Why do so many people coat their garages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2022, 08:59 AM

Also many have their washer and dryer in the garage, so having a finished floor makes it nice to do laundry.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:59 AM

Most garage floors in my Massachusetts neighborhood were epoxy coated. It cleans up the salt and dirt well. Paint chips (double recommended) keep it from getting slippery. Better question: Why is the quality of many concrete floors so bad in Massachusetts?
Old 09-25-2022, 09:02 AM
Send a message via AIM to SBerson1948
Default Water would have pooled even without the Epoxy coating. Ours is coated in NJ and TV.

[QUOTE=kitnhead;2139673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks[/QUOTE

There was a coated floor at our rental home when we first moved to TV. It rained and the water from the car pooled in the garage. We both slipped and nearly fell on our behinds. We are younger (in Villages terms) so thankfully this was not serious, but I believe it would have been very injurious to an older individual. Once we experienced that, we decided it was a truly unnecessary expense.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:06 AM
Default Epoxy flooring

Quote:
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks
Epoxy floors are more than great looking:
Very easy to keep clean.
Water proof.
Non-slip surface.
Enhances the value of ones home.
We coated our garage and Lanai floors and receive endless compliments.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:09 AM
Default Epoxy garage floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
who did you hire?
Who did we hire? ..... Me, of DeSoto.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:33 AM
Default drive and garage treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is no reason for me to coat my garage or my driveway. I like the bare concrete.
I grew up north snow ice and SALT...are tuff on coatings here in the villages no snow salt or ice......but after 3 years i found bare concrete is porous....it holds dirt and stains....treated concrete i found is easier to take care of...looks good and i believe adds value.......

is it mandatory NO....but i like it!
Old 09-25-2022, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,426 Times in 4,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Retirees in The Villages have a lot of money saved up and like to spend it in ways that create impressions for their neighbors to see. This is the reason.
Nice to know that you know what people are thinking...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-25-2022, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,734 Times in 3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Smiley View Post
Three things I would never buy to upgrade home: 1)solar tube, 2)plantation shutters, and 3)sealed/painted garage floor.
Sold single-family home and bought home with solar tube in kitchen, plantation shutters, and sealed/painted garage floor.
To quote the Monkeys, "I'm a believer!" I would add them to next home if we would move.
Our bathroom had a sunroof in it already (we bought pre-owned), and I absolutely LOVE it. I'd love one in the kitchen.

We don't have a garage, we have a carport. The entire driveway including the carport surface is painted a pale grey-blue to coordinate with the house (it's not a perfect match but it doesn't clash either). It protects the concrete from the sun and other weather conditions.

Why so horrible in Massachusetts? Shoveling, equipment being brought in and out (lawn mowers etc), and salt from the tires of your car in the winter.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=kitnhead;2139673]
Quote:
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks[/QUOTE

There was a coated floor at our rental home when we first moved to TV. It rained and the water from the car pooled in the garage. We both slipped and nearly fell on our behinds. We are younger (in Villages terms) so thankfully this was not serious, but I believe it would have been very injurious to an older individual. Once we experienced that, we decided it was a truly unnecessary expense.
Properly done the coated garage floor and driveway are NOT slippery when wet. Too many people do their own or use a contractor who doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:33 PM
Default Polyaspartic coating

[QUOTE=kitnhead;2139673]
Quote:

I had an epoxy paint put down, with a polyaspartic coating over it. It is not slick when wet and looks great! Granite Floors Inc, from Orlando.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks

My opinion: Coating makes the floor more slippery.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
My opinion: Coating makes the floor more slippery.
Yes, when not done correctly.....
Old 09-26-2022, 07:19 AM

Cannot do it up north! Road salt and chemicals are killer. See then all the benefits including aesthetics.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:57 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Location: We are located in Summerfield FL and run from home based business (Until we find a Store Front.)
Default Why coat your Garage floor?

1. Improved Appearance, your home is a showcase of you so why not add to the showcase with a beautiful garage floor.
2. Protection of the concrete, concrete is susceptible to staining and wont be able to be cleaned. Coating your garage floor makes for easy maintenance!
3. The coating will protect the concrete from damage. if you drop things the coating will take the brunt of the impact and usually the concrete wont crumble or chip underneath it.
4. A coated garage floor will give great curb appeal when the garage door is open and can increase the value of the home!
5. Helps keeps the garage looking tidy. thus making you feel good when walking through your garage!
6. Who doesn't love a finished garage floor..... it will always make you smile, especially when its been done By Innovative Concrete Coating

https://innovativeconcretecoatings.c...loor-coatings/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100083896917735
Old 09-26-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
I think it is becoming more common everywhere. I recall roughly ten years ago the place where I was getting my car serviced had his entire service section done.

Like everything else endless debate. We had ours done when we bought our then new home. It was done almost 10 years ago and still looks new. Far easier to have done or do yourself before all your junk is in the gargage. Far easier to keep clean. We have a gas golf cart. People with electric carts if they spill acid on the floor, it will damage the paint. The paint is epoxy BUT the clear coat on top is ????? polyurathane and can be damaged. It is not epoxy, I think because epoxy turns yellow.

We did not. You can add a grit to the top coat to prevent slipping. When you spill oil on the floor it is really slippery. I would expect adding the grit makes it more difficult to clean.
Closed Thread

Tags
appearance, fla, reason, assume, mass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.