Newbie who is a Wannabe

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Default Newbie who is a Wannabe

Hi All-
I am new to the forum. Life long resident of Baltimore, MD, but have visited TV several times in the past. Have not been to TV in over 8 years, I am sure I would not even recognize it.

The Hubby and I are about 5-8 years our from retirement. He has never been to TV, and thinks I am crazy when I go on, and on about the place.. His initial response is that he is not very interested in living in FL. He would rather move to Hilton Head.. I am hoping he will drink the Kool-aid when we visit

Hoping to do a lifestyle visit next spring....

Should I be concerned about build out before I will get there
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreGal View Post
Hi All-
I am new to the forum. Life long resident of Baltimore, MD, but have visited TV several times in the past. Have not been to TV in over 8 years, I am sure I would not even recognize it.

The Hubby and I are about 5-8 years our from retirement. He has never been to TV, and thinks I am crazy when I go on, and on about the place.. His initial response is that he is not very interested in living in FL. He would rather move to Hilton Head.. I am hoping he will drink the Kool-aid when we visit

You just need to get him down here to experience it,....it's probably going to take a few more years for them to "build out". There will always be something available.....
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

even if they "build out" there's a very active resale market.

you really need to just drag hubby on down,
and he'll be asking you to move here, this place is GREAT.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Location: Hong Kong; California; New York; Alabama; Texas; Kansas; Washington, DC; Maryland & TV at St James

Hey BmoreGal,

My dear husband didn't believe me either when I went on and on about TV after my first visit (without him). He thought I was blowing smoke!! But on the 3rd day of our LSV, he was ready to buy land - which we did - and less than one year later, closed on August 11.

BTW, we are from Burtonsville, MD
Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Sage

BMoreGal,

Your hubby has no idea how many flavors of the Kool Refreshing Drink we serve here. Bet he finds himself looking for ways to retire early.

We'll leave the light on for you!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Gold member
Default The Visit

I was the same way,

NO WAY I'm not living in Fla etc. etc . That was five years ago.

We move in this July!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Coming from Baltimore you'll find this amazing. I played 18 holes today with a steeler fan riding in my cart. Weird things can happen here.

I lived in Savannah for ten years which is across the river from Hilton Head. It was nice but Hilton Head is a little smaller, kind of isolated and is somewhat redneck. Actually I visited Myrtle Beach twice in 1998 looking to move there at the time and liked it alot more, I guess because there was so much to do. Since I'm a little older now, TV is fine with me.

When I moved here to TV last July my other options were Pensacola, Florida since I had lived there for six years, very nice place and not so many tourist. The other was staying in Maryland but going down to the eastern shore, Ocean Pines, Rehoboth Beach or something like that. In fact there was a story recently in the paper here about a big group that split time between Ocean Pines and TV and they get together down here in the winter. Good luck on your search.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi All-

Bmore Gal, I am also a "long term" TV wannabee because of my younger age, so I may not purchase anything before the buildout, as I'm just not real comfortable owning 2 homes, even if I could rent out the home in TV. As someone else posted, there will always be the resale market in TV. If you haven't been to TV in 8 years, you will be surprised by the growth and the new villages. It has only been 5 months since my last visit to TV, and there has been lots of building south of 466A and the Haciendas at Mission Hills was not finished yet when I last visited this past October. But I will be back in TV for a week in June come hell or high water.

Hope you can talk your husband into doing a lifestyle visit!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Default Someday....

Schaumberger- I too, would not be fond of owning 2 homes. The Hubby has a house that we are currently trying to sell. The market in Baltimore is not very brisk. I often tease him that we should take the proceeds from his house, and buy in TV....
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Schaumberger- I too, would not be fond of owning 2 homes. The Hubby has a house that we are currently trying to sell. The market in Baltimore is not very brisk. I often tease him that we should take the proceeds from his house, and buy in TV....
I guess we were lucky. After our LSV last April we listed our Abingdon home in May. We used a discount broker, I think it was 4.2% commission. She came in the afternoon and took the information and actually suggested listing our home for $15,000 more than we had thought. The next morning Long & Foster called at 9am to show our home at 10am. After the showing we got a call about noon that we had a cash offer guaranteed with no contingencies.

In Abingdon they built a new Wegmans about 500' from our front door, we were actually the closest home. The manager was in town for just two days from Rochester, NY and had looked at 9 homes the day before and nothing appealed to them. We were the first home they saw day two and immediately loved our remodeled kitchen.

We ended up buying our CYV villa from the villages website, we never made a second trip down. Since there is no decorator input allowed on CYV and at the time they were only selling in our section and since we knew which model we wanted I didn't see the need to travel down here again. When we arrived 4th of July weekend we were surprised how nice the interior looked and we have really nice neighbors in Southern Star Villas in Tamarind Grove. In fact we had a block party yesterday with a live band and saw a fellow wearing a Ravens golf shirt. Found out he moved here two weeks after us from Cockeysville.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

We've met a number of people who will not live in Florida but loves The Villages. The Villages is some how different because of the Kool Aid we drink. You should plead him to spend either your birthday or the next Valentine at The Villages. Any excuse will do. We were planning to retire in Pinehurst but good thing we didn't. Hilton Head is the same. It will still be cold and in the dead of winter, activities will come to a screeching halt including restaurants. Not TV.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Default We just got home from Wegmans

Love Wegmans. Hubby visits that store the way I visit DSW shoes... Traffic is crazy with the new bridge and the split between 24/924. His house in in Bel Air (off of rt 543) Having the kitchen updated, some more painting done, and general sprucing up... Going to try a different broker. His last broker was a neighbor, and I think her objectivity was skewed as such. Hoping to have more success this time around

Really going to try to convince Hubby to visit next year.... Sounds like a great Anniversay trip in April...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I visited the Villages on the life style program in Nov 2011 and closed in Dec 2011. I had a tough time with the decision as I too have a another home. because of a personal issue within my family I cannot spend as much time in the Villages that I want to so I decided to rent my house when I am not there. Not my first choice but it does help with the expenses. That may be an option for you on a temporary basis.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Default What kind of house

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
I visited the Villages on the life style program in Nov 2011 and closed in Dec 2011. I had a tough time with the decision as I too have a another home. because of a personal issue within my family I cannot spend as much time in the Villages that I want to so I decided to rent my house when I am not there. Not my first choice but it does help with the expenses. That may be an option for you on a temporary basis.
What model house did you buy. I would love to get Hubby to visit next year, and think I would prefer to rent a house instead of a villa. We also have friends who have previously visited, who may come with us. Thinking about April 2013... Can you send me information in a PM about your house, golf cart yes or no, and what you would rent if for.

thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.