Direct TV cost?

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Default Direct TV cost?

We currently have CenturyLink but just hit the end of our initial 2 year contract and lost almost all our discounts. They have not been terribly eager to get our monthly bill back down to even close to what it was, so I'm considering switching our service to DirectTV, and just using CenturyLink for internet. It looks like I can get all the same channels we currently get, in two rooms with their Genie HD DVR setup, for a LOT less money. I know the Direct TV promotional prices are only good for a year, but even after that one year, the price is still considerably less.

Would anyone like to share their monthly cost for Direct TV in two rooms? I just want to make certain I'm not missing something.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,176 Times in 442 Posts
Default Direct Tv cost for us

We have 5 TV's and cost was $80 and jumped to $160 after first year and we reluctantly went back to Comcast (at least during storms we won't lose connection) and cost is now $105 for internet and TV, but I do miss the clarity of pic with Direct.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

We had two DirecTV DVRs with whole-home service, no premium or other channels and the price crawled up to $125/month before we finally switched back to cable. This is in our home in North Carolina. We have a home we're renting out in TV that we plan on moving to in about a year and were not planning on going to satellite TV (either DirecTV or DISH) when we did as we understand Florida in general has a lot more thunderstorms than we get here and satellite TV (we've had both companies) tends to drop out a lot during thunderstorms. We're not sure who we're going with but hope to stay away from Comcast due it's poor reputation for service. Ideally it will be somebody with fiber instead of cable and combined with reasonably fast (100+ Mb/s) internet.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

Hopefully your place is south of 466A you can get Brighthouse if not you are stuck with Comcast . We need more cable services in the northern section.. Ccomcast can do anything they want to because they have us over a barrel . Yes I have Comcast and I'm looking because my service is horrible once they hooked up,the wireless modem. Bill also,keeps,going,up
Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Platinum member

We've had Directv for almost 5 years. 4 tvs with Genie system and bill was approx. $135 per month. I called them last week to tell them Dish had a better offer and after talking with a very nice customer service agent, he reduced our bill $40 if I agreed to drop a few unwatched channels and stay with them one more year. I was pleased and we are pleased with the service. We had Dish several years ago and were NOT happy. We now have their Choice programming!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
Hopefully your place is south of 466A you can get Brighthouse if not you are stuck with Comcast.
We're south of 466A and can get Brighthouse. Our son has them over in Melbourne and they are ok, but their technology is kind of out of date, and he has to reboot everything at least once a week.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

I was over at my neighbor's house the other day because he had just bought a Samsung 65" 3D TV. When we had on the 3D glasses and he was playing a 3D video it looked great, but when he switched on his Comcast Cable I couldn't believe how unclear the picture was. Another neighbor even made comment, that's not a very good HD picture.

I've had Directv since 2008 when I dropped Comcast. The picture is one of the reasons I switched. I've had an HD TV since 2005, I'm now on my third, a 60" Vizio LED Smart HD TV. I have a tendency to want the latest. Also, I spend a great deal of time watching television and like having the ability to record up to a 1,000 hours of DVR HD capability. It sounds like a lot, but right now I only have 40% free space left.

I have home phone with long distance and internet with Century Link. I have never had a problem and almost never a loss of service. There was one time last summer service went out and I found out it was from a lightning strike knocking out my backup battery. Yes, Century Link puts in a backup battery so in case of a power failure you won't lose your internet or phone.

Directv can be cheap, or expensive depending on how much you want. I have the Premier HD Package from Directv, which includes HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore, plus HD Tier which includes about 10 HD only channels, so that's about 50 HD mostly commercial free channels before we even get to the networks. I also have all the regional sports channels across the country and up until last week NFL Sunday Ticket for every game every week, not just Red Zone. Our bill was $207 a month, taxes are almost $25 of that, we pay more in Florida so we have the luxury of no state income tax. When NFL Sunday Tickets drops off this coming month my bill should be about $160. I have two HD TV's, plus the maintenance plan and a DVR on the main TV, but you can watch all the recorded programming on the second TV.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We currently have CenturyLink but just hit the end of our initial 2 year contract and lost almost all our discounts. They have not been terribly eager to get our monthly bill back down to even close to what it was,... snipped
Does anyone know if it is it normal for CenturyLink to charge almost the same rate as the introductory rate once their introductory rate expires rather than charge the current going rate for whatever is subscribed to?

