Should we sell all our furniture?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:16 PM
gomoho's Avatar
gomoho gomoho is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,341
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I agree - keep what you love and don't worry about incorporating pieces you love into your Florida lifestyle. Unless you want everything to look like so many Florida homes all pastel and bland bring your stuff and show off your style.
  #17  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

We moved from Bel Air, Maryland in 2011 to a new courtyard villa. With going from a 2200 SF two story home to a 1200 SF villa, we figured we would buy most things new here. We kept the lanai furniture since we had purchased it new in 2008 when we enclosed our deck. We also kept our M/BR set since we had also bought it a couple of years earlier. All of the wall decorations and paintings we kept since they are expensive to replace.

We sold our home to the first couple to be shown our home, it was only on the market for 12 hours. We told the buyers about the furniture and what we wanted to keep and they bought the rest for $2,500. I had gotten some estimates and figured it would cost us $6,000 to move everything, plus we had too much. As it turned out, we had 72 boxes and the M/BR and lanai furniture moved by United Van Lines for $2700. Actually they were 3 weeks late in delivering the furniture to our new home in TV, so we filed a claim and got a refund check for $2,000 within 5 days. We had to pay the driver $2,700 upon delivery but like I said, the refund was very quick in coming.

We bought a guest BR set, a dinette, and 3 bar stools from Southern Lifetstyles in TV, that location is now a City Furniture. We bought a power love set and two recliners from Kane Furniture in Ocala, a desk from Staples, a Vizio 60" LED TV and a 42" Samsung TV from Sam's Club. That was about all we needed.

We had inside our house painted the day after we closed by Investment Painters, so when the movers arrived that would be out of the way. We got estimates from a couple of landscapers. Got a sun shade for the Lanai from RK Shades. Shopped for golf carts and put an order in for a new Yamaha. Had Tim 'The Toolman' handyman double shelf our master closet, put hand pulls on the kitchen cabinets, install attic steps in the garage, etc. The three weeks we were living here without any furniture and slept on an air mattress allowed us to get a lot of work out of the way.
  #18  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM
deestatham
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Everyone's comments have been SO helpful! Thanks so much. It all makes such good sense, especially from a monetary standpoint. This was the way were leaning and now I KNOW it is the right thing to do. Thanks to all of you.
  #19  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM
deestatham
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We moved from Bel Air, Maryland in 2011 to a new courtyard villa. With going from a 2200 SF two story home to a 1200 SF villa, we figured we would buy most things new here. We kept the lanai furniture since we had purchased it new in 2008 when we enclosed our deck. We also kept our M/BR set since we had also bought it a couple of years earlier. All of the wall decorations and paintings we kept since they are expensive to replace.

We sold our home to the first couple to be shown our home, it was only on the market for 12 hours. We told the buyers about the furniture and what we wanted to keep and they bought the rest for $2,500. I had gotten some estimates and figured it would cost us $6,000 to move everything, plus we had too much. As it turned out, we had 72 boxes and the M/BR and lanai furniture moved by United Van Lines for $2700. Actually they were 3 weeks late in delivering the furniture to our new home in TV, so we filed a claim and got a refund check for $2,000 within 5 days. We had to pay the driver $2,700 upon delivery but like I said, the refund was very quick in coming.

We bought a guest BR set, a dinette, and 3 bar stools from Southern Lifetstyles in TV, that location is now a City Furniture. We bought a power love set and two recliners from Kane Furniture in Ocala, a desk from Staples, a Vizio 60" LED TV and a 42" Samsung TV from Sam's Club. That was about all we needed.

We had inside our house painted the day after we closed by Investment Painters, so when the movers arrived that would be out of the way. We got estimates from a couple of landscapers. Got a sun shade for the Lanai from RK Shades. Shopped for golf carts and put an order in for a new Yamaha. Had Tim 'The Toolman' handyman double shelf our master closet, put hand pulls on the kitchen cabinets, install attic steps in the garage, etc. The three weeks we were living here without any furniture and slept on an air mattress allowed us to get a lot of work out of the way.
John:

You said you moved from Belair, Maryland - we are in Monkton, Maryland - just a short distance from Belair! Loved your reply. Really helped, especially coming from someone so close to home. Hope you are enjoying life in the TV. With any luck, we'll be there by Christmas. Sure hope our house sells quickly.
  #20  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:47 PM
jnieman jnieman is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,260
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Smile

