Attic Fans - are they worthwhile?

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Attic Fans - are they worthwhile?

The contractor who installed a dark shingle roof on my home suggested the installation of an attic fan for $285. It vents through the roof, pumps about 1200 cfm and supplements the convective air movement of the soffets and ridge vents. He said he sets the thermostat so it kicks on at 105 degrees and will lower the garage temperature by about 15 degrees.

So, does anyone have any experience to indicate whether these attic fans are worthwhile or not?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Attic Fans - are they worthwhile?

I just had this installed about a month ago in my home and it makes a big difference in the temperature in the garage,it was well worth the price.
I have the same style home as you with the golf cart garage.
I also had vents installed on main garage door.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Sage

Why not start at 95 and lower the temp to 80 - 85?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
Why not start at 95 and lower the temp to 80 - 85?
My answer if you are serious:* The manufacturer's default setting for the thermostat is 110.* The installer changes it to 105 because he feels it gets the garage temp down a couple more degrees.* Setting it much lower than that likely makes the fan run almost all the time without any signifcant temperature reduction in the garage. This assumes the uninsulated garage heats up to a temp higher than the ambient air. For example, my existing closed garage temp gets up to about 110 in the afternoons when its only 88 outside. Garage insulation and/or an attic fan will apparently help those who don't want to leave their garage door open a lot.

My answer if you are joking:* I prefer the temperature at 72 in the garage, so I think I'll lower the durn attic fan thermo to 87. (When it's 97 degrees outside)*

This is why when I think of not AC'ing the garage I remind myself that no matter how much (outside) air is circulating through the attic or through the garage, the garage will never be cooler than the outside air. I remind myself of the 97 degree afternoons.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Gold member

We had The Solar Guys install a solar attic fan on our house; there is no wiring to this type of fan, instead running whenever the sun hits the solar panel which is mounted on the outside casing of the fan. We have not had it long enough in TV to know how it works, but Ive had attic fans in every house I've owned and they do a great job moving the outside air through the attic. Even when it's hot outside, the stationary air in the attic would get much hotter if not for the fan sucking in the relatively cooler outside air, hot as it may be. I have no idea how our attic fan will affect the temperature in the garage; that'll be interesting to find out.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:01 AM
Sage

We have automatic attic fans installed at our summer home that are set at 90. They probably run all day in the summer but also probably keep the temperature down below 110 on most days which should keep the adjacent rooms a bit cooler.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Send a message via ICQ to tankdvr1950

Sidney.....what did they charge you for the solar fan and installation???
Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Attic Fans

I had one in my previous home and loved it, I used it all the time.
I think the price they quoted you is very reasonable.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Gold member

If it lowers the temperature of the garage by 15 degrees, it must also make a sizeable reduction in the cost to air condition the house.

When talking to one of the solar fan distributors, I asked him why should I pay so much more for a solar unit than a wired unit. He claimed that the cost to operate a wired unit was quite high and quoted me a figure (which I now forget) which would indicate that the solar unit would pay for itself in just a year or two. My gut tells me that his figures for operational costs for wired units were a bit exaggerated but I can't prove it.

One thing that I didn't like about the solar type that I was looking at was that it runs whenever the sun is shining (there was no thermostatic override). This means that in the winter when you may want the attic to be warmer to keep the house warm, you are still expelling the warm air all day long.

I will be looking into installing a wired unit when we get down there full time. Can anyone recommend someone who does this for a reasonable price?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Lanier View Post
We had The Solar Guys install a solar attic fan. Even when it's hot outside, the stationary air in the attic would get much hotter if not for the fan sucking in the relatively cooler outside air, hot as it may be. I have no idea how our attic fan will affect the temperature in the garage; that'll be interesting to find out.
This is probably a stupid question. But I'm a girl, so the answer isn't obvious to me. If you're not in TV during the summer months, why do you care how hot it gets in the attic or the garage?

We have a humidistat which means our air conditioning costs are peanuts per month. I'm just wondering why an attic fan is such a benefit.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,511 Times in 1,911 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Bare. We were thinking about having a humidistat installed and ran out of time. Did you do it yourself?? Sweetie thinks he can do it and probably can. He wired another outlet in the garage for a nifty pull out ironing board.

How much did it affect your bill?

We had low, low bills last summer by just setting the air conditioner on 83. I was shocked...and we did not use the air conditioner much at all from January to end of April when we left. They build these houses so nicely to get cross draft and the breeze is always blowing. I love to have the windows open. (But Helene is always sneezing.....(That is a sad avatar)
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage

We will be storing stuff (99% my wife's) in the large attic over the garage - keeping it cooler, even when we aren't around, is a good thing.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 PM

I would not be without Attic Fans here in the South. I had them in the Home I lived in The Villages and also have them in my home here in Georgia. I have never had the Solar Type just the Regular Electric ones and they ar great. It is great especially if you are going to store some things in the Attic. Mine are set to go on at 100degrees. I think the prices that are being quoted are very reasonable.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

I had "the solar guys" (they advertise here) install a solar attic fan on our house in December, so we will not know the true saving till the summer is over. They also installed a solar tube at the same time. They were very helpful and did a excellent job.

I went with solar because in our home up north I had a wired attic fan and had ongoing issues post warranty. The motor burnt out and created a short, I had to get an electrician to trouble shoot the problem. The installer had used the same line as a in house circuit, and the breaker kept tripping.

With Solar if the unit ever fails you can't effect you home wiring. I prefer the solar unit because their are less things that can go wrong in the future.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Gold member

This very well may have changed since we looked at attic fans several years ago, but we learned that solar fans don't move as much air as electric. The solar motors (at that time) weren't as strong as electric. We liked the obvious benefits of the solar fans though. I'm not sure what the requirements are in FL, but maybe something to consider.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.