Am I Understanding The Situation Correctly?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Default Re: Am I Understanding The Situation Correctly?

So I assume we should not complain when our soldiers are tortured since some on this Board seem to think it is the right thing to do. It doesn't feel "right" to me and feeling "right" is what made proud Americans and the world respect us. Not doing the same as terrorists would do. IMHO.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Gold member

What's even more laughable is Senator Kennedy's objection to the waterboarding. The man is a joke and a buffoon. How he gets consistenty reelected is amazing. Must be something in the water in Massachusetts. And they say don't drink the kool-aid in TV. Ha!!!
We need to keep the big picture in mind and that is to keep our country safe and to honor and enable the men and women in the military who are working so hard, for us all, to accomplish that very thing. I think of them every day. I have given up watching the networks news because they are not "reporting" the real news about the conflict just the slanted view they want us to hear. Talk to any returning soldier and you will get a whole new perspective, the real story.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Hmm...

War of 1812; Civil War; Spanish-American War; WWI; WWII; Korea; Vietnam; Gulf I; Gulf II; Iraq; Afghanistan; Panama; Grenada; Somalia; Haiti; all of the other wars/battles/actions in between; Impeachments of Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton; Resignation of President Nixon and Vice President Agnew; Assassinations of Presidents Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley and John Kennedy; Attempted Assassinations of Presidents Andrew Jackson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan; the Great Depression of the early 1930's; the Cuban Missile Crisis; Earthquakes of San Francisco and Anchorage; Hurricanes Andrew, Hugo, Charley and Katrina; Pearl Harbor; 9/11 and so many other possible llistings.

Maybe some have little faith in the resiliency of this nation and its ability to recover from the worst that nature and man can throw at it. Well, we've done it before and we'll do it again.

I'll keep the type of government structure we have, thank you. I don't want any type of dictator, benevolent or otherwise. What we have WORKS, and it's best demonstrated by how many folk will move mountains and take any risk to be within our borders.

Is it perfect? No, but what is? Many of the complaints probably were sounded dozens of times in the last 230 years since the Constitution came to be, and the country has survived. We'll get through whatever 'this' is as well, probably in spite of ourselves, but definitely due to the wisdom of the Founding Fathers.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Sage

Great post Steve - I think it keeps our history and current state in perspective. Wel written!

FYI: I'm from MA and i NEVER vote for Sen. Kennedy but that doesn't seem to stop him. I guess we need all sides represented and he is certainly on ONE side!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Sage
Default Great Reply Steve

I started this post, attempting to express my frustration in a non-partisan manner. What I missed, or didn't emphasize enough, was exactly what Steve pointed out.

My frustrations are temporary in the grand scheme of things. Our democratic ship of state changes course very, very slowly. But it will change course! What's is amazing is how comprehensive the framers of our Constitution were in assuring that would happen.

What I was attempting to express was my short-term frustration with the political sitaution in Washington. I agree that our form of democracy is best. There is a condition that I'd add...that everyone participate in voting for the representatives who we think will best govern in the way we'd desire. I am a little concerned that our younger generations are either too busy with other things or have simply given up on the sad morass in Washington. Without everyone's involvement, the democratic structure can be weakened.

But our Constitutional form of democracy does provide the structure for the people's wishes to be represented in the governance of the country. I just wish it would happen a little faster.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

I agree with you Kahuna but wish money didn't play such an immensely strong part.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
EYANKOWSKI

IF I WAS DRIVING THAT CAR INSTEAD OF KENNEDY I'D STILL BE IN JAIL

Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 AM

Had occasion to watch "The War" a few nights ago. The segment was highlighting the "Battle of the Bulge". What the troops went through there was mind boggling. The casualties ran in the 10's of thousands PER MONTH as I recall. Wonder if this country would have the stomach for such a conflict today? Think of the other theatre's in the Pacific, Normandy beaches, etc.. What about Truman's decision to use "The Bomb". All took real guts by everyone involved.

Today this country is completely emasculated. Hell, our industrial complex couldn't even mount a real war effort if we tried, we'd have to get all our supplies from China. Face it folks, we've been sold out and most people (younger than us) haven't figured it out yet.
The "hay-day" is behind us I fear.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Captain, I've had the same thoughts many times. Our manufacturing industry is nearly down to the car companies, and the media and lots of politicians find fault with the US actions in conflicts, and sympathize with the enemy's. If we had todays political climate and today's media with it's stars ex. Katie Couric, Matt Lauer etc., we would be speaking Japanese or German if we were still alive. Most US citizens don't realize that we, the Germans and the Japanese killed POWs because there were no other choices. The soldiers to guard POWs, food, medical,and clothing supplies were all desperately needed to fight the war. When the Germans surrendered during the Bulge, a lot of them were executed by GIs. I'm not condoning what happened in WWII. War is ugly beyond belief. But the public outrage over stupid acts like Abu Ghraib makes you wonder.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.