Did we blow it with the lockdown?

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I disinfect my groceries after delivery or curbside pickup, you can leave dry goods in garage for a few days. Over 99% of infections are from contact with other people inside buildings. Risk of groceries contamination is very low. Look it up on CDC guidelines.

Didn't answer your question comparing herd immunity to suicide or abortion because it's ridiculous.
My question wasn't ridiculous. What is ludicrous, however, is when people think someone's question is ridiculous, or dumb.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

But this was also the point of the lockdown or self-isolation: IF people had strictly complied for a matter of only about 2 weeks, the same lack of hosts could/would have occurred. Why do you think that it will be different than the Villages response to the lockdown. On the occasions that I had to go out (doctor, banking etc) we saw many people in groups, no six feet or masks there. Unfortunately many people here believe we are privileged and don't have to follows directives. That attitude will get more people killed than need to be.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,095 Times in 4,216 Posts

Quote:
Dr Fauci says second wave of coronavirus is 'inevitable' The nation’s top epidemiologist said Tuesday the United States could be in for “a bad fall and a bad winter,” if it's not prepared for a second wave of the virus.

And LOL. Epidemiologists don't conduct double blinded placebo controlled clinical trials to predict the course of pandemics, especially with a new virus. They study past outbreaks that are have similar person to person spread, R factor etc
Of course Tony has to say that. I take a completely different approach when I'm the guy in charge and will be blamed for anything that goes wrong. And I agree with him, there will most likely be a second wave. The question is whether it will be larger than the first or an insignificant blip on the radar screen.

As far as epidemiologic studies go, are you asking me or telling me???? Because if you're telling, that REALLY would be a LOL
Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
My question wasn't ridiculous. What is ludicrous, however, is when people think someone's question is ridiculous, or dumb.
Sorry, I have to side with Goodlife on this one. They used to say there are no dumb questions, but in reality, there are, and the jury is still out on this one
Old 05-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Of course Tony has to say that. I take a completely different approach when I'm the guy in charge and will be blamed for anything that goes wrong. And I agree with him, there will most likely be a second wave. The question is whether it will be larger than the first or an insignificant blip on the radar screen.

As far as epidemiologic studies go, are you asking me or telling me???? Because if you're telling, that REALLY would be a LOL
Tell you what, to further the discussion, can you show us any epidemiologists who say coronavirus will fade away completely soon and die off? The fat lady will sing? It's certainly possible, but I haven't seen any serious studies saying that.

Most I read say it may fade this summer, but will be back in winter unless vaccine or herd immunity.

I'd be glad to hear it.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-07-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Platinum member

It gets worse

Professor Lockdown statement to the Telegraph

Professor Ferguson said: “I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus, and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.”

So he had his lover over after testing positive, symptoms etc and no immunity test.

Rules are for the little guys
Old 05-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Tell you what, to further the discussion, can you show us any epidemiologists who say coronavirus will fade away completely soon and die off? The fat lady will sing? It's certainly possible, but I haven't seen any serious studies saying that.

Most I read say it may fade this summer, but will be back in winter unless vaccine or herd immunity.

I'd be glad to hear it.
I'd be glad to hear it too. Unfortunately, no one knows.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
And you are misusing the numbers. You are using a death rate that is derived by taking the number of people who have tested positive divided by the number of people who were coded as Covid deaths. That is incorrect. You have to use all those infected divided by those who died. If up to 80% are asymptomatic, they would never have been tested. Two independent antibody studies show that more than 50 TIMES more people have the antibodies than have had positive test results.
Actually, the rate is derived by dividing the known deaths by the known positives, anything else is just an assumption. Naturally there are more out there that were never tested, and it's probably the same everywhere. But these total numbers are unknown at this time, and the only way to compare is with known numbers.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
Actually, the rate is derived by dividing the known deaths by the known positives, anything else is just an assumption. Naturally there are more out there that were never tested, and it's probably the same everywhere. But these total numbers are unknown at this time, and the only way to compare is with known numbers.
One thing is certain: Dead people don't care which number you use as a denominator
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,531 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
It gets worse

Professor Lockdown statement to the Telegraph

Professor Ferguson said: “I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus, and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.”

So he had his lover over after testing positive, symptoms etc and no immunity test.

Rules are for the little guys
I have heard of an antibody test, is this another test?
Old 05-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have heard of an antibody test, is this another test?
Sorry, should have said antibody test.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
So you are choosing to ignore the two independent studies that tested for antibodies? Those extrapolated numbers Show a mortality rate of less than 1/2 of 1%. Even the governor of NY is now acknowledging that there were most likely more than 2.7 million cases of the virus in his state alone.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,531 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, should have said antibody test.
Thanks. Thought they had gone a step further!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
So you are choosing to ignore the two independent studies that tested for antibodies? Those extrapolated numbers Show a mortality rate of less than 1/2 of 1%. Even the governor of NY is now acknowledging that there were most likely more than 2.7 million cases of the virus in his state alone.
Personally, I'm tired of all the studies that come out with different results and contradict each other, so I look at numbers not estimates.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Default The affair

The affair was pointed out as being hypocritical by telling everyone else to socially distance themselves, yet he stepped outside his home to have an affair with someone he did not live with...
Closed Thread

Tags
lockdown, professor, months, usa, million

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.