Hypothetical Situation re: grandchildren

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Default Hypothetical Situation re: grandchildren

NO NO NO, not me!

But, i have a question that some of you may be familiar with yourselves or friends of yours in similar situation.

If a couple, (husband and wife) that live full time in TV and they wind up with custody full time of their grandchildren (kids under age 55 ) what happens?
do they all get evicted?
is there a grace period for children to reside there?

The reason i ask is:
I have a few acquaintances that are now on round 2/phase 2 of "parenting".
For reasons that are terrible, these couples have now become full time parents AGAIN!

When Paul and I were discussing TV again last night, we thought of "omgosh what if?"

Disclosure*** We have 1 son. He is single, has no children that we know of, and hope never to be in a predicament like these folks that I am thinking of.

Comments?

andrea
andrea james<br /><br />proud parent of Mass Maritime Academy 2008 graduate<br />and now employed Nuclear Engineer @ Dept. of Defense!&nbsp; <br />A grad and employed!&nbsp; Hubby and I are so very proud.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Default Re: Hypothetical Situation re: grandchildren

Children under 19 can visit 30 days per year. They should not live here. I realize that family issues arise, but neighbors don't want kids in the neighborhood no matter how "cute" they are.

Those are the rules and they are in our deed restrictions. In reality I think that for a short period of time as a transition period neighbors would not complain, but if it were permanent I think the grandparents should move.

That's my Mr. Grumpy answer.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Sorry but rules are rules. I would feel sorry for the family BUT it would be time for them to find a place that allowed children. Most of us love children but one of the reasons we bought here is it is for adults only.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Andrea,
I have heard that situation has occurred in TV, and the grandparents did have to move.
There were too many complaints. And deed restrictions were violated.
Also if one grandparent is allowed, so should everyone be allowed.
Then TV is no longer the same place that we all love.

Better for the child to live in a neighborhood with other children anyway.
With larger yards and playgrounds nearby.
Not in a retirement community...

Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Sage

Just to be real clear....if the children or grandchildren are over 19 (under 55 is irrelevant) they can live here full time.

The over 55 primarily pertains to the homeowner and, even then, up to 20% of homeowners can be under 55 (but over 19).
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM

We are arriving at TV on June 22nd for our Lifestyle preview. Have been there before and actually are going to be looking at hopefully buying on this trip and renting it out until 2009. We plan to retire next summer and make the big move. We have a son (24 yrs) who is looking for work in central Florida (just completed his master's) and he may be living with us or possibily if he finds a job before we move, he may need to stay in TV without us there. Does anyone think this will be a problem? If we are owners does he as a resident of the home get privileges like we would?
Thanks and really looking forward to our trip and future in TV.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,698 Times in 604 Posts

it could happen to anyone, My wife and I talked and realize if we took on a grandchild (unlikely hopefully) we'd have to move.

Age 19+ is ok, to my knowledge
Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Sage

sbm,

Your situation should be fine...you and spouse would be owners and would get residents' IDs. Son, if he establishes his Florida residency at your house, can also get a TV ID and get full residents' privileges (he'll have to use the family pools for 6 years before he's eligible for the adult pools). I've seen a number of instances of adult children living here with their parents.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 AM

all of your replies make perfect sense to us.

the funny thing is we were just wondering if it has happened and what were the consequences.

thanks for the replies

andrea
andrea james<br /><br />proud parent of Mass Maritime Academy 2008 graduate<br />and now employed Nuclear Engineer @ Dept. of Defense!&nbsp; <br />A grad and employed!&nbsp; Hubby and I are so very proud.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My daughter lived with me for 8 months when we moved here. She just turned 21. There were no problems getting her an id. As was said, so long as she was over 19, she was considered a resident. The only things prohibited to her were the adult and sports pools (you have to be over 30 to use those). I also know of a few kids who live here who are under 19 -- their parents simply lied and said they were 19. They don't check when they issue ids.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 PM

Actually, the rule here is 80/20. They just don't advertise it. 80 percent of the community only really needs to be over 55. Very few people know this...and there are some children here. As for adult children (over 19) - there are many (some permanent, some temporary).
Old 06-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

I am beginning to think I have been around here way too long maybe.

Someone new asks a question with a new topic start and a thread begins. So I start reading and then my brain says, "But Wait! We already talked about that."

Then I dive into the archives searching for the previous discussion. It usually takes me a little time, like about a cup of morning coffee, while I sit here in the kitchen, goofing off on this infernal computer.

Sometimes when I remember old threads, I begin to wonder if I have turned into one of those savants that you see on television. You know the ones I mean. The ones who have the most astounding memories. . .

But some of those savants, while their memories are absolutely stunning, can remember only one thing. Like all the notes in a piece of music they have heard one time. Or maybe there is a perpetual calendar embedded in their brains and they know the exact date of any event that has happened...ever.

So if I have turned into a savant since I arrived here last November, that's the kind I am. A memory for only one thing. How I wish I were a music savant. But alas, I must be a TOTV savant. Meanwhile, half the time, I cannot begin to remember where I put my checkbook.

So anyway, andrea j., welcome to TOTV. And here is a link of a slightly different version of this discussion that I hope helps, too.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg49833

So now that the coffee pot is empty and the gardening show I listen to on Saturday morning radio is over, I am going to try to leave this kitchen computer for awhile.

But no matter where I go today, I will be wrestling and wrestling with this question. All day long, no matter what I am doing, I will be asking myself. . .

Have I turned into a savant? A savant with a memory only for TOTV posts but sadly lacking the brain calendar to make the archive searches easy. Kind of a half- :edit: savant, I guess.

Or maybe I should just tell myself that I have decided to become quite the "Helpful Henrietta" so to speak, providing information from the archives.

Or do I have to face reality and admit that it's none of the above?

Do I have to admit that months and months of clues are piling up?

Do I have to state the obvious? --that normal people would have simply linked the link and typed "bump" and then got up and done a little work.

Is it finally time to just scream it to the world? Yeah, I think it is.

"I AM A MAJOR, BEYOND ANY HOPE OF REDEMPTION, POWER PROCRASTINATOR!!!"

Boomer

(But I still hope the link helps. If you can find it buried in all this.)

Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Sage

Dayton - 80/20 (discussed here MANY times) is for owners. The under 19 rule for live-ins still applies regardless of the age of the owner(s).

Neighbors can (and have) turned in those that are having a child under 19 live with them. Of course they may not get caught but then again they might. TV is not for young children on a permanent basis.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:54 PM

I know of children living here. The school buses even pick up and drop off here.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage

Didn't know that. Do I have to sign some sort of waiver if I'm a neighbor? I thought the local covenants didn't allow that but I guess you have proved me wrong. See, I guess I don't really know anything.

Seriously - Inside the actual villages of TV the covenants do not allow children under 19 to live more than 30 days. To my knowledge EVERYONE has to live by those rules. Perhaps there is an exception based on handicap or something (maybe someone else can elaborate?). Does anyone have the actual wording that you signed so we can either prove this person (Dayton) wrong or right? The original questioner would like to know and it looks like we have varying opinions. I'd like to know the answer as well.

My wife has a daycare business and maybe we can continue it down in TV :joke:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.