DIRECTV subscribers alert

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know nobody cares what mine are because unfortunately we don’t live in TV, actually we live in another state. We’re with Frontier & our Cable TV & Internet is FREE. Basically we get the exact same thing we got when we lived in TV, we were with Brighthouse & we paid $160. a month.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I know nobody cares what mine are because unfortunately we don’t live in TV, actually we live in another state. We’re with Frontier & our Cable TV & Internet is FREE. Basically we get the exact same thing we got when we lived in TV, we were with Brighthouse & we paid $160. a month.
Really? You still feel the need to bash The Villages after you’ve moved to another state?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:36 PM
Default TV streaming

Century Link offers high speed internet, we have 1 G/B it is now $65/mo, lesser speeds are less expensive. Our TV is youtube TV $50/mo +tax. Hulu is another addition for around $7/mo. Youtube TV offers unlimited recording and they keep your recordings for 9 months
Old 01-02-2020, 03:06 PM

In 2016 I ordered DirecTV in WI. Fortunately, I checked my first bill and found they had added the Protection Plan though I never asked for it. They tried to talk me in to it but eventually did remove it.

I ordered DirecTV in TVs about 15 months ago. I have direct shared billing through Century Link (save $10/mo). Unfortunately, I did not keep track of my bill (admittedly my fault) until just a few days ago. I found they had again done the same thing, added the Protection Plan without my permission. I called and argued with them for an hour as they kept saying they couldn't do anything for me but cancel now as I had not let them know after I got my first bill. After I insisted, and insisted, I wanted to talk to a supervisor (they never did let me do that) they FINALLY relented and gave me a credit for 3 months billing. While this doesn't make me whole I'm a snow bird so I've ONLY been stuck with this charge for 8 or 9 months, not the 15 months since I signed up.

There are some positives with DirecTV (for example, there currently is no charge when you put the service on vacation hold) but the Protection Plan is clearly a scam since they don't ask or tell you about it when you sign up. It is obvious this is something they do every chance they get. They are counting on people not paying attention to their bills (as I didn't). I should have been more careful given that they pulled this on me the first time I signed up with them. I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you shouldn't use the Protection Plan, but be careful and CHECK YOUR BILLS REGULARLY to make sure you are only paying for what you want!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

If they were doing that to me...... I would expect dinner and drinks first..... at least a kiss maybe.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Please explain your approach to them. I am in month 13 now and expect my bill to rise significantly, as I understood when agreeing to a 2 year contract though CenturyLink.

Exactly how did you approach them to get a discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I called DirecTV in month 12 and negotiated a 2nd year discount. However, at the end of the contract, I will be going elsewhere. I need reliable TV during storms and satellite doesn’t fill the bill.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:05 PM

I have been with DirecTV off and on for probably 20 years. Since moving to The Villages I have used DirecTV, Comcast and CenturyLink. They all pretty much have the same Customer Non-Service in my opinion. Whenever my existing contract runs out and the negotiations begin I know it will take a minimum of 3 to 4 months before the monthly bills are accurate. It always take multiple phone calls and only gets resolved after I demand to speak to a supervisor.

One of the tricks these services use is to let you think that your bill cannot change until your contract runs out. My current contract states that I agree to pay $124 for the programming package with a $60 discount for a net $64.00 per month. As of January 2020 DirecTV is raising their rates so that the same package will now be $131.00. I will still get the $60 discount but my cost will now be $71.00. By using the "discount" option they can raise their rates as often as they dare and if you are in a 12 or 24 month contract you just have to grin and bear it. DirecTV is not the only one that operates this way.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 AM

I just cut the cable from Direct TV simply because I was frustrated every month over the bill fluctuating by as much as $40 a month. I purchased 2 Amazon 4 K fire sticks and I couldn’t be happier. And the picture is much nicer.
Eventually your bill will change they’ll fix it then the following month it’ll go up more. And I don’t loose my service when it rains.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Have you noticed, DirecTV customers, that you are currently not receiving NBC? I called yesterday to complain, and after the usual run-around, they told me me they could/would /were able to discount my service because I was not receiving that channel. They lied first about being able to do anything. Typical. BUT, they only applied this discount AFTER I asked them what my early termination fee would be. Hey, the discount is only $10/ month, but still....
Old 01-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsmm View Post
Have you noticed, DirecTV customers, that you are currently not receiving NBC? I called yesterday to complain, and after the usual run-around, they told me me they could/would /were able to discount my service because I was not receiving that channel. They lied first about being able to do anything. Typical. BUT, they only applied this discount AFTER I asked them what my early termination fee would be. Hey, the discount is only $10/ month, but still....
I've been with Directv since 2008 because I'm a huge NFL and college football fan. At least every year or two you'll lose a channel for a few days while they negotiate. There was a memo two weeks ago we would lose Elrey and Fuse, I don't watch them so I didn't care, but it didn't happen. Sometimes it does, NBC is losing ratings from 33 Hearst owned stations because of this dispute. They have an NFL playoff game, Seahawks at Eagles this afternoon followed by the Golden Globe Awards. I think Directv is betting that NBC will cave first, while NBC is betting football fans will leave Directv.
Closed Thread

Tags
directv, charge, plan, response, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.