Little Orange Tree - this year's harvest

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum member
Default Little Orange Tree - this year's harvest

My little orange tree - this year's harvest. 45 full-sized oranges! Traditionally I pick them New Year's Day. The tree is less than 6 feet tall! Yum!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	little orange tree 2.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7859  

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Wow that's super cool for sure.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Not being a Floridian (yet) is that normal for a tree this size? Either way, that's a great harvest.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Yum looks like you will be making some fresh OJ soon
Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

That's great
How old is your little tree?
How much cold can a OJ tree take ?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

The tree is a hybrid which doesn't grow as large, but produces sweet, full-sized oranges. I bought it about 6 years ago, and I think it was maybe 3 years old.

initially I had it indoors in a pot. Soon it was obvious it responded better to direct sunlight and fresh air, and I moved it to the lanai. About 3 years ago it was big and stable enough to plant in the ground.

But it produced oranges even when it was in the pot (Just between 3 and 8 oranges each year). I do fertilize it twice a year with Miracle Gro citrus fertilizer stakes.

I cover it with cheesecloth type material and wrap the tree trunk if a freeze is expected (32 degrees or under overnight). If there is prolonged freezing weather expected, it is better to harvest the oranges because they can become mealy-textured after too much exposure to freezing temps.

The orange blossoms for the next year's harvest appear in March, and they smell sweet and wonderful!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the info. I want to purchase an orange and a lemon tree and debating whether to plant in the ground or put in a large container. The oranges on your tree look good! Enjoy them!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
Thanks for the info. I want to purchase an orange and a lemon tree and debating whether to plant in the ground or put in a large container. The oranges on your tree look good! Enjoy them!
I have 3 citrus trees in my yard at The Villages. One is a Key Lime, one is a Myers Lemon, and one is a Verigated Pink Lemon. All produced good crops this year.

Mrs. Buggy makes a wonderful low fat, no sugar cheesecake out of the lemons and out of the limes. So good you would forget it is almost health food.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Sage
Default Can't wait to eat our oranges

I also have an orange tree and a grapefruit tree planted in my yard. This is the first year for both. They are small trees as yet but the orange tree produced about 15 oranges and the grapefruit tree did not produce this year. We are waiting to harvest the oranges until mid January, as we have never had a orange tree before and we think that January is the time to harvest. I sure hope they are good!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quirky we planted a myer lemon tree this Fall and would like to know when we should fertilize it. I admire your green thumb.

Buggy PLEASE ask Mrs. Buggy to post her receipe it sounds wonderful.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

You might want to go ahead and pick one orange and try it. I say that because I was at the big fruit stand at 466/301 recently, and they told me some of the citrus is coming in early this year. Just a thought...
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Quirky we planted a myer lemon tree this Fall and would like to know when we should fertilize it. I admire your green thumb.

Buggy PLEASE ask Mrs. Buggy to post her receipe it sounds wonderful.
I think the Miracle Gro fertilizer sticks may have the directions on the package, but I believe you do it twice a year - once a few of weeks after harvesting (as soon as you start to see new growth in the leaves), then again around September.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Sage

I use a brand of fertilizer called "Rite-Green" and it is a 4-6-8 compound. I get it at Wal-Mart. It is a dry granular fertilizer made especially for citrus, mangoes, and avocados. The directions say NOT to fertilize from November through February. You do not want any growth to be starting during those months in Florida or it will damage the tree. That is the dormant stage.

I fertilize my trees about every 6 weeks beginning the 1st week of March. It really makes them grow and bear fruit.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Default growng citrus

How far from the property line can you plant a citrus tree? Also how can I save this post? Some great info. Three Citrus trees and a Japanese eggplant. that's all I want for Christmas!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Default growng citrus

How far from the property line can you plant a citrus tree? Also how can I save this post? Some great info. Three Citrus trees and a Japanese eggplant and some herbs. That's all I want for Christmas!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.