The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse - Page 3 - Talk of The Villages Florida

The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse

Reply
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-26-2026, 08:23 AM
wisbad1 wisbad1 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 664
Thanks: 3,389
Thanked 585 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
If society collapses, the place you don't want to be is a densely populated mega-city. Central FL would fare much better than NYC. Here you have people who would help each other, there you have people who don't even know their neighbors.

Wherever you are, you'd better have guns and lots of ammo. And fresh water. Nobody is going to be trading with cash or gold, so maybe something others would want, which you could guess but would be hard to predict, other than more ammo.

Older people are not going to fare well in general, so be at peace with the good life you have lived, and hope you can hang on until things improve. Get in shape NOW if you're not already; by then it will be too late.
Just hope that I can bend far enough to kiss my butt goodbye!
  #32  
Old 09-26-2026, 10:23 AM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,846
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

The fact that this subject is relatively popular (3 pages worth) tells me that these end-of-the-world scenarios have many people WORRIED. Many Sci/Fi movies have been made for years with the theme of total human destruction. Science Fiction is rapidly becoming Science Fact as far as A.I. and rapid innovation and change. I have noticed a large change in what would seem unimportant at first.......colors of suits and clothes worn by men and women.....also automobile colors. In the 50's and 60's cars were BRIGHT colors and now today cars and people's clothes are VERY dark with a lot of black cars. In my opinion these color changes and the increase in "end of world" disaster movies have a relationship. I wonder if any psychologists have written on this subject?
  #33  
Old 10-01-2026, 08:03 PM
TheVillageGlossator's Avatar
TheVillageGlossator TheVillageGlossator is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 33
Thanks: 22
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
do you have a plan b? Those states and missile silos are counterstrike options numbers 1,2,3, By our enemies.
The subject was about societal collapse, slow and gradual, not nuclear armageddon. The author stated his case right at the beginning.
“ When we speak of the end of the world as we know it, we usually imagine spectacular explosions: nuclear bombs, killer pandemics, cyber attacks that extinguish the lights in an instant. But history teaches us that civilizations more often die in whispers, through gradual erosion, through the accumulation of micro-failures that, on a certain morning, transform into catastrophic system failure.”
  #34  
Old 10-01-2026, 08:35 PM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,059
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,176 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
....also automobile colors. In the 50's and 60's cars were BRIGHT colors and now today cars are VERY dark with a lot of black cars.
Not around here there not, white rules.
  #35  
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
SaucyJim SaucyJim is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 268
Thanks: 262
Thanked 302 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
An interesting article on the collapse of society.

Unfortunately, Florida is on the list.

My favorite quote “Now we have algorithms. Algorithms don’t eat, but they also don’t care if you do.”


The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse
"The 2026 hurricane season, according to NOAA’s forecast, is expected to be “extremely active,” with eight to ten major hurricanes predicted."

How'd that prediction work out for ya? First year this far without a named Atlantic storm in several decades. Doom and gloom sell. I'll stick to my apocalyptic movies, yo.

As former prepper who lived on a mountainside above Casper, WY through the depths of Covid, I've decided to live my life as opposed to "living" hunkered down in a hole. And when the time comes, I have the resources available to me so that I, my wife, and my dogs can cross the Rainbow Bridge together. No suffering. No Facebook posts to announce it. Just... gone.
  #36  
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
bowlingal bowlingal is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,024 Times in 561 Posts
Default

way too much gloom and doom.
  #37  
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
airstreamingypsy airstreamingypsy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 7,249
Thanked 1,457 Times in 722 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Interesting take, for sure.

There've been numerous media depicting the results of a full-on nuclear exchange, much of it of the science fiction genre. One that wasn't, and one of the best in my opinion, was The Day After, a made-for-TV movie back in 1983. I only saw it the one time but it was, in a word, stark. It involved what were presented as real people, living real day-to-day lives, and how everything changed for them in a figurative heartbeat. I suppose one could dig it up online. It had an additional unplanned effect. Apparently the network broadcasting it ended up arranging counseling for some people who were traumatized by it.

Another interesting take was the book that came out about the same time, "Down to a Sunless Sea" by David Graham. The setting is a 747 at 100% occupancy and what happens when nuclear war breaks out while enroute. It is pretty dated now as it reflects the political and environmental situation of the 1980s, but still a great read.
The scariest book I've ever read is, "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute. I read it as a teenager and still get the willies just thinking about it.
__________________
_____________________
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... let's go exploring!"
  #38  
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,846
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Not around here there not, white rules.
Please re-read my reply because it started with the fact that in the 50's US people were wearing colorful clothes. Today on TV you have most-all the news people (men and women) wearing Black. Also people walking around The Villages are wearing BLACK even though it makes them MORE LIKELY to be hit by vehicles. And Yes, white is a smart and popular color for vehicles in Florida, but I am surprised by how many BLACK vehicles you see....and not all have out of state license plates on them.
  #39  
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,846
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyJim View Post
"The 2026 hurricane season, according to NOAA’s forecast, is expected to be “extremely active,” with eight to ten major hurricanes predicted."

