Jump in water bill 🤯 Jump in water bill 🤯 - Page 3 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Jump in water bill 🤯

Reply
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-30-2026, 07:48 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,775
Thanks: 3,331
Thanked 9,591 Times in 3,940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Or just install a Flume. It can alert you of broken heads or leaks.


Flume Water | Smart Home Water Monitor | Water Leak Detector
This BlueBot meter looks interesting as well. I might buy one to test it out.

In any case, be aware that the District will argue that their meters are accurate and are the only official metering device.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #32  
Old 07-30-2026, 08:02 AM
twoplanekid's Avatar
twoplanekid twoplanekid is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Posts: 2,125
Thanks: 7
Thanked 817 Times in 347 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
This BlueBot meter looks interesting as well. I might buy one to test it out.

In any case, be aware that the District will argue that their meters are accurate and are the only official metering device.
The new AMR water meters being install keep an hourly history of water flow that is helpful to the District and residents to help discover water use problems. The old meters did not have that capability. And, the meters are going to be read more frequently than just once a month. If you feel customer support is not friendly enough then please feel free to attend an NSCUDD meeting( if you live between 466 and 44) to then discuss the issue with board members that are elected to represent you.
  #33  
Old 07-30-2026, 08:25 AM
Del Mar Paradise Del Mar Paradise is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default My water bill is higher this months with no one in the house!

Not sure what to do. Reading other posts plumbers could not find any issues with plumbing that would cause this increase. Did the water company dramatically increase their prices?
  #34  
Old 07-30-2026, 08:25 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,775
Thanks: 3,331
Thanked 9,591 Times in 3,940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The new AMR water meters being install keep an hourly history of water flow that is helpful to the District and residents to help discover water use problems. The old meters did not have that capability. If you feel customer support is not friendly enough then please feel free to attend an NSCUDD meeting( if you live between 466 and 44) to then discuss the issue with board members that are elected to represent you.
I attended several NSCUDD meetings where cases of unexplained 25,000 gallon usage came up. The members listened then turned to the District who explained that the meters are accurate, the meters measured the water, the water flowed through the meter, and the homeowner was responsible for the bill.

I believe the NSCUDD members listen to their constituents and try to help but there is only so much they can do. The members ask the experts who say, "that cannot happen," which pretty much shuts down the conversation.

I don't recall whether it was the members or the District that initiated the one-time high-usage forgiveness program which is definitely a good program for the homeowners.

My high usage was unexpected but not unexplained. I found the continuous leak and when I corrected it the usage went back to normal.

In the meetings I attended I heard too many homeowners report turning off their water yet receiving a bill for 25,000 gallons while they were gone. Before they left and after they returned the usage was normal but while they were gone with the water turned off the meter registered 25,00 gallons. Always the same amount. Usually when the water was turned off. Never with any explanation the homeowner or plumber could find.

When my certified highly accurate meter read zero gallons for two consecutive months the District immediately acknowledged that it was inaccurate and replaced it. When that same model meter suddenly registers an unexplained 25,000 gallon usage the District stands by the reading of their certified highly accurate meter. And again, the one-time forgiveness program is an effective answer to this situation.

You have seen me write on this topic in the past. I am looking forward to the hourly register in the AMR meters. That same register exists in some of the newer, non-AMR meters but I don't know if the Villages installed any of those.


(Happy to see someone is running to take your position when you leave. I considered it and others suggested that I apply but now is not the time for me to serve on that board)
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #35  
Old 07-30-2026, 08:29 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,775
Thanks: 3,331
Thanked 9,591 Times in 3,940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mar Paradise View Post
Not sure what to do. Reading other posts plumbers could not find any issues with plumbing that would cause this increase. Did the water company dramatically increase their prices?
Did the amount for your water increase or was it another line on the bill? My "water bill" contains eight lines but only two are for the water I used.

