Death with Dignity

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2023, 12:56 PM

The real big problem is if you do commit suicide then your life insurance is normally voided out.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterstang View Post
The real big problem is if you do commit suicide then your life insurance is normally voided out.
For who is it a big problem? Once you’re gone, can’t use the money. And you can set up trust funds instead for those who are alive.

I’m not advocating suicide. Or murder. Only compassion, when we can’t help a person any more.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:06 PM

I did not mean I expected to see people acting upset at the bed of their loved one.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
This is not hypothetical my wife died on Friday.
It was not unexpected she was under hospice care for weeks, but the final five days the only thing she was living on was morphine and oxygen.
She laid there barely beathing with her mouth open.
As far as I was concerned, she passed way before her last breath.
I don't know if she was in pain or not because she was long pass communication.
I was glad she passed because she did not need to go through this anymore.
I don't understand our society, we see our pets suffering and we put them to sleep to end their suffering, but we're perfectly find letting humans go through this agony.
I'm so sorry for your loss and the painful experiences you endured with your wife's illness.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
Honest question after doctors and nurses sometimes withheld prescribed pain medicine from my mother before hospice, but not after (her particular hospice had no social workers for the 4 days she was in hospice):
Some people have at-home hospice care where nurses and doctors concentrate on comfort and pain relief without oversight by people who have advanced degrees in questioning doctor's decisions. Most hospice care is provided in a nursing home by Nursing Home Staff and Doctors- The same staff and doctors that are caring for you before your Status is changed to Hospice.

Your nursing home care changes very little- with the Hospice status being mostly a bookkeeping designation. For the most part you will continue to get the same medications and dosages you did before your status change. Increased medication will usually occur only in the final days of your life. Again- doctor's hands are tied by social workers and state and federal agencies that do yearly inspections and insist that a patient who is "Snowed" by pain medication is being denied quality of life.

I watched this happen 99% of the time over my 50 year career.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Some people have at-home hospice care where nurses and doctors concentrate on comfort and pain relief without oversight by people who have advanced degrees in questioning doctor's decisions. Most hospice care is provided in a nursing home by Nursing Home Staff and Doctors- The same staff and doctors that are caring for you before your Status is changed to Hospice.

Your nursing home care changes very little- with the Hospice status being mostly a bookkeeping designation. For the most part you will continue to get the same medications and dosages you did before your status change. Increased medication will usually occur only in the final days of your life. Again- doctor's hands are tied by social workers and state and federal agencies that do yearly inspections and insist that a patient who is "Snowed" by pain medication is being denied quality of life.

I watched this happen 99% of the time over my 50 year career.
Wow. :-(
Old 06-01-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Religious Groups’ Views on End-of-Life Issues | Pew Research Center - What an excellent, clear, informative resource with additionals links & references for more info. Thank you very much!
Found it. Religious Groups’ Views on End-of-Life Issues | Pew Research Center
Old 06-01-2023, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,318 Times in 4,325 Posts

Quote:
Normally, it is NOT voided... Only if the policy was purchased in the last 2 years (give or take)...

Most people do not plan their suicide out that far in advance...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-01-2023, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry101 View Post
By faith Christians believe … the cross is empty … Jesus Christ did indeed die for our sins … he was buried … but God raised him from the dead … and He gave US the great commission to tell that story! He will come again in glory … and EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that he is LORD!

… that is Christianity!
Still waiting for him to "come again in glory". Don't think it will happen. Hasn't happened so far.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

~~~
Old 06-02-2023, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry101 View Post
By faith Christians believe … the cross is empty … Jesus Christ did indeed die for our sins … he was buried … but God raised him from the dead … and He gave US the great commission to tell that story! He will come again in glory … and EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that he is LORD!

… that is Christianity!
Christians will suffer and endure the pain and be happy to do so. The family of those suffering should be willing to suffer along with the ailing member of the family. God knows how much pain and suffering he wants you to endure. He will take you when he is ready for you. It is not your place to interfere with his timing of your departure. You may pray during your suffering and seek a miracle recovery. God will listen and may grant that miracle if there is sufficient supportive prayer and a compelling request.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Christians will suffer and endure the pain and be happy to do so. The family of those suffering should be willing to suffer along with the ailing member of the family. God knows how much pain and suffering he wants you to endure. He will take you when he is ready for you. It is not your place to interfere with his timing of your departure. You may pray during your suffering and seek a miracle recovery. God will listen and may grant that miracle if there is sufficient supportive prayer and a compelling request.
I am sorry, but I find it incredible that someone could actually be brainwashed into such belief.
I think that is a truly sad post.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

My mother had Alzheimer's, toward the end she "forgot" how to eat and we couldn't get her to take anything. A few days later she stopped drinking anything. A few days after that we got the call that she was close to death. We went over and I held her hand as she died. Is that how she wanted to go? I don't think so, but we had (and she) had no choice. I still cry over those last few moments.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
This is not hypothetical my wife died on Friday.
It was not unexpected she was under hospice care for weeks, but the final five days the only thing she was living on was morphine and oxygen.
She laid there barely beathing with her mouth open.
As far as I was concerned, she passed way before her last breath.
I don't know if she was in pain or not because she was long pass communication.
I was glad she passed because she did not need to go through this anymore.
I don't understand our society, we see our pets suffering and we put them to sleep to end their suffering, but we're perfectly find letting humans go through this agony.
I'm very sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing. I went through a similar situation and it's not easy.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Mine has a 6month suicide claus. Not sure if that is normal or not. It also restricts certain activities.
Closed Thread

Tags
end, life, dignified, point, enduring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.