Death with Dignity

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

I’m not sure who started the idea of sadistic goodness, that there is something holy about suffering, but I don’t think it came from the Creator because all living things try to avoid suffering.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Still waiting for him to "come again in glory". Don't think it will happen. Hasn't happened so far.
My personal understanding of Christianity is that the reason why there are two testaments, is because the old way that is the Jewish way, is very difficult. It is not that it doesn’t work, or that God has changed, it is that for too many people it is hard to do all that is required. To make it easier there was an “amendment” so to speak, allowed, the new testament, where through Christ’s death it became much easier to be cleansed to enter the presence. But one way is not necessarily “better” than the other way.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
A relative of mine living in Florida was diagnosed with end stage pancreatic cancer. She decided against chemo. Her doctor would not prescribe medical marajuana for some reason and I found this rediculous. Someone obtained and gave her the medical marajuana. She seemed so much more comfortable and even happy on it. She even lived longer than the doctor said she would - don't think he ever knew. Be your own health care advocate, do research, try different things, and don't be afraid to switch doctors.
Yep.

My daughter is a nurse. She knows my end-of-life wishes and I have no doubt that she will see to it that they are followed.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I’m not sure who started the idea of sadistic goodness, that there is something holy about suffering, but I don’t think it came from the Creator because all living things try to avoid suffering.
Suffering, from the perspective of Mama Nature, is a good thing. We do whatever we can to avoid or alleviate pain and by so doing we (assumedly) prolong our lives. Just think of what the world would be like if, say, getting toasted to a cinder in a fire felt orgasmically good?
Old 06-02-2023, 08:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Still waiting for him to "come again in glory". Don't think it will happen. Hasn't happened so far.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Christians will suffer and endure the pain and be happy to do so. The family of those suffering should be willing to suffer along with the ailing member of the family. God knows how much pain and suffering he wants you to endure. He will take you when he is ready for you. It is not your place to interfere with his timing of your departure. You may pray during your suffering and seek a miracle recovery. God will listen and may grant that miracle if there is sufficient supportive prayer and a compelling request.
Yeah, no. You are welcome to suffer because you believe in something unbelievable.... but please don't make others suffer unnecessarily. 'Christians will suffer and endue the pain and be happy to do so. Family members should be willing to suffer along with the ailing member of the family." I'm sorry, that's demented..... I'm glad I wasn't raised in a family that thought this way.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,037 Posts

it's very easy to speculate, but i promise you won't be able to make that choice until it's staring you in the face. everything looks much different from there.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
A thought came upon me when reading about the apparent recent TV murder and suicide.

As I age, I can perceive a time when an elderly person receives the "terminal" news from docs. And close to "the end point" enduring extreme pain as your body, and perhaps mind, slowly declines.

Provided some serious meds to alleviate some of that pain, but still. And the inevitable continues - many days or weeks with your family watching no quality of LIFE impacting your loved one laying there. Enduring rough emotions and expending $$$$$.

My choice at that point would be an understanding with loved ones that I CHOOSE to determine the time and method of my End when I want to. When there is absolutely NO hope. And possibly "live out" the inevitable in a coma/vegetative state or such. IMO NOT fair to ME or the Family. MY Choice would be a Dignified end of life. Our society endures so much which endangers healthy life. We should have a law that provides for a dignified death within strict regulations. period.

There are several USA states that passed a Bill covering this. Florida, not yet.
Totally agree. Many have no family members to monitor their care in nursing homes. Humane painless death a better way to go. Hell even death row inmates leave this world more humanely than a slow death in a nursing home surrounded by strangers
Old 06-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Default Retired hospice R.N.

Hospice care is comfort care. Most hospice care is done in a person's home.Until you know what good end-of-life looks like you really don't have the knowledge to state "your feelings". If you want to learn I am an exert, on the subject, and give free presentations in The Villages. Please see my website: Spirit Matters - About
Old 06-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss and the painful experiences you endured with your wife's illness.
Thank you I buried my wife yesterday in New York.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellmack View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing. I went through a similar situation and it's not easy.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyB View Post
I am so sorry for your loss.
I agree with you, we should be able to say enough is enough. When a horse breaks its leg, it is put down immediately no matter the value of the horse and yet humans are left to suffer.
Again, I am very sorry about your wife.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,120 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Totally agree. Many have no family members to monitor their care in nursing homes. Humane painless death a better way to go. Hell even death row inmates leave this world more humanely than a slow death in a nursing home surrounded by strangers
Yes, but I think we owe it to our descendants to not leave them a world where, three generations from now, "death with dignity" has become "civic duty to die".

The moment we pass a law that gives one doctor the right to help people to die, without protecting another doctor's right to refuse, that's the road we're on.

I'm not willing to sacrifice the world my offspring will inherit for my own personal comfort.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterstang View Post
The real big problem is if you do commit suicide then your life insurance is normally voided out.
Typically this is just in the first 1-3 years. I have two term policies and one limits payouts in two years and the other three years. Most people don't plan out suicides more than a year in advance, so once you get past that limitation the death payout is the same regardless of the manner of death.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,720 Times in 3,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Christians will suffer and endure the pain and be happy to do so. The family of those suffering should be willing to suffer along with the ailing member of the family. God knows how much pain and suffering he wants you to endure. He will take you when he is ready for you. It is not your place to interfere with his timing of your departure. You may pray during your suffering and seek a miracle recovery. God will listen and may grant that miracle if there is sufficient supportive prayer and a compelling request.
Your god has already granted you a miracle. He gave humans the minds with which they could develop science, and remedies, and relief of pain, in addition to all that he provided through nature's bounty. He gave humans the decision-making processes necessary to determine whether or not they should be forced to endure suffering, and the ability to end it whenever they wanted, so long as they were unfettered and physically capable of doing so. And if that wasn't enough, he gave humans opposable thumbs and language, so they would write down or record their wishes, should there come a time when they would want their lives ended but be physically incapable of carrying out their decisions on their own.

You choose to ignore all that god has given you, in exchange for something you read in a book that may or may not have been written by anyone sane, over 1500 years ago.

Enjoy your suffering. When the time comes, if I feel I can't endure any more. I'll ask to be released from life.
Closed Thread

Tags
end, life, dignified, point, enduring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.