Florida lawmakers working on bill to limit support of emotional support animals.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 12-04-2019, 04:47 PM
New Englander New Englander is online now
Gold member
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Massachusetts, Pinellas, Now Sanibel
Posts: 1,450
Thanks: 271
Thanked 652 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Europe is Europe and here is here. (How's that for depth?) When in Rome...


The point is frauds are making it hard on the people who really need a service dog. And the law is making it easy on the frauds.
__________________
Is this a great country or what?
  #62  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Jdmiata Jdmiata is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 301
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcapaul View Post
I have no problem with a service dog going where it needs to. But too many are claiming "emotional support animal" just to take a pet with them.
I agree. Service dogs are a great thing. But some abuse the “support” thing.
  #63  
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,584
Thanks: 2,510
Thanked 3,078 Times in 940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
I agree. Service dogs are a great thing. But some abuse the “support” thing.
If they use the "support" term to explain why their pet is where it is, then by definition they are abusing the "support" thing. That's because a support animal is not a service animal. When a store says "service animals welcome" it is excluding emotional support animals. An "emotional support" animal is not trained to do anything in particular, at all. It's just a pet with a fancy name.

A service animal is trained to perform specific tasks on behalf of someone who is disabled.
  #64  
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 PM
fsusix fsusix is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default About TIME

It is such a disgrace - and abuse - I've seen dogs in the tag office - sitting on the seats - we have to sit on - I did write and they did say they talked to the guy and it was not a support dog. My husband has Parkinson - tripping over a leash is so dangerous - Dog owners THINK everyone is there to give (THEM) or attention to their dog. I am allergic to dogs - where do my rights come into play here?!? I've seen people bring dogs into the grocery store - in the basket that we all have to use - yes there are wipes - but can you wipe down the entire cart? This is being abused - and when we have asked the manager why they don't do something - their answer was - we are not ALLOWED to ASK them by law if they have papers and if it is a service dog. Please change and enforce this to protect and respect the rights of all. I have no problems with a 'real' service dog - they are well trained - behave and sit on the floor - helping their owner. I'd say it's about time a law is passed and hope it is enforced.
NO to 'emotional' support dogs - only SERVICE DOGS!

Last edited by fsusix; 12-05-2019 at 07:52 PM.
  #65  
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,584
Thanks: 2,510
Thanked 3,078 Times in 940 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusix View Post
It is such a disgrace - and abuse - I've seen dogs in the tag office - sitting on the seats - we have to sit on - I did write and they did say they talked to the guy and it was not a support dog. My husband has Parkinson - tripping over a leash is so dangerous - Dog owners THINK everyone is there to give (THEM) or attention to their dog. I am allergic to dogs - where do my rights come into play here?!? I've seen people bring dogs into the grocery store - in the basket that we all have to use - yes there are wipes - but can you wipe down the entire cart? This is being abused - and when we have asked the manager why they don't do something - their answer was - we are not ALLOWED to ASK them by law if they have papers and if it is a service dog. Please change and enforce this to protect and respect the rights of all. I have no problems with a 'real' service dog - they are well trained - behave and sit on the floor - helping their owner. I'd say it's about time a law is passed and hope it is enforced.
NO to 'emotional' support dogs - only SERVICE DOGS!
No they don't have the right to ask for proof of their dog's training. But they DO have the right to require that the dog remain on the floor, leashed, and in close proximity to its owner at all times. Service dogs are trained to NOT jump up on the chairs, and "on duty" service dogs are not found in baskets or strollers or their owner's arms.

The term is "four on the floor." If this isn't happening, then the manager of the store has the RIGHT to kick the dog and its owner out.
  #66  
Old 12-05-2019, 10:38 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,635
Thanks: 236
Thanked 794 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If they use the "support" term to explain why their pet is where it is, then by definition they are abusing the "support" thing. That's because a support animal is not a service animal. When a store says "service animals welcome" it is excluding emotional support animals. An "emotional support" animal is not trained to do anything in particular, at all. It's just a pet with a fancy name.

A service animal is trained to perform specific tasks on behalf of someone who is disabled.
I agree, a support animal is not a service animal. Every pet I ever had was a support animal.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #67  
Old 12-06-2019, 08:29 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,577
Thanks: 3,371
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree, a support animal is not a service animal. Every pet I ever had was a support animal.
Me too.

I think that you and Barefoot and Nonie and DBussone and Nucky and Dillywho (to name a few) love their animals as they should be loved but I have never seen any of you cross any lines of common sense and respect for others. I think it is because you want everyone to love them.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #68  
Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 6,888
Thanks: 18
Thanked 759 Times in 299 Posts
Default

On our 6th visit in a month at VA hospital, large sign at every entrance

SERVICE DOGS only. All others will be asked to leave.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #69  
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,682
Thanks: 18
Thanked 573 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
On our 6th visit in a month at VA hospital, large sign at every entrance

SERVICE DOGS only. All others will be asked to leave.
If a dog has the ability to understand a request to leave and can make a decision to comply or not, they should be allowed to stay.
__________________
What am I supposed to call my Plantation Shutters now?
  #70  
Old 12-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,422
Thanks: 383
Thanked 1,550 Times in 652 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
If a dog has the ability to understand a request to leave and can make a decision to comply or not, they should be allowed to stay.
Nope. Seriously what is so hard to understand about the definition of a “service” animal? It is not an obedient pet, it is not a therapy dog, it is not an emotional support dog, it is not a rescued dog, it is not a show dog with a pedigree. What can’t people understand about that? Please explain it to me.
  #71  
Old 12-07-2019, 07:59 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,577
Thanks: 3,371
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Nope. Seriously what is so hard to understand about the definition of a “service” animal? It is not an obedient pet, it is not a therapy dog, it is not an emotional support dog, it is not a rescued dog, it is not a show dog with a pedigree. What can’t people understand about that? Please explain it to me.
Velvet. You are new here so I must point out that Rapscallion is almost always tongue-in-cheek, poking fun, and pulling on our legs.

Except when he held an enormous job for years serving our country. (That is just a guess but I am a good guesser) He is also as old as I am, (and God) and he is clever and witty and the ornery boy in the back of the class. He made his mother turn gray early and diligently worked for years saving this world from awful people.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #72  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:06 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,635
Thanks: 236
Thanked 794 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Do a search for Rapscallion and you'll find some pretty funny stuff.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #73  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 AM
ckcapaul ckcapaul is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Woodbury
Posts: 95
Thanks: 16
Thanked 52 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Do a search for Rapscallion and you'll find some pretty funny stuff.
We can all use some levity, from time to time.

Carry on
  #74  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,422
Thanks: 383
Thanked 1,550 Times in 652 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Velvet. You are new here so I must point out that Rapscallion is almost always tongue-in-cheek, poking fun, and pulling on our legs.

Except when he held an enormous job for years serving our country. (That is just a guess but I am a good guesser) He is also as old as I am, (and God) and he is clever and witty and the ornery boy in the back of the class. He made his mother turn gray early and diligently worked for years saving this world from awful people.
My bad, thank you Gracie for pointing out the wit, misread his post. He sounds like a fun person.
  #75  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:50 AM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 182 Times in 84 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

I'm on the fence about this one. It would be hard to part with my emotional support squirrel.
Closed Thread

Tags
support, florida, subject, view, lawmakers

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.