Laguna
Posts: 1,113
Thanks: 16
Thanked 31 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Sounds like it to me. When I get there (in TV perm) I want to bring all these to the attention of Sumter County sheriff's dept who still insist that belts hurt more than help. They are just not looking at real world results - Sad!
last wednsday at the tomberlin club meeting lt. wolfe reminded everyone that seat belts are mandatory and if caught not using them its a $166 fine. funny how lsv drivers need that safety and all the golf cart drivers dont ??
  #116  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Trish Crocker's Avatar
Trish Crocker Trish Crocker is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Mi...NOW Fernandina!!!
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
My dentist always does a cavity search.
and that's exactly why I married a dentist
  #117  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

thanks to everyone for the ICE thing. Never knew that. Just did it to both phones.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.