Since you are renting for a year you really won't know if your old furniture will fit in your new home unfortunately. With the cost of moving the furniture and storing the furniture for a year I personally would sell it. There are plenty of furniture stores here as well as several furniture consignment shops where you can purchase more. Also TOTV has lots of classifieds with furniture for sale. I like the dark wood in our Florida home. I find it more comfortable than the Florida style furniture. I decorated in cremes, rusts and browns, but I also love looking at the Florida style furniture.
  #21  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:51 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 3,038
Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,019 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Sell, Sell, Sell.....don't bring any of it with you!
We got rid of 2 vehicle's and all furniture with the exception of a tv cabinet, our tv's and kitchen utensil's. We bought our home furnished and the furniture was perfect; we wouldn't have been happy with our furniture if we had brought it.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #22  
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
John:
You said you moved from Belair, Maryland - we are in Monkton, Maryland - just a short distance from Belair! Loved your reply. Really helped, especially coming from someone so close to home. Hope you are enjoying life in the TV. With any luck, we'll be there by Christmas. Sure hope our house sells quickly.
Being that you're from Monkton the one thing you'll miss most, besides crabs and crab cakes, will be Wegmans. We actually sold our home to the new Wegmans manager in Bel Air, we lived two blocks from the store. We watched Wegmans get built as well as the Route 24 overpass and then had to leave before we could shop there or use the new road. I also miss seeing the O's games on TV, however the Ravens we haven't missed a game since we have NFL Sunday Ticket with Directv. I think we'll go to Sarasota in March to see an Orioles spring training game.
  #23  
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,697
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I used to work with a guy that told me when a moving truck pulled into his neighborhood and started unloading he could tell by the furniture if they came from up north..........all dark drab colors.
__________________
Les
  #24  
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 164
Thanked 642 Times in 222 Posts
Default

What we weren't going to use here in The Villages, we gave to the kids or sold it before moving. The used furniture market here isn't any better than where you are. What we did bring I rented a truck and drove it here myself and paid a couple of guys to unload it. Not everyone can or will want to do it that way. And as previously stated it is very expensive to pay a moving company. The money you make selling things up north, and save by not paying to a mover will go a long way towards furnishing your new home here. After years of working towards retirement, treat yourself to new furniture. You have earned it!!! Good Luck!
  #25  
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

///
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #26  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
deestatham
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Being that you're from Monkton the one thing you'll miss most, besides crabs and crab cakes, will be Wegmans. We actually sold our home to the new Wegmans manager in Bel Air, we lived two blocks from the store. We watched Wegmans get built as well as the Route 24 overpass and then had to leave before we could shop there or use the new road. I also miss seeing the O's games on TV, however the Ravens we haven't missed a game since we have NFL Sunday Ticket with Directv. I think we'll go to Sarasota in March to see an Orioles spring training game.
You just made by husband's day when you said you have Direct TV. This is major to him. Sports are his thing! And we have Direct TV here - he was worried that he wouldn't have it there. You were lucky to sell so fast. I hope we are that lucky. I have a real estate license (don't practice much anymore) and I know that if a house is priced correctly it WILL sell. Looking forward to the move but right now the stress is killing us! We've been in this house 34 years.
  #27  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM
applesoffh applesoffh is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 609
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We got rid of almost everything and bought new when we moved. I brought down stuff I thought I would use and now, after 3 years here, say to myself "what was I thinking?" every week. I never use my "good" china - never, and as beautiful as it is, and for all its sentimental value, it has no resale value. We have found entertaining down here to be much less formal, so if you have "fancy" stuff - think twice.
  #28  
Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Keep what you love and has meaning to you and sell, give to family, donate or whatever, the rest.
You will regret not keeping many of your things.

Your new home should be a reflection of YOU, and not of living in Florida.
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #29  
Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM
xcaligirl xcaligirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 350
Thanks: 693
Thanked 119 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Wish we would've sold everything! We brought our bedroom set and our dinette set from California and there is not one piece that is not damaged by the movers. I vote for SELL!
  #30  
Old 02-03-2015, 08:49 AM
pbkmaine's Avatar
pbkmaine pbkmaine is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I like my furniture but brought too much and it cost a fortune to move. Bring only what you love and keep it to a minimum.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.