Ebola Scare

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM
blueash's Avatar
blueash blueash is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,343
Thanks: 118
Thanked 1,131 Times in 305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho
After thinking about "the Ebola scare" I believe the main thing that fueled the fear was the lack of trust in our government to a)tell us the truth and b)handle it correctly. We will never know if we got the truth; but it appears in spite of their screw ups things are working out well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn
What "screw ups" can be blamed on the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta or the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD ? It seems that these government institutions cleaned up errors made by the hospital in Dallas and saved lives in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
"A laboratory mistake at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta may have exposed a technician to the deadly Ebola virus, federal officials said on Wednesday. The technician will be monitored for signs of infection for 21 days, the incubation period of the disease."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/he...irus.html?_r=0

"For weeks, health officials reassured the public about Ebola, saying the nation's health care system would contain the virus.

But now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is admitting that mistakes were made, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann."


Ebola virus response in Dallas had mistakes admits CDC - CBS News
I appreciate the attempt to answer Janmcn's question which was a reply to Gomoho's accusation that the ebola scare was partly because the CDC has screwed up.

Your two citations don't support the position Gomoho took that CDC screw ups produced the Ebola scare. The story of the mishandled lab sample of course occurred well after the scare ended and involved no risk to anyone outside the lab. Your second reference with the title including CDC and mistakes when actually read simply says that the CDC :

"The agency now admits a mistake. Its rapid-response team should have been mobilized to Dallas right away to help train the staff caring for Duncan, something the agency said it will do from now on."

Thus the examples of screw ups by the CDC were
1. A mishandling of a lab sample internally which posed no risk to the public
2. Not sending a rapid response team quickly enough because they thought the local hospital would be able to manage the required isolation

Of course if the CDC is incompetent why would you want their team to come help? In fact the CDC gave advise on the proper handling of patients, the lack of need to isolate non-ill persons, the complete picture of how the disease spreads, when persons become contagious, how to monitor while both protecting the public and not stripping people of their rights.

And the lack of trust in government might have been engendered by people saying completely false things like immigrants and terrorists were being infected with Ebola and sent across our borders to get us.
Ebola fears spark backlash against Latino immigrants - CNN.com
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...a-a#.xmXbqovmE
» Next Phase of the Ebola Crisis: Terrorism Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

And that Ebola was easy to catch,
Is the Ebola virus 'incredibly contagious' and 'easy to catch,' like Rand Paul says? | PolitiFact

So perhaps there were some who felt that making it appear that the CDC and the government in general is incompetent was all part of a political philosophy to create and benefit from the Ebola scare. And those who still feel that we only escaped a massive epidemic because we got lucky or "in spite" of the CDC and our response are unaware of how the CDC got it right, nearly completely right.
__________________
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
  #32  
Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Rags123 Rags123 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 673
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I appreciate the attempt to answer Janmcn's question which was a reply to Gomoho's accusation that the ebola scare was partly because the CDC has screwed up.

Your two citations don't support the position Gomoho took that CDC screw ups produced the Ebola scare. The story of the mishandled lab sample of course occurred well after the scare ended and involved no risk to anyone outside the lab. Your second reference with the title including CDC and mistakes when actually read simply says that the CDC :

"The agency now admits a mistake. Its rapid-response team should have been mobilized to Dallas right away to help train the staff caring for Duncan, something the agency said it will do from now on."

Thus the examples of screw ups by the CDC were
1. A mishandling of a lab sample internally which posed no risk to the public
2. Not sending a rapid response team quickly enough because they thought the local hospital would be able to manage the required isolation

Of course if the CDC is incompetent why would you want their team to come help? In fact the CDC gave advise on the proper handling of patients, the lack of need to isolate non-ill persons, the complete picture of how the disease spreads, when persons become contagious, how to monitor while both protecting the public and not stripping people of their rights.

And the lack of trust in government might have been engendered by people saying completely false things like immigrants and terrorists were being infected with Ebola and sent across our borders to get us.
Ebola fears spark backlash against Latino immigrants - CNN.com
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...a-a#.xmXbqovmE
» Next Phase of the Ebola Crisis: Terrorism Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

And that Ebola was easy to catch,
Is the Ebola virus 'incredibly contagious' and 'easy to catch,' like Rand Paul says? | PolitiFact

So perhaps there were some who felt that making it appear that the CDC and the government in general is incompetent was all part of a political philosophy to create and benefit from the Ebola scare. And those who still feel that we only escaped a massive epidemic because we got lucky or "in spite" of the CDC and our response are unaware of how the CDC got it right, nearly completely right.
The thread was about how good the CDC and others did......that was the thread. Nobody started a thread to demean the CDC or anyone.

My post that you are responding to was simply two links that fly in the face of the post asking for examples of CDC errors and nothing more than that.

Most of the thread was to mock anyone who had fear of the Ebola scare.

You and others sure are attempting to make this something is certainly isnt, although I cannot read the OP.s mind...obviously that is a skill you have mastered. My posts were to simply respond to posts that had NOTHING to do with the OP and to divert it from po.....cal discussion which so many seemed to want it to become.

I am not sure if those being mocked and made fun of for being afraid were all right or left and not sure how this becomes po.....al.

Gomoho's post was stating the obvious about the miscommunications at the beginnings and he ended up complimenting them so not sure what the lecture is all about.

SIMPLY SAID....GOMOHO never said what you claim he said. He did not say "CDC screw ups produced the Ebola scare" He actually simply referred to the "government" and the distrust which existed. So you have put words in his mouth that were never ever posted here.

Secondly.....I simply replied with no comment to JANMCN who asked this question..."What "screw ups" can be blamed on the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta or the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD ? It seems that these government institutions cleaned up errors made by the hospital in Dallas and saved lives in the process." I responded by linking TWO articles cited showing errors.

Pretty simple stuff to me but then again.....
  #33  
Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,209
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's not all cut and dried and put away. And the "fears" which were actually ALERTS that should have formed a desire for PREPAREDNESS were not unfounded!

NPR - Jan. 15, 2015
Prediction: All Predictions About Ebola Are Unpredictable

"…….Early on officials at the World Health Organization predicted that Ebola would be contained at only a few hundred cases. A few months later the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was predicting up to 1.4 million cases by January 20, 2015 in Sierra Leone and Liberia alone. That calculation turned out to be wildly inflated. As of this week, WHO has counted roughly 21,000 cases.

It wasn't just the CDC that got it wrong. Back in August, before the outbreak really began to pick up steam, the chief scientist at Britain's Department for International Development said the worst of the crisis appeared to have passed in Guinea. After his declaration, the incidence of Ebola in Guinea would increase nearly fivefold from roughly 30 cases a week in early August to more than 150 cases a week in early December.

Researchers have also had a hard time guessing where the virus will pop up next……"

Prediction: All Predictions About Ebola Are Unpredictable : Goats and Soda : NPR

…..
  #34  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,841
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Now that's a scary statistic.

I stick by my comment above. The fact that our friends in ATL and DC are not forthcoming with Ebola case Statistics is a serious concern. This lack of transparency could kill people. In all my years in healthcare I've always been kept informed about infectious diseases. In fact, the CDC could be counted on to keep us up to date without a request on our part. No more, and the media does not probe for information as they used to.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.