Casey - Innocent until proven guilty?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,419
Thanks: 4,200
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,611 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Living in in Illinois, I don't have accesss to the wall-to-wall, extensive coverage of this trial that Floridians are getting. Has anyone heard how long the trial is projected to last?
Helene is watching it here on Court TV. Whoops. Tru something channel on direct TV.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2011 at 10:39 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
jackz's Avatar
jackz jackz is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Village of Sanibel
Posts: 556
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=CMANN;357100]I watched the presentation today and was surprised that the prosecution really did not offer any evidence of premeditation.

I think we need to keep in mind that Opening Statements are NOT evidence. Evidence can only be brought in through the use of a witness and testimony. I believe the prosecution will begin the process of showing evidence of premeditation as it calls its witnesses and cross examines the defense witnesses.

It is a horrible situation when an innocent child is the victim of foul play, let's hope that the eventual truth comes out and the responsible party/parties are held accountable.
  #18  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
LittleDog's Avatar
LittleDog LittleDog is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Village of Poinciana
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Before the trial there was the possibility of the Anthonys being hostile witnesses. As far as I could tell George was not a hostile witness. Maybe he was just "****ed" that he was thrown under the bus and decided to be cooperative. Just a thought.

John
__________________
Neptune, NJ 1963-2005
The Villages 2005-forever

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
  #19  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Freeda's Avatar
Freeda Freeda is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Village of Hillsboro, The Villages
Posts: 609
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Also, placing duct tape over the child's mouth could have been just a really stupid thing to do (resulting in the child perhaps aspirating her own vomit, an accidental death), but duct tape over both mouth and nose would be premeditated murder.

What I don't understand is how any rational person could believe Baez's convoluted yarn. Why would anyone put duct tape over the nose and mouth of a dead (drowned) child?
I wondered too how this fits into the defense's story. I didn't hear the opening statements, because we're traveling, but from the accounts I heard about them I gather that the story is that Casey accidently let Caylee drown, her father either was home at the time or came home and discovered it; warned Casey that she would be imprisoned for neglect (and also said that 'your mother will never forgive you'); and that after that somehow in disposing of the body her father put the duct tape in place to make it look as though Caylee had been murdered by someone in order to disguise the fact that she had actually drowned - apparently to keep from implicating the family as being responsible. (??!!)

This is just my take on this from having heard bits and pieces; can anyone who actually saw the opening statements fill in any better what Baez said to explain the duct tape?

I agree that the whole thing sounds pretty preposterous. But it is not impossible that it happened. The prosecution's case has so many strong points that only some defense scenario totally off in a different direction has a chance of flying.
__________________
Freeda Louthan
Lexington KY 1951-1972, Louisville KY 1972-2007
The Villages FL since 2007 - Home for good, at last

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
  #20  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
CaliforniaGirl CaliforniaGirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
I agree that the whole thing sounds pretty preposterous. But it is not impossible that it happened. The prosecution's case has so many strong points that only some defense scenario totally off in a different direction has a chance of flying.
What's preposterous to me is to believe that a former law enforcement officer (George Anthony) would try to turn a tragic accident into a kidnapping/murder to redirect blame. He would have to know that all family members would be investigated and probably would not have been stupid enough to use duct tape and other evidence from his own home. But even if that happened, common sense says that they would have reported Caylee missing right away and would have put forth a very public effort in trying to find her...IMHO, that 31-day period of absolutely no effort being made to locate her completely negates Baez's tall tale.
  #21  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default CaliforniaGirl, I agree

Gorge Anthony was a long time homcide detective and his experience would direct him to have notified the police immediately and not cover this up. Baez, rather Casey has her back up against a wall starting with her non-chalant behavior when her daughter went missing and the habitual lying to cover it up. How does one defend a mother who does nothing for 31 days? I am waiting to see if anyone testifies as to Casey Anthony's mental state.

By the way much to my chagrin I recently read where throughout history it has been established that more mother than we care to realize murder their young. the point being tha this is not an unusual event.
  #22  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
CMANN CMANN is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 601
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
I disagree. All the searches for chloroform, how to make chloroform, household "weapons", etc. discovered on Casey's computer certainly sounds like premeditation to me. Also, placing duct tape over the child's mouth could have been just a really stupid thing to do (resulting in the child perhaps aspirating her own vomit, an accidental death), but duct tape over both mouth and nose would be premeditated murder.

