Scam, but what's the angle

Unread 04-15-2024, 03:07 PM
Default Scam, but what's the angle

Today I received what appeared to be a returned piece of mail. It was returned because of lack of postage. It had my name and address on the return address. However, I never sent it.

The mail contained what appears to be a cashier's check made out to an individual in The Bronx, NY.

The amount of postage for this envelope was $1.10, but it was returned for insufficient postage. The postage said that $6.50 was needed to get this package that I received to a person I don't know.

I'm almost positive this is a scam. What I'm wondering is what is the scammer's angle? How are they going to make money?

Any input would be appreciated.

Best
Unread 04-15-2024, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

The scam: the cashier's check. A real cashier's check is a check someone paid for in advance. So you think "hey - I need to get my money back, and I have this check, so I'll deposit it back into my account." Except it's not your check, it's most likely not a valid check at all. When the bank tries to process it, it pings the criminal and lets them know they got a hit. And now the fraudsters have your bank info. They sent it to you, with your name and address on the return, so they know you exist already.
Unread 04-15-2024, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,168 Times in 2,257 Posts

I agree with above, now I would go a step further and contact the police, since this was sent through the mail it is now a federal offence and this could actually get the FBI involved. In any case, do not do anything with the check, except turning it over to the police.
Unread 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

It seems like a scam but I don't see how the scammer would benefit in this scenario. Usually these type of scams are part of an online sale where they send you a fake check for more than the price they are supposedly paying for an item. They ask you to send them a refund for the difference. Then later the bank finds it was a fake check and holds you responsible.
Unread 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,752 Times in 5,258 Posts

Was the $1.10 legal postage paid to the USPS? Did the letter come to you in your mailbox? Usually, scammers do not send anything by U.S. Mail to avoid a Federal mail fraud charge. If not, they may just want to collect the $6.50, or hope you use a credit card to pay it.
Unread 04-15-2024, 03:35 PM
Gold member

It is possible that it is someone doing something illegal (maybe drugs) & using fake return addresses in case something goes awry. Using a real fake address - yours - would prevent it from being flagged, if the P.O. does that. I would hand it over to the post office, telling them you never sent it, & leave it at that. That way if there is some sort of organized criminal activity & they get busted, you have cleared yourself.
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:18 AM

Simple but clever. You deposit their check. They get a cancelled check back with all your banking information. Rip it up and report it as mail fraud at the post office
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Simple but clever. You deposit their check. They get a cancelled check back with all your banking information. Rip it up and report it as mail fraud at the post office
If it was a fraudulent check it wouldn't clear, if fraudulent who would they send it to ?
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAugustine View Post
Today I received what appeared to be a returned piece of mail. It was returned because of lack of postage. It had my name and address on the return address. However, I never sent it.

The mail contained what appears to be a cashier's check made out to an individual in The Bronx, NY.

The amount of postage for this envelope was $1.10, but it was returned for insufficient postage. The postage said that $6.50 was needed to get this package that I received to a person I don't know.

I'm almost positive this is a scam. What I'm wondering is what is the scammer's angle? How are they going to make money?

Best
Some of these guys pointed out the obvious, now for the small stuff missed.

1) you define as a package, yet you know what is in it. so a package is more than an envelope of which you could see the check. so which is it?
a. if a package - the postage could be appropriate, however you committed and offense as it's not your mail. This is typically called 'the bait', as you already did an illegal might as well go all the way. Yes it's silly but it works far more than you can imagine.
b. If an envelope then the $6.50 is far too high and a red flag something is up.

2) not sure if this was covered but in these types of scams there is a network of validation, you doing anything with this 'package' validates you idenity and location to more than just one person. It is possible that they try something else that is more convincing .

3) personally I would either turn it over to FBI as this is national/federal if they won't take it, then just destroy it. and move on. As one thing that is always a good after effect is you to continue thinking about this, it would make the next move even easier to complete.

This is why I love cyber security!
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
It is possible that it is someone doing something illegal (maybe drugs) & using fake return addresses in case something goes awry. Using a real fake address - yours - would prevent it from being flagged, if the P.O. does that. I would hand it over to the post office, telling them you never sent it, & leave it at that. That way if there is some sort of organized criminal activity & they get busted, you have cleared yourself.
you watch far too much TV LOL
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
If it was a fraudulent check it wouldn't clear, if fraudulent who would they send it to ?
short sighted, scams like this don't operate like that.
Unread 04-16-2024, 06:30 AM
Default jacksonla

Another warning.......My husband found a deposit in our bank account from Zelle for $38.00, last week. Then he gets an email saying, oops I sent that money to the wrong person, please return to me. He went to the bank and they said it was a scam to get his info, and they sent it back to the scammer for him.
Unread 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Default Electronic deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
We only deposit checks online now. For the back we have a stamp that says "For Electronic Deposit Only" Doesn't even name the bank it was deposited into, and no account info.
Unread 04-16-2024, 07:10 AM

Call Post Office! Postal inspector will investigate!!! And trace it!!!!!
Unread 04-16-2024, 07:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,560 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAugustine View Post

Best
Just throw it away if it’s not yours

Tags
postage, returned, address, scam, received

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.