Old 01-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Sage

I switched from Directv to DISH and have been happy!

I am a sports nut. DirectV is a good product but got tired of them changing their prices from month to month.

To me, I just want to pay the price they advertise for the product I am receiving. DISH "Hopper" recording device, works extremely well. I believe it's the best for recording programs and series.

DISH has a great music channel called Unforgettable, (ch 955), that plays the old standards like Sinatra, Bennett, Fitzgerald and Armstrong, etc.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 AM

We have Direct TV, DVR and 2 Genies, we have the lowest TV line-up, 145 channels, we are below $100 a month. I know that if you call after your initial discount they will reduce it, it's just that you have to make the effort to call and take up your time, which I hate to do. I have had Comcast, Brighthouse and now Direct TV, IMO it's the best of those 3. I like using an app to schedule TV if I am away, love the options for channel line-up, and picture is great. We have Century Link for internet, and AT & T on our cell phone, if you have AT&T with Direct TV, since AT&T bought out Direct TV they advertise package prices. We have no premium movie channels, HBO-Showtime, but are now using the apps on our smart TV to watch that programming, works great, only a month-month charge, on Amazon Prime I can get Showtime for $8.99 a month with a 30 day free trial, HBO NOW offers a great app. I watch the series I want, then cancel after they are over. You do need to have decent speed on your internet to stream, our internet package, 40MBPS, streams great.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Gold member

My 2 year contract ended with DirecTV and my bill went up as expected. I called and asked how to cancel and remove dish. My bill was lowered to $91/month with Genie and 4 TV's. I had to agree to a 1 year contract. Rep says make sure you call next year so you can get the best rate at that time. Very happy with DTV.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Default Directv wins for me

Directv wins for me hands down. I use comcast for internet only. Directv bill runs about $74 with promotions.. Internet $50. My gripe is always having to call Direct and/or comcast and threaten to leave to get a fair rate.
They treat existing customers like sh_t, and give new customers everything under the sun. There is no comparing the picture quality. Comcast is way below that of direct. I also really like the directv app. I can set up recording in the middle of my pickleball game if i want. All of them are a hassle, so you might as well get the best picture you can get for your troubles.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Default Directv

[QUOTE=outahere;1172470]We currently have CenturyLink but just hit the end of our initial 2 year contract and lost almost all our discounts. They have not been terribly eager to get our monthly bill back down to even close to what it was, so I'm considering switching our service to DirectTV, and just using CenturyLink for internet. It looks like I can get all the same channels we currently get, in two rooms with their Genie HD DVR setup, for a LOT less money. I know the Direct TV promotional prices are only good for a year, but even after that one year, the price is still considerably less.

Would anyone like to share their monthly cost for Direct TV in two rooms? I just want to make certain I'm not missing something.

Thanks.[/QUOTE
We have Directv,2 tv's about 300 channels,no HBO etc for about $125 a month with no contract.I will be calling Directv for a discount.
If you signup for Directv use the refer a friend program with my account #71382469.You and I will save $10 a month for 10 months.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:45 PM

I have had Direct TV for four years and am not interested in changing
to anything else. I my opinion, they are the best. Prices always change
it is the nature or the industry. I don't have them because they are
the cheapest, but because of their product and service is the best.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

I have dish in Va. and Comcast in TV. I wish I had Dish in both. The picture is much better w/Dish.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, direct, monthly, cost, rooms, centurylink, promotional, setup, genie, money, prices, dvr, lot, share, make, missing, considerably, good, price, directtv, discounts, terribly, bill, eager, lost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.