What I don't understand is how any rational person could believe Baez's convoluted yarn. Why would anyone put duct tape over the nose and mouth of a dead (drowned) child?
Please follow the trial. You may have a suprise.

C
  #23  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 AM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 4,235
Thanks: 115
Thanked 562 Times in 205 Posts
Default Did I hear correctly?

One of the many boyfriends said Casey relayed secret that George's only fault was hitting her and Lee tried to touch her chest?....This was said when the jury was out of the court room at the end of trial Thursday 5/26?
  #24  
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM
LittleDog's Avatar
LittleDog LittleDog is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Village of Poinciana
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Assuming that Casey murdered Calee I have a suspicion that she did it to "punish" her mother. I think that there was a lot of turmoil in that relationship. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but Casey's state of mind as witnessed by her attitude after her daughter was missing casts doubt on her mental stability.

John
__________________
Neptune, NJ 1963-2005
The Villages 2005-forever

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
  #25  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM
jblum315's Avatar
jblum315 jblum315 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,883
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Thinking that Casey a wild girl and mother always nagging her
  #26  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Freeda's Avatar
Freeda Freeda is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Village of Hillsboro, The Villages
Posts: 609
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
This was said when the jury was out of the court room at the end of trial Thursday 5/26?
That was a 'proffer', where the judge listens to evidence that one side is wanting to offer into evidence, but out of the jury's hearing, in order to determine whether to allow it into evidence, ie, to be heard by the jury.

It also preserves the issue for appeal, if the proffered testimony is excluded by the judge, by preserving it for the record in order for the appeals court to know what the excluded testimony would have been.
__________________
Freeda Louthan
Lexington KY 1951-1972, Louisville KY 1972-2007
The Villages FL since 2007 - Home for good, at last

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
  #27  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,419
Thanks: 4,200
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,611 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

I wasn't going to watch the trial, but Helene comes down from her room with news briefs and I was kinda....drawn to see out of curiosity.

The young people who were Casey's aquaintances at that time all seem to be credible, normal, well dressed, employed, well spoken and unanimous in their opinion that during the time that Caylee was missing that Casey did not mention her, and did not appear to be looking for her and neither did she appear "down" or sad during that time.

To me, that says she is certainly not showing a normal reaction.

This trial almost seems that it was one of the made for TV court dramas. It truly is almost unbelievable...... And terribly sad when you see that darling little Caylee's face all of the time.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #28  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Casey may or may not be guilty. I'm just struck with the attention this case has gotten...THREE years of it!! I'm also quite sick of hearing about this and how the t.v. stations will interrupt regular programming for updates. Think of the cost this case has!! Where is the money coming from?? That family doesn't seem like they're wealthy.

This aside...doesn't it seem "over-kill" (no pun intended) how the t.v. stations seem to focus so much on the crime and such for their news-stories?? We lived up north and that didn't seem to be so much a factor there. It's almost like a "Cops" show...therefore we rarely listen to the 'news'.
  #29  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,419
Thanks: 4,200
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,611 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Casey may or may not be guilty. I'm just struck with the attention this case has gotten...THREE years of it!! I'm also quite sick of hearing about this and how the t.v. stations will interrupt regular programming for updates. Think of the cost this case has!! Where is the money coming from?? That family doesn't seem like they're wealthy.

This aside...doesn't it seem "over-kill" (no pun intended) how the t.v. stations seem to focus so much on the crime and such for their news-stories?? We lived up north and that didn't seem to be so much a factor there. It's almost like a "Cops" show...therefore we rarely listen to the 'news'.
Jen.

I know that you in TV are getting a lot more coverage because it is close by and frankly because it is news.

But even the Today show has updates on the trial and they usually don't follow local news of trials. I guess it just says that this trial really has drawn the interest of people nationally and my guess is because of all of the video of that darling little person when she was alive. I know that she is "real" to me because of it. What precious, precocious, pretty, sweet little person she was.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #30  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Tbugs Tbugs is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Village of Glenbrook in The Villages
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After the trial is over - how long will it be until the premise comes to an episode of "Law and Order"?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.