How'd that prediction work out for ya? First year this far without a named Atlantic storm in several decades. Doom and gloom sell. I'll stick to my apocalyptic movies, yo.

As former prepper who lived on a mountainside above Casper, WY through the depths of Covid, I've decided to live my life as opposed to "living" hunkered down in a hole. And when the time comes, I have the resources available to me so that I, my wife, and my dogs can cross the Rainbow Bridge together. No suffering. No Facebook posts to announce it. Just... gone.
I for one do NOT make a plan for the "end of the world". If it happens I might get evaporated by an H-bomb. If it happens and I am alive....then and only then will I make plans.
  #40  
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
airstreamingypsy airstreamingypsy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 7,249
Thanked 1,457 Times in 722 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Please re-read my reply because it started with the fact that in the 50's US people were wearing colorful clothes. Today on TV you have most-all the news people (men and women) wearing Black. Also people walking around The Villages are wearing BLACK even though it makes them MORE LIKELY to be hit by vehicles. And Yes, white is a smart and popular color for vehicles in Florida, but I am surprised by how many BLACK vehicles you see....and not all have out of state license plates on them.
Just a thought, I bought a black used car, simply because the dealer practically gave it to me. It was a black diesel Mercedes... not a desirable car for Villagers. Every time I stood up to leave they knocked another $1,000.00 off the price. They were so low I found myself with a black diesel Mercedes.
__________________
_____________________
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... let's go exploring!"
  #41  
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,846
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Just a thought, I bought a black used car, simply because the dealer practically gave it to me. It was a black diesel Mercedes... not a desirable car for Villagers. Every time I stood up to leave they knocked another $1,000.00 off the price. They were so low I found myself with a black diesel Mercedes.
I owned a diesel Mercedes 25 years ago. The US and Florida population was MUCH less than today and pollution linked Planet Warming wan NOT a thing then. MB Diesels are practically indestructible and will help their passengers survive in a crash due to good construction and sheer mass. They have downsides such as noise (which bothers some people) and cost per gallon, but gas is also high. Diesel also gets better mileage, so that evens out. It depends on the person and how they feel about what is causing the KNOWN world temperature and melting glaciers increase. I would prefer that the world moved toward electric vehicles and renewable energy, but here locally, I am in the minority. As far as the 5 places that you don't want to be......I might worry about that if I were age 40 or less.
  #42  
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
airstreamingypsy airstreamingypsy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 7,249
Thanked 1,457 Times in 722 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I owned a diesel Mercedes 25 years ago. The US and Florida population was MUCH less than today and pollution linked Planet Warming wan NOT a thing then. MB Diesels are practically indestructible and will help their passengers survive in a crash due to good construction and sheer mass. They have downsides such as noise (which bothers some people) and cost per gallon, but gas is also high. Diesel also gets better mileage, so that evens out. It depends on the person and how they feel about what is causing the KNOWN world temperature and melting glaciers increase. I would prefer that the world moved toward electric vehicles and renewable energy, but here locally, I am in the minority. As far as the 5 places that you don't want to be......I might worry about that if I were age 40 or less.
>

My first diesel Mercedes was in a flood at my house, in Connecticut in 1978, so I got another one... a 1978 300D. I drove it for 20 years, just changed the oil and brake pads. Sold it to a friend, it was still so good. Wasn't so lucky with the black one I wrote about, it got oil leaks everywhere..... I couldn't put oil in it fast enough. Drive a gas one now, same ML as the black one, but not diesel. That said, my next car will be an EV.
__________________
_____________________
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... let's go exploring!"
  #43  
Old Today, 07:00 AM
MorTech MorTech is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 716 Times in 450 Posts
Default

I'm going to move to a Pacific island and chase young native women around whilst y'all eat each other
  #44  
Old Today, 07:32 AM
Wayne357 Wayne357 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2025
Posts: 1
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default He is knocking. Will you answer the door?

We are in the very last days/end of times according to the Holy Bible's prophecies concerning the days we are living in. The ones who have accepted Jesus Christ's gift of salvation from His shed blood on Calvary cross won't be here for what the Bible says will be the worst times the earth has seen or will ever see. This is my escape route along with millions of others. 1Thessalonians Chapter 4, verses 16 and 17 .
  #45  
Old Today, 08:17 AM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
An interesting article on the collapse of society.

Unfortunately, Florida is on the list.

My favorite quote “Now we have algorithms. Algorithms don’t eat, but they also don’t care if you do.”


The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse
My last goal in life is to live somewhere where I won't know or care when the SHTF. Remote living, self reliant, no people. Think Dick Proenneke.
Reply

Tags
don’t, collapse, algorithms, society, “now


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.