New here, and looking forward!

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Default New here, and looking forward!

Hi! My name is Debi. My husband Steve and I are soon to pack up, and drive to The Villages, to buy a home, and live 'happily ever after!' Must say we are excited!
In the process of looking at homes on line. (Have visited 4 January's so we are familiar with the area, and love it! I do understand that July and August are quite 'hot', and this upstate gal will have to get used to the heat, but that is okay with me!

Wondering why there are some forum areas where I cannot find the post thread button? Any help with that, appreciated. (I understand I need permission on some areas, but ?
My husband and I have some questions, to help us in our home search, etc... and am hoping I can post.

Really looking forward to arriving in The Villages in a few weeks!
Debi
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,334 Posts

what are your questions...... lots of people happy to help
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: Full Time in the Village of Gilchrist (aka Party Central)

Welcome to TOTV, Debi! My wife and I have been here for 2 weeks waiting on our home to be built and we just love it. It is a little hot but I'm thinking I can endure a few months of hot weather just to be able to forgo the snow, sleet and ice during the winter months. I know you'll love it here. So, don't be a lurker, just jump in and post. You'll definitely get a lot of answers to your questions. In what village are you buying???
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Sage

Debi, Welcome to TOTV. Best of luck to you and your husband on your home search. This is the place to get info. on moving to and living in The Villages.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

Welcome, Debi and Steve! We've been in our new home in the Village of Charlotte since late January, making us "old timers" in this area! You're gonna love it!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Gold member

to the TOTV forum. I think you'll be able to do more after posting a certain number of times. In the meantime, there are lots of answers if you use the search box.
In reality, they're different!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi, my name is Marsha and my husband is Richard. We just bought in the Village of Charlotte on Highridge. We'll be there in a week to pick out furniture and take care of some things and then making our final drive to TV as full time residents the end of August. We are so excited and can't wait to meet everyone and make new friends.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies! (We are not sure where we will be, in TV, yet... we are still on the hunt for our home) We have a friend here who owns a home in TV, and they are allowing us to stay there while we hunt! How cool is that!

Okay, a few questions from Steve and I ...

1. Anyone with pros / cons for vaulted ceilings versus flat?
2. Should we be concerned with the 'west facing lanai' heat? Is n,s or e lanai facing best?
3. Television / phone/ internet... Comcast... is that our one option (if we don't want Dish) ?

Thanks so much for being here! :O))
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Debi,
I love the vaulted ceilings.
West facing lanais will be very warm in the summer, but will offer great sunsets. They will be warm in the winter, but it will not always be warm enough to use your lanai then. Ours is facing north, but we see west out the lanai side, so we like that.
We use Comcast. South of 466A can also have Brighthouse. There may be other options. Century link?? Maybe
Welcome! You will love it!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Sage

IMHO unless you are on an open space I don't know how you could see a wonderful sunset from your lanai. My front door faces west and I don't have that experience! I think
the only thing you will have is heat, heat and more heat. My lanai faces east and unless the fan is spinning full blast and I am under it I can't sit out there - and I love to be outside so I keep the fan going and enjoy every breeze that might come my way. I also have the slider open to allow some cool air to escape. I know not the smartest thing for the electric bill, but I haven't been stung yet by a ridiculous bill so I will keep doing what I'm doing - which I don't mind saying is "loving The Villages". Welcome and I hope it is beyond your expectations as it was mine.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Welcome to TOTV!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,334 Posts

didn't get volume ceiling this time depends on the house if i like the look... if you are building south466a you can get brighthouse (bonus) have a north facing lanai great in the summer but chilly in the winter
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Hi Debi. We have been here 4 weeks,and this is what we think in our limited experience.

We have an At Ease model, and we LOVE our vaulted ceilings. A number of visitors have commented on them. We also have a west facing lanai. and dont find it too hot, and we LOVE the sunsets. Finally, we have Century Link Prism for TV and Internet (didn't bother with a land line, just use the cell phones) and are very pleased so far. Good luck with you move and welcome to both TOTV and TV!

Bill and Sue
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the input! I think we are going to end up wishing we had moved earlier! LOL
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie1948 View Post
Haven"t done this before but couldn't resist. We are Roger and Jan. Moving to Highridge the end of Oct. Going next week to meet with the design team. Which house did you buy. We may be close neighbors. We are moving from Missouri but originally from Chicago area. Anxious to meet !!!
Hello hodgie1948. Welcome to TOTV. I am a TV wannabee from Schaumburg. Where in Chicago do you hail from?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.