Have you wondered how far Steve Jobs vision will go?

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2023, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,175 Times in 441 Posts
Default Have you wondered how far Steve Jobs vision will go?

Will we have libraries in our future?
Will Dept. Stores be a thing of the past?
I'm sure you have other changes to our future, right?
Old 05-01-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Many feel that AI (Artificial Intelligence) will wipe out the human race. They are asking for a 6 month pause for AI development.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,533 Times in 2,583 Posts

Will they ever find a cure for the Common Cold?
Old 05-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Never have we been so connected -- yet so disconnected.

And AI does not bode well.

Boomer
Old 05-01-2023, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Many feel that AI (Artificial Intelligence) will wipe out the human race. They are asking for a 6 month pause for AI development.
By "they" you mean Elon Musk. And by "6 month pause for AI development" you mean "make everyone wait 6 months so that I can be the first to push a completed version through and make more profit than anyone else from it, and stack the deck with my opinions of things, and feed it only information I want it to have about certain subjects, so that when anyone uses it - they'll only get what I want them to get."

Not new news. It's a scary concept, I'm not convinced it's a good idea, however - it will be part of our future whether we want it to be or not. If the USA doesn't perfect it first, some other country will. Eventually, ALL countries will have it, and many countries already have access to it. AI is already here, you can use it on multiple platforms already.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Ask him. He is still giving interviews.

Joe Rogan Steve Jobs AI-Powered Podcast | Hypebeast
Old 05-01-2023, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Ask him. He is still giving interviews.

Joe Rogan Steve Jobs AI-Powered Podcast | Hypebeast
That is AI pretending to be him.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:56 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
By "they" you mean Elon Musk. And by "6 month pause for AI development" you mean "make everyone wait 6 months so that I can be the first to push a completed version through and make more profit than anyone else from it, and stack the deck with my opinions of things, and feed it only information I want it to have about certain subjects, so that when anyone uses it - they'll only get what I want them to get."

Not new news. It's a scary concept, I'm not convinced it's a good idea, however - it will be part of our future whether we want it to be or not. If the USA doesn't perfect it first, some other country will. Eventually, ALL countries will have it, and many countries already have access to it. AI is already here, you can use it on multiple platforms already.

I think you're absolutely right about Musk's motivation.

I recently saw a very simple example of AI. Someone who was leading a discussion on the subject had asked a computer to write a poem on the topic of AI being discussed by a group. The AI wrote several stanzas. (too many actually) Only two or three words in the whole thing were awkwardly used.....

Now, I know not many people give a rat's patootie about AI writing a poem, but I gotta tellya, it creeped me out because of where that ability can go.

Now, Hollywood is expecting a writers' strike. The last time there was a writers' strike, television spawned more and more reality shows for the easily amused who got hooked, so then the reality shows stayed and multiplied. Let's face it. Millions of Americans have an insatiable taste for $#!+. Writers' strike? AI could find that niche and fill it fast. That would only be practice for AI, just an easy workout, a warm up.

AI is going to own us. Well, maybe not quite us, but our kids and grandkids. And there is nothing we can do to stop it, so I just try not to think too much about it.

Cassandra Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-01-2023 at 06:25 PM. Reason: verb tense clarification
Old 05-01-2023, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Doubt if these written programs will be any good even if many current movies could probably have been written by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I think you're absolutely right about Musk's motivation.

I recently saw a very simple example of AI. Someone who was leading a discussion on the subject had asked a computer to write a poem on the topic of AI being discussed by a group. The AI wrote several stanzas. (too many actually) Only two or three words in the whole thing were awkwardly used.....

Now, I know not many people give a rat's patootie about AI writing a poem, but I gotta tellya, it creeped me out because of where that ability can go.

Now, Hollywood is expecting a writers' strike. The last time there was a writers' strike, television spawned more and more reality shows for the easily amused who got hooked, so then the reality shows stayed and multiplied. Let's face it. Millions of Americans have an insatiable taste for $#!+. Writers' strike? AI will find that niche and fill it fast. That will only be practice for AI, just an easy workout, a warm up.

AI is going to own us. Well, maybe not quite us, but our kids and grandkids. And there is nothing we can do to stop it, so I just try not to think too much about it.

Cassandra Boomer
Old 05-01-2023, 06:22 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Doubt if these written programs will be any good even if many current movies could probably have been written by them.
Yes. You make a good point, for now.....

Teachers of writing -- human teachers of writing, that is -- can try to teach the various aspects of writing, but the one thing that is probably impossible to teach is voice.

Tone can be hard to teach, too. But that can be done with teaching things like connotation v. denotation of words, general word choice, and style of sentence structure. AI probably could learn tone.

But AI's "creative" writing will be stilted and wooden because it will lack voice -- for a while.....

Boomer
Old 05-02-2023, 07:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
The paus does not apply to other countries. The US can fall behind. On the other hand, if we put forth the question how to quickly reduce global warming, there are a few answers that can be bad news for humanity. Reminds me of the predicament of the shrimp.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:50 AM
Gold member

With AI doing the jobs currently performed by people, it makes me wonder how it will effect the financial structure we now have. What happens when the technology a company is creating so it can make money, results in the population losing employment. We need an intelligence to work our way through this. Maybe AI can figure it out for us?
Old 05-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Never have we been so connected -- yet so disconnected.

And AI does not bode well.

Boomer
Buffet said it best! Everybody’s on the phone so connected and all alone ,From the pizza boy to the socialite ! We all salute the satellite!
Old 05-02-2023, 04:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Woz was the brains behind that outfit. Jobs was the salesman. Woz was the reason many of us invested in Apple back in the 80's.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

AI is not new. I read a book about AI programming over 30 years ago and people then were afraid what AI could do. Now, decades later, a couple tech companies mentioned AI and now the new buzz word is AI. The most intelligent speech about AI, pros and cons is not from Microsoft or Google like investors think, far from it, it was from Elon Musk almost a year ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
future, steve, past, thing, jobs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.