one vs. two cars

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
We have 2 vehicles and a cart. We have been here 9 months. So far I would not give up the 2nd vehicle. When it is cold, storming or too hot, I take the car. It is a long ride in a cart from CR 466A to CR 42. IMHO,This past snowbird season you were safer in a car. Time will tell if we sell the 2nd vehicle. Spend some time here before you sell the 2nd vehicle.
We have a car, a golf cart and a motorcycle. We use the car every day to visit the private dog park which is not golf cart accessible. I love the golf cart for short jaunts. But there are days when we both want to use the car at the same time, to go in different directions, if it is raining, or if we both want to do some shopping or meet friends off campus.

I agree with Oldcrabs. Spend some time in TV before you limit yourself to one vehicle. Everyone has different needs.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Sage

I'm with Old Crabs and Barefoot. We've been here for four years now and I'm not ready to give up two cars. Most of the places we go are "off campus". I know TJMaxx could be reached by golf cart but the car will get there quicker and safer.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Location: Johnstown, Pa. - Ebensburg, Pa. - Village of Sanibel

We sold my husband truck before the move to TV. Lighten the load! We have one car and one golf cart now. The only time we miss the truck is when we have to haul something from Home Depot. But my Santa Fe has a big back compartment and does all the hauling.
Don't miss what we don't have!
Someday we may buy a little convertible to spin around in!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I'm with Old Crabs and Barefoot.
And I agree with you three!
Try it in person, then decide.
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Location: The Villages, FL, village of Sanibel (previously Colchester, CT and Dallas, PA)

Our original plan was for one car and one golf cart. Then one day, I was out in Leesburg and had a close call with a reckless driver. If something had happened to me (thankfully it did not) then my husband would have had no way of reaching me because he would be at home with only a golf cart. What if I had ended up in a hospital off campus? So now we are contemplating two cars.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Location: The Villages, Florida, formerly of West Des Moines, Iowa

Plan to live simply! Why burden yourself with more than you need, or want to spend your money on (insurance, gas)? We sold our second vehicle (my beloved VW Beetle) before moving. We'll use one car until our golf cart arrives (July 2), and then we won't drive the car much. Even though we're south of 466A and lots of shopping is up north on 441, we plan to drive the golf cart. That's what makes living in The Villages so much fun!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I tend to agree that everyone has different needs, and better to try it for yourself before getting rid of a car.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Hi, you're going to begin a new lifestyle. See what works best for your needs. However you choose, you'll be delighted.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM

We dithered about that as well, traded both cars on one new one with more space, bought golf cart, so far no issues whatever. You'll find most daily needs are within golf cart range. Welcome.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Whenever some ask a question of should I.....your going to get a variety of answers because there are a variety of reasons. I have lived here for six years. I have two cars and one cart parked in my garage. My wife and I believed that we could eventually eliminate one car. As it turned out the only time our cart leaves the garage is when we play golf.

Our shopping routine carries us to so many stores and so does not comport with a golf cart as to mileage traveled, storage and temperatures. We also don't visit the town squares very often but when we do again prefer our car.

In fact based on our usage one could make the argument that it would be more cost effective to rent a cart each time we played a championship course and walk the executive courses. It would save $141.00 per year for trail fees. Rentals at Championship courses here are $10.00. If a family spent just $8,000 for their golf cart then that equates to quite a few rounds of golf and that is not including the routine maintenance and loss of garage space. However many villagers spend much more than that for a golf cart.

Now you will hear or may have already heard from villagers who live in their golf carts and that is their preferred lifestyle.

You obviously have to make your decision on where you and your spouse fit within this spectrum. Best wishes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead1026 View Post
We dithered about that as well ......
Lemme see here......'dithered'........

I learned something new today - thanks!

Bill
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Rentals at Championship courses here are $10.00.
Do they offer rentals at the exec courses as well?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

I chuckle when my non-Villages friends wonder why on earth I, as a single person, should want two vehicles? They have no clue as to the convenience of a golf cart, paired with the very occasional necessity of an automobile!

Sometimes when they visit, they understand!

Were my late wife still with me, I am pretty certain that we'd still have two automobiles, 'cause she'd not want to be "trapped" without wheels!

Very much a lifestyle thing, as others have emphasized!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.