I’m sorry, maybe a dozen.
The correct answer is eight.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I counted 8 Publix stores.
Seems like dozens as I always seem to be driving by one but I took a look and 8 it is.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:41 PM

You'll love it here. Lots of widows here, means lots of friends to do things with. Most carts have a bag on back for purchases. I put a cooler in mine for frozen foods, then put other bags on top. I shop once a week and still have lots of space in the bag. Carts are fun. Buy a gas cart, low maintenance, yearly tune up, cheap to operate and no distance limitations like battery carts. This will be a good move for you. So much to do here.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Come to the Villages there is plenty to do for singles. I had no idea how much fun driving a golf cart would be-its fun! I wouldn't want to jump in my nice car right out of the pool. but a cart ride home helps you drip dry a little before you get in your house. When the new Publix opens next month down south, it'll be about a quarter mile from my house. When I was north of 44, I just put a laundry basket on the front seat and put my groceries in there-otherwise I was afraid I'd lose things turning the corner. Don't listen to the naysayers-
Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM

Buy a ‘netted grocery bag’ that fits into buckles in rear of golf cart. Some people attach crates in same area,. Works great!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:05 PM

The free Villages golf cart app is not near as good as the $8 app which is so much better by a long shot. It offers so much more and is easier to use.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?

you help -
I take the car to Sam's Club about once a month and run over to Publix, Winn Dixie or Wal Mart everyone once in a while in between. Sam's is not golf cart accessible, but the new BJ's will be. Even still I couldn't fit everything that I buy in my once a month trip in the golf cart. Maybe I'll shop more often if I decide to join BJ's.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I have the big mesh grocery bag. I don't golf, I use my cart for transportation. If you're driving alone, here's how you can EASILY buy an entire week's worth of groceries AND stock up on essentials that you only buy when they're on sale:

Get two insulated grocery bags, and a folding small trunk organizer. The folding trunk organizer will go on the floor of the passengers' seat.

Groceries will go this way:
Eggs, bread, lightbulbs, other "breakables" will go in the basket behind the seats.
Water gallon jugs, 2-litre soda bottles, tubs of kitty litter, go on the bottom of the mesh bag in the back. Stock the insulated bags with frozen and "must refrigerate" foods, EXCEPT milk gallons. Those go on the bottom. Stack those insulated bags on top of the big gallon jugs, kitty litter, etc. You can fit 3 across, positioned sideways, if they're not overstuffed, 2 if they're very full.
You should have room for a 12-pack of toilet paper laid right out on top over everything else.
In the front of the cart, is where you put the plastic bags with your canned goods and 5-pound bags of dog food, etc. As long as it's heavy and you don't make FAST sharp turns, the trunk storage bin will stay put and not budge even an inch.

That there is 1 week of perishables and a minimum of 2 weeks of "stocking up on stuff" items.

It's basically a full shopping cart's worth of stuff and it WILL fit perfectly.

If you don't have a mesh grocery bag, you can still use the straps that you normally use, to strap in your golf cart. Put six-packs or cases of water bottles or soda on the shelf at the bottom of the back of the cart. Then hang all your grocery bags from those straps (put the strap through the bag loops), and make sure the straps are then TIGHT on their buckles. You can hang 4 grocery bags from each strap. Put the insulated bags on the passenger's seat and take it easy when you need to turn a corner. Everything else is the same.

Ask all my former customers how they loved it when I packed their carts for them because they bought more than they realized and couldn't figure out how to get them all home!

Last tip: if you don't have a trunk organizer and don't want to buy one, use paper grocery bags, or the cover of a case of paper. The point is you need a square bottom that won't tip over and slide around next to you. Make sure your b.a.g.g.e.r (can you believe the vulgarity filter ***'s that word out? Crazy. You can say ass but you can't say b.a.g.g.e.r.) at the supermarket "frames" the plastic bags. You can google that to learn what that means. If they're not framing the bags, they weren't trained properly, or they forgot to do it.
Wow! Thank you so much for your detailed reply -- very helpful!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM

Plenty room in front seat if thete is one person in cart. Also storage in rear. Stop by any golf course near you and take a look.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Most locations in the Villages are golf cart accessable to a grocery (less than 5 miles).

Only current exception is south of the Turnpike but that will be resolved by mid February with the opening of a new Publix.
I just use my car. That way I always have room for anything.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:37 PM

I am not a golfer, so my golf cart has a trunk. I love it.....Good luck with your move
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 PM

With all the Publix, Wynn Dixie, Walmart’s in golf cart range, we never have a problem. Like others said, a big nylon bag holds everything and we put all our frozen and cold stiff in a large insulated bag.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?
Thanks for you help -
I always shop with my golf cart. I have the mesh bag (which is always on my cart since I don't golf) that holds a LOT of groceries along with the basket that come with the cart. I just have to remember to not get too carried away (water, soda that take up a lot of room). I have a grocery store near me but I prefer one that is 8 miles away and everything stays cold however I always go home after shopping to unload the groceries.
Closed Thread

Tags
groceries, golf, carts, florida, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.