Villages - buying north of 440

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.
Default Villages - buying north of 440

This may prossibly upset some people, but I would like to get your feelings about it. We have been advised by a number of people who live in TV, not to buy a home north of Rte. 440 when we come down to buy in November. We've heard a number of comments that I will not repeat, but what is truth and what is perception? Please don't shoot the messenger (Questioner).
Thanks
John & Barb
Cherry Hill -- Villages by 12/15
Old 10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

When we bought our home this summer, we bought south of 466 because we bought a new home. While we were in the buying process, we checked out north of 466 and liked it very much. It was more established and had a "familiar" feel to us. If we didn't go new, I would have had no problem living there. In my opinion, and my knowledge of TV is limited at best, I don't think you can buy in an area of TV that wouldn't be wonderful.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:36 PM

I don't know what you mean by Rt. 440. Do you think it could be Rt. 44?

Or do you think it was Rt. 466? I really don't know of Rt. 440.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

My guess is they mean 441 and it would be North East. That is what is known as the historic section which has a mix of stick built and factory built homes. However there are some very nice places of both types and some very nice locations there at very attractive prices. So you need to buy what fits your budget and life style. And as said above, there are no bad places in TV. I chose my location based on the town square I preferred, not near a treatment plant, power lines or rail road tracks. And i liked LSL better then SS. To me those were more important then what section, N or S of any place.

If I was looking for a place in TV that I wanted to keep in a lower price range and didn't care about being near LSL, I would have been looking in the historic section. It has a lot of positive things to offer.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Don't really think it matters which Hwy the poster meant. We bought south of 466 over 4 years ago because we bought new. We still love our location and at first thought it was superior to everyone else's

With repeated visits (we have been snowflakes/landlords) have discovered that every area, north or south, east or west, has its advantages and disadvantages. There really is no BAD area. Wherever you end up, you will probably think that yours is the best, and it will be for certain things (close to shopping, or softball diamonds, libraries, or town squares, dog parks, Savannah Center, quieter with less traffic, other shopping areas, woodshop, driving range, favorite country club restaurant or golf course).

Older areas have more mature landscaping, larger lots. New areas may have a higher concentration of younger buyers, but not always. In each area, you could be within walking distance or a 3 minute cart ride to a rec center and/or family or adult pool or country club, or you could be out of easy walking distance to anything and need to take your cart or car. Some people never walk anywhere, even if they are around the corner. You will be close to a golf course no matter where you end up.

If you have close friends or family you expect to be visiting a lot, then you may not want to be at opposite ends which would be a 45 minute (or possibly more) cart ride. But it's kind of fun to visit someone occasionally in an area you don't get to very often.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Gold member
Default north

If you mean north of 446 , can't imagine why someone would say negative things about living there. We bought north of there and are very happy with the location. Everything is well established, same facilities as south of 446. Yes, they are older, but new doesn't always mean better. There are lots of trees over here, close to many stores, plenty of Rec centers, pools, golf courses, what more could you want? Everywhere in The Villages is a nice place to live !
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Gold member

I'm sure this is a generality but probably the ages of people that live in the historic section are older because it's been there longer. I have good friends who live there and she is very defensive when people "bad mouth" the historic section. When we moved here 5 years ago we were very interested in a manufactured home in the historic district that had a lot of storage, was wonderfully maintained, and had great landscaping. However we felt the price was a little high and we continued to look after taking 3 visits to this home. As an aside, on the 3rd visit we noticed that the home had no oven (which was not a deal breaker for us). We kept looking and purchased in Poinciana but if our experience is typical regarding the historic side I would not eliminate a purchase there.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyjohn View Post
This may prossibly upset some people, but I would like to get your feelings about it. We have been advised by a number of people who live in TV, not to buy a home north of Rte. 440 when we come down to buy in November. We've heard a number of comments that I will not repeat, but what is truth and what is perception? Please don't shoot the messenger (Questioner).
Thanks
John & Barb
If you are speaking about north of CR 466, try Polo Ridge. Great neighborhood, close to shopping, golf, rec centers, etc. We moved from there just for a larger home. Plus we build a home every ten years. Don't ask me why but we do. You will enjoy north of 466.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Another one who doesn't think it matters where you live -- it really is a matter of price, affordability and preference. I have issues with a lot of rules and regulations (I would never have gnomes or flamingoes in my yard but I'll defend your right to have to the death), so south of 466 is not for me. Also, I like Spanish Springs better than Lake Sumter Landing (probably because I'm more used to the Spanish decor coming from California). The biggest reason though, is the more mature landscaping. I just find it soothing and don't want to wait years to have that growth.

To me, the only real negative to living north of 441 is the distance to the southern areas of TV, especially since I've been known to travel from one of TV to the other in one or day. So, I chose just north of 466 off of Morse.

So, go for what you like. While a new neighborhood will make it easier to make friends at first (and have more frequent get-togethers), the odds are you will end up making other friends as you find your interests and you'll find they live all over TV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Founder

I think the women north of 466 are better looking.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Better looking?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
OH NO THEY AREN"T!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Nope. Nope. Not gonna touch that one. Nope
Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.
Default I really meant 466 sorry

Brain Cramp
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyjohn View Post
Thanks
John & Barb
Hi Rugbyjohn,
We bought north of 466 because of the mature landscaping, the homes further apart, and our favorite golf courses and country clubs are on the north side. We enjoy both town squares. If you want new, north of 466 is not an option.

I'm curious what you were told. Whatever it was, check it out for yourself. Whatever you choose, I hope it's perfect for you!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salybow View Post
oh no they aren"t!!!!!!!
says who!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.