Did the amount of water used increase or did the amount charged for same water increase?
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #36  
Old 07-30-2026, 08:49 AM
CrosbyStills CrosbyStills is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jun 2026
Posts: 107
Thanks: 3
Thanked 81 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Flume and BlueDot look like very similar products. I like everything about them EXCEPT there is no availability to shut off water remotely via app.

Do Flume or BlueDot figure out what is normal water usage during irrigation and then alert you when that is greatly exceeded?
  #37  
Old 07-30-2026, 09:13 AM
KCornman KCornman is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Nov 2024
Posts: 60
Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

In our case, they emailed us the hourly register for the prior 2 months and it helped us determine exactly where our problem was.
  #38  
Old 07-30-2026, 09:26 AM
Altavia Altavia is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5,255
Thanks: 2,133
Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,933 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Flume and BlueDot look like very similar products. I like everything about them EXCEPT there is no availability to shut off water remotely via app.

Do Flume or BlueDot figure out what is normal water usage during irrigation and then alert you when that is greatly exceeded?
Flume provides alerts (Text &/or email) and you can assign Emergency Contacts to be notified if you are away.

I have no idea if Flume will be compatible with the new AMR meter update.

BlueDot attaches to a waterline rather than the meter but has a monthly cost for internet access after the first year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	112954   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	112955  

Last edited by Altavia; 07-30-2026 at 09:39 AM.
  #39  
Old 07-30-2026, 09:02 PM
islandtiempo islandtiempo is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 68
Thanks: 130
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I think the Yolink water meters are more suited for addressing this kind of issue of excessive water usage.

https://shop.yosmart.com/collections...oHzm3wvaZbJz8_

Last edited by islandtiempo; 07-31-2026 at 09:06 AM.
  #40  
Old 07-31-2026, 08:27 AM
CrosbyStills CrosbyStills is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jun 2026
Posts: 107
Thanks: 3
Thanked 81 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtiempo View Post
I think the Yolink water meters are much more appropriate for addressing this kind of issue.

https://shop.yosmart.com/collections...oHzm3wvaZbJz8_
Those are very interesting. Do you install in-line in the garage (space between studs) or in a separate water meter vault in the yard? One for each, house and irrigation? That could get costly. Still, very interesting, thank you for sharing!
  #41  
Old 09-02-2026, 01:10 PM
Margaretweitekamp Margaretweitekamp is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am having the same issue. My water bill jumped from 600 gallons in July to 15,670 gals in August. I called to have them come read the meter again. I will know something in 4-5 days she said
  #42  
Old 09-29-2026, 07:45 AM
Mrfriendly Mrfriendly is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 408
Thanks: 221
Thanked 227 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Just received new Sept Utilities bill. My house is vacant, water turned off in garage so no water used in house, few weeks ago we got notice of new water meter stalled by the water company (all houses on our street got same).
My bill shows I used 2820 gals and charges for water and sewer ($25).
Anyone else come across excessive water charges after new meter installed? I’m going to check with Utilities dept.
Also noticed monthly Amenity Fee is now up to $211.35
__________________
Bill
NJ Shore (Exit 98)

Last edited by Mrfriendly; 09-29-2026 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a sentence.
  #43  
Old 09-29-2026, 07:53 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,775
Thanks: 3,331
Thanked 9,591 Times in 3,940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfriendly View Post
Just received new Sept Utilities bill. My house is vacant, water turned off in garage so no water used in house, few weeks ago we got notice of new water meter stalled by the water company (all houses on our street got same).
My bill shows I used 2820 gals and charges for water and sewer ($25).
Anyone else come across excessive water charges after new meter installed? I’m going to check with Utilities dept.
Also noticed monthly Amenity Fee is now up to $211.35
Please pass along what you find out.

I don’t recall anyone posting about this issue with the new meters before. I can think of several possibilities but the Utilities department is the right place to start.

Your amenity fee should increase in the same month every year. The increase is based on the CPI number from one or two months ago which should be around 3%.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
Reply

Tags
water, jump, home, what’s, fyi


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.