How to Prep Home for Extended Absence?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 02:00 PM

Great tips, I must save this thread! However, some conflicting advice regarding the toilets. Are bugs coming up through your toilets that big of a problem in Florida? I always flush then shut off the water in my toilet if I am away for more than a few days but I haven't done that here in TV yet. I know of two different people who had their homes flooded when they were away because of problems with their toilet mechanisms. And another two who had their homes flooded from a dishwasher leak and fridge/ice maker issues.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyP View Post
Looking for advice on how to prep home for extended absences.
Closing on our TV home in 3 weeks, but for next year can only visit every 3-4 months, will have security system. What advices/tips do you have for preparing our home for those extended absences?
If you're leaving your internet connected, get a FLUME.

It attaches to your water meter in minutes and will let you know if it detects a leak.

Someone ran over one of our sprinkler heads and we had a full stream down the street for about 2 months whenever the irrigation ran. One month was about 5000 gallons water usage, the next month was like 40,000 gallons. The next purchase was a FLUME.

Just recently the Flume detected a water leak. After a few days, I tracked it down to one of the irrigation valves was leaking about a pint an hour. I replaced the diaphragm, all better.

For what it's worth, I have the following.

Wifi Thermostat
Wifi Garage Door opener
Nest Hello doorbell
remotely accessible Surveillance cameras
Wifi Irrigation controller
Wifi Flume Water monitor.

We're here in TV full time now, but still travel, so I still use all that stuff as we did when we bought but were only visiting every few months.

I leave the thermostat at 80 when we are away.
I never bothered with wrapping the toilets nor did I ever find one that was dry, even after about 3 months, our longest away period.

I did turn off the toilet valves in case one decided to start running.

I do have family nearby so someone could always pop over. Get to know your neighbors, maybe someone can just check in for you.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:59 PM

If you have an electronic ice maker, (which does not have a wire level sensor over the ice cube storage bin) and you turn off the water to the house, check your owners manual to see if you must turn off the ice maker switch which is usually located next to the ice storage bin to prevent damaging the ice maker.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:11 PM
Default a few more things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyP View Post
Looking for advice on how to prep home for extended absences.
Closing on our TV home in 3 weeks, but for next year can only visit every 3-4 months, will have security system. What advices/tips do you have for preparing our home for those extended absences?
Most everything has been covered by others.
I recommend turning your water off. I also unplug washer, dryer, microwave, stove, TVs, printer, etc. to prevent any possibility of Lightening/Electrical Voltage surge. A few neighbors have lost things due to power surges.

I also bought plug in lightening/surge protectors for things i leave plugged in like garage door openers, refrigerator and irrigation system timers. Belkin Single Outlet SurgeCube Surge Protector, 1080 Joules. I actually have these surge protectors on all major items, just in case of a surge even while i am in TV.

Pour vegetable oil down garbage disposal drain and run.
A little bleach in toilets to prevent algae/mildew.
Bring in all outdoor Lanai furniture or anything that can become a projectile during a wind storm.

I got a battery disconnect for the golf cart battery, so, i can quickly disconnect it to avoid parasitic voltage problems and put Stabil in the gas tank.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:11 PM

With the exception of the flume, I have the same WiFi devices in my Amazon basket. I will now search of the flume, thank you for the great tip!
Old 08-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

Aside from lawn maintenance, keep in mind that usually doesn’t include weeding. That is the bane of everyone here. If you’re gone for awhile, you’ll be amazed at how quickly it looks like your home has been abandoned, and likely someone will file a complaint.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Great tips, I must save this thread! However, some conflicting advice regarding the toilets. Are bugs coming up through your toilets that big of a problem in Florida? I always flush then shut off the water in my toilet if I am away for more than a few days but I haven't done that here in TV yet. I know of two different people who had their homes flooded when they were away because of problems with their toilet mechanisms. And another two who had their homes flooded from a dishwasher leak and fridge/ice maker issues.
The house won’t flood if you turn off the main water valve. I put plastic wrap over the toilet but it’s to keep the smell out of the house when the water in the trap evaporates. Nothing to do with bugs
Old 08-11-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
If you're leaving your internet connected, get a FLUME.

It attaches to your water meter in minutes and will let you know if it detects a leak.

Someone ran over one of our sprinkler heads and we had a full stream down the street for about 2 months whenever the irrigation ran. One month was about 5000 gallons water usage, the next month was like 40,000 gallons. The next purchase was a FLUME.

Just recently the Flume detected a water leak. After a few days, I tracked it down to one of the irrigation valves was leaking about a pint an hour. I replaced the diaphragm, all better.

For what it's worth, I have the following.

Wifi Thermostat
Wifi Garage Door opener
Nest Hello doorbell
remotely accessible Surveillance cameras
Wifi Irrigation controller
Wifi Flume Water monitor.

We're here in TV full time now, but still travel, so I still use all that stuff as we did when we bought but were only visiting every few months.

I leave the thermostat at 80 when we are away.
I never bothered with wrapping the toilets nor did I ever find one that was dry, even after about 3 months, our longest away period.

I did turn off the toilet valves in case one decided to start running.

I do have family nearby so someone could always pop over. Get to know your neighbors, maybe someone can just check in for you.
I might be in touch to ask you more about the WiFi stuff you use. I’m new to much of it! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Gold member

I would add you should close all blinds or curtains to keep out the sun. Putting in a RING doorbell is another good idea.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 AM

5j9c7h-jpg
Old 08-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Default Vegetable oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurtt@twc.com View Post
Leaving standing water in toilet without leaving lid up will trap evaporation creating mold/mildew. (From experience)
Put a few drops of dish soap on each toilet and dray then Pour 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil in each toilet, 1/2 cup in each drain - including clothes washer and disposal. The oil will float to the top and prevent any evaporation

Put a few drops of dish soap in the AC condensation drain line to reduce mold growth
Old 08-11-2021, 09:39 AM

We have been snowbirds/snow flakes since 2003. We have used services offered by TV residents. But the best so far are the professionals: The Empty Nest Program! They are very thorough! We will never have any other to look after our home in our absence.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:32 AM

All good info. Ours is our resident home in TV, but gone for about 5 mo's to WI. for the summer. In the past we had a really good "House Watcher" that came once weekly and always sent a email. He has since moved out of TV. But, now have permanent neighbors
that do the house watch. If you don't have that, would really try to find a reliable house
watcher. Things can go wrong. Definitely need to keep lawn watered and cut.
Just as an F.Y.I. we find it is easier to switch off the breakers for the rooms that don't need power, easier that unplugging everything. We leave frig. on low, but put empty items in to take up airspace. Thus far all has worked well for us, hope you have the same.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:13 PM

Rofl
Old 08-12-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Ok that is two responders advising “water off” and lawn sprinklers on. Somehow that does not make much sense to me, but I am getting old.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, extended, absences, prep, advices/tips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.