California and Electric vehicle truck deliveries

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2024, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Hydrogen will be the ultimate fuel source. Why even waste time with the polluting of batteries?
Because Hydrogen can be produced by individual citizens, therefore not enough profit for big industry? Same with methane, I believe. Interesting how fuel sources that can be produced by individual citizens is not encouraged.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage

Distribution is the issue with hydrogen. If is a lot easier to install electric recharging stations than hydrogen refueling stations. There is a lot of DC fast charging infrastructure already deployed (for example, Tesla already has about 17,000 DC fast chargers in the US alone). Also, each garage is essentially an electric recharging station with typically only a minor modification for 240V if you so desire, or no modification if 120V provides fast enough charging.

Quote:
Hydrogen will be the ultimate fuel source. Why even waste time with the polluting of batteries?
Old 01-02-2024, 08:31 AM
Sage

Producing hydrogen is not inexpensive and is typically done via electrolysis, which takes electricity. The last time I checked, people were encouraged to deploy solar panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Because Hydrogen can be produced by individual citizens, therefore not enough profit for big industry? Same with methane, I believe. Interesting how fuel sources that can be produced by individual citizens is not encouraged.

Last edited by biker1; 01-02-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,152 Times in 576 Posts
Default Locus Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Distribution is the issue with hydrogen. If is a lot easier to install electric recharging stations than hydrogen refueling stations. There is a lot of DC fast charging infrastructure already deployed (for example, Tesla already has about 17,000 DC fast chargers in the US alone). Also, each garage is essentially an electric recharging station with typically only a minor modification for 240V if you so desire, or no modification if 120V provides fast enough charging.
No issue really. Just locally produce what is needed. A car can have its own hydrogen generator. It’s not like you would be driving around with a tank of hydrogen. The generator would manufacture as needed amounts.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-02-2024, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
No issue really. Just locally produce what is needed. A car can have its own hydrogen generator. It’s not like you would be driving around with a tank of hydrogen. The generator would manufacture as needed amounts.
Kind of like a perpetual motion machine? The car would use hydrogen to generate enough energy to both power the car and replenish the hydrogen it was using?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-02-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage

Hmmm, I didn’t see any emojis so I will assume you are serious? Are you suggesting the hydrogen be used in a fuel cell or burned as internal combustion fuel? Do you realize that hydrogen would typically be generated via electrolysis, which takes electricity? Where is the electricity coming from on the vehicle that is driving around making this hydrogen, a battery perhaps? Since generating hydrogen for a fuel cell makes no sense then I can only assume you want to burn it as internal combustion fuel. This is not nearly as efficient as using the electricity to drive an electric motor, which are very efficient.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2024, 10:41 AM
Platinum member
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Kind of like a perpetual motion machine? The car would use hydrogen to generate enough energy to both power the car and replenish the hydrogen it was using?
Every car would have start up. Once it’s running it doesn’t matter because you can manufacture at surplus amounts to energy.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-02-2024, 10:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Hmmm, I didn’t see any emojis so I will assume you are serious? Are you suggesting the hydrogen be used in a fuel cell or burned as internal combustion fuel? Do you realize that hydrogen would typically be generated via electrolysis, which takes electricity? Where is the electricity coming from on the vehicle that is driving around making this hydrogen, a battery perhaps? Since generating hydrogen for a fuel cell makes no sense then I can only assume you want to burn it as internal combustion fuel. This is not nearly as efficient as using the electricity to drive an electric motor, which are very efficient.
The standard generator. Wired armature, stator and rotation. The wheel base can hook up to any pulley system.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Every car would have start up. Once it’s running it doesn’t matter because you can manufacture at surplus amounts to energy.
So then you are proposing a perpetual motion machine where operating the machine produces a surplus of energy.

Put a small bottle or battery on the car to capture some of the surplus then use it to start the car the next time. Since your machine produces a surplus of energy, once the bottle or battery is filled you would be putting that surplus hydrogen back into the atmosphere.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-02-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage

As Bill14564 asked, a perpetual motion machine? Yeah, those don’t exist.

Quote:
The standard generator. Wired armature, stator and rotation. The wheel base can hook up to any pulley system.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
For 100 miles.
Correction: Better tech, faster, more fun to drive for (approx) 350 miles.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
By 2030, probably about half of new cars sold will be EVs.
That may be what the Elites want, but I wouldn't bet on that happening. There has been tremendous consumer pushback and the manufacturers are losing so much money they are reducing output. Until/unless the perceived issues with EVs are eliminated, adoption will be very slow.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
That may be what the Elites want, but I wouldn't bet on that happening. There has been tremendous consumer pushback and the manufacturers are losing so much money they are reducing output. Until/unless the perceived issues with EVs are eliminated, adoption will be very slow.
What do you consider consumer pushback? Some have dug in their heels and declared that since the current Admin is pushing EVs they would rather ride horses. Is that the "tremendous consumer pushback" you are referring to? Those "perceived issues" are political, not technical.

Others, like me, have looked at their automobile usage habits and recognized that an EV does not have the required capabilities at this time. That will change as the range of the vehicle is increased and the range of my vacations is decreased.

As for reducing output, that will not help the manufacturers stop losing money. The amount they are losing is tied to the low number of vehicles sold, not the numbers manufactured. The big money has already been spent to build the production lines, the amount added by a vehicle sitting in a showroom is peanuts.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-02-2024, 03:07 PM
Sage

Confirmation bias at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Old 01-02-2024, 03:35 PM
Platinum member
Default No

Quote:
As Bill14564 asked, a perpetual motion machine? Yeah, those don’t exist.
No, it would have to refill with water after dilution

Closed Thread

Tags
link, work, logged, disclaimer, apologies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.