How do you use your microwave?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
and now I have to print it again
Eggplant Parm the easy way [now that I'm older I like the taste of the bitter skin]

Cut the EP in 1/2 in slices, nuke and squeeze like before
pan fry in pam olive oil spray [low calories] and garlic
put a slice of cheese on it--provolone, mozzarella or parmasian
put a TB or 2 of tomato sauce on each slice and nuke it again until the cheese melts
[or you could just put a lid on it until the cheese melts and the sauce gets hot--or put the cheese on top of the sauce and broil it to brown the cheese a little]

not as good as mom's but this only takes 10 minutes

I put a slice on a a toasted Italian roll and I do the last nuke on the toasted bottom but you could substitute gluten free toasted bread.

Last edited by tomwed; 05-05-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I found this. I don't think I can make this any easier.

2 eggplants diced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped finely
4 clove garlic sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large tomatoes – skinned and deseeded
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 cup water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons fresh mint – finely chopped
1 can cooked chickpeas – drained
PREPARATION
Add the eggplant to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
Next add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, eggplant, and chickpeas. Cook for approximately 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally season with salt and the fresh mint.

Maybe sub 5 large tomatoes to a 26 oz? can of roasted tomatoes
I'm not fond of mint--so I would skip this.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans which is the key ingredient in humus
I'm going to make this but I'll cut everything in half. It won't freeze well and I don't want to eat it all week.
If you are not in a hurry you can do like they do in cooking shows and put each measure ingredient in a bowl and line the bowls up in order.
I love eggplant and it's cheap at Aldi's.

At the farmers market you can find Chinese Eggplant------it looks like a long purple cucumber and has no seeds. Slice it in half inch slices, nuke it for a minute or so, using a paper towel squeeze them dryer, stir fry and when it's almost done`, it might brown a little, throw in some garlic, 1 TB of soy sauce, a drip or 4 of hot sauce, 1 TB or less of honey, AND cooked defrosted shrimp to keep it simple.
Before you serve it, taste it. You don't need to cook it anymore but you can add a little more of the seasoning and taste each time until you like it.
I hate to tell you, but “humus” is soil with a high organic ratio. I know, I know, but I can help myself.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Eggplant Parm the easy way [now that I'm older I like the taste of the bitter skin]

Cut the EP in 1/2 in slices, nuke and squeeze like before
pan fry in pam olive oil spray [low calories] and garlic
put a slice of cheese on it--provolone, mozzarella or parmasian
put a TB or 2 of tomato sauce on each slice and nuke it again until the cheese melts

not as good as mom's but this only takes 10 minutes

I put a slice on a a toasted Italian roll and I do the last nuke on the toasted bottom but you could substitute gluten free toasted bread.
easy peasy... I like! I could put it on gluten free pizza also.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I hate to tell you, but “humus” is soil with a high organic ratio. I know, I know, but I can help myself.
ohhh,,,, that's very different
Old 05-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
It's easier then ever to be a good cook. The hard part, most prone to error is knowing when it's done. A digital thermometer does the job if you get it in the center and the recipe and google tells you what the temp should be.

If you pm me your favorite dishes I will think of a way to make each one easy for you to cook and pm you the directions. Believe me, I will enjoy the challenge.
You were gone for a bit awhile ago. I am so glad you are back with your culinary ideas, not to mention your humor.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
You're confusing an English word with a culinary term.

Hummus is a Levantine dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas or other beans, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You're confusing an English word with a culinary term.

Hummus is a Levantine dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas or other beans, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic.
Just hummor him.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

"Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans which is the key ingredient in humus"

Spellcheck said I spelled correctly. Now I need to add CommonSensecheck that would ask me why I would amend my soil with Chickpeas.

It's funny I never cared for Norm Crosby but I thought I would watch his act again 50 years later, maybe more. Could that be right?

Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Just hummor him.

Ha ha!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Just hummor him.

Hummor is an antidote to all ills.
Patch Adams

I didn't know who he was.

Hunter Doherty "Patch" Adams (born May 28, 1945) is an American physician, comedian, social activist, clown, and author. He founded the Gesundheit! Institute in 1971. Each year he organizes a group of volunteers from around the world to travel to various countries where they dress as clowns in an effort to bring humor to orphans, patients, and other people.[1]
Old 05-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

I zap my kitchen sponges to heat them as well; any odors are removed.

What dishes does everyone use to microwave? I prefer hard plastic over glass due to lighter weight, but my old Tupperware sets have developed internal cracks and may not be long for this world. The material in the newer plastic ones seems to be too soft and they'll bubble from the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Trying to be healthy and almost burnt down the house.
I wasn't trying to be healthy but used to put a paper towel under microwave popcorn bags because the oil drips out a bit. The paper towels were getting scorched so I thought I'd use a cotton dish towel instead.

Huh. That scorched as well.

I threw the ruined towel into the kitchen trash. A while later I smelled burning and saw that smoke was pouring out of the trash can. I lifted the lid -- dish towel was actively on fire. Put it in the kitchen sink under the faucet. All was well but the house was seriously full of smoke.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I zap my kitchen sponges to heat them as well; any odors are removed.

What dishes does everyone use to microwave? I prefer hard plastic over glass due to lighter weight, but my old Tupperware sets have developed internal cracks and may not be long for this world. The material in the newer plastic ones seems to be too soft and they'll bubble from the heat.

I wasn't trying to be healthy but used to put a paper towel under microwave popcorn bags because the oil drips out a bit. The paper towels were getting scorched so I thought I'd use a cotton dish towel instead.

Huh. That scorched as well.

I threw the ruined towel into the kitchen trash. A while later I smelled burning and saw that smoke was pouring out of the trash can. I lifted the lid -- dish towel was actively on fire. Put it in the kitchen sink under the faucet. All was well but the house was seriously full of smoke.
Thank goodness you didn't take off for a good reason. It turned out well. Stuff like that happens to all of us.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is a good idea.
GREAT PHOTO, GRACIE!!
I use MWO to clean funky smelling sponges or scrubbies. Wet add soap...(ms. clean) then MW for 2.5 to 3 minutes and let it cool.
My dogs eat RAE food that comes in 8oz flats. After dividing and weighing the meat, we warm it for 4 seconds in micro.
See ya.....
Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage

Here's another good mw use.

I take a dampened wash cloth and put it in the mw for 30 sec and then on my face right before I put on the shaving cream.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I found this. I don't think I can make this any easier.

2 eggplants diced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped finely
4 clove garlic sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large tomatoes – skinned and deseeded
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 cup water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons fresh mint – finely chopped
1 can cooked chickpeas – drained
PREPARATION
Add the eggplant to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
Next add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, eggplant, and chickpeas. Cook for approximately 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally season with salt and the fresh mint.

Maybe sub 5 large tomatoes to a 26 oz? can of roasted tomatoes
I'm not fond of mint--so I would skip this.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans which is the key ingredient in humus
I'm going to make this but I'll cut everything in half. It won't freeze well and I don't want to eat it all week.
If you are not in a hurry you can do like they do in cooking shows and put each measure ingredient in a bowl and line the bowls up in order.
I love eggplant and it's cheap at Aldi's.

At the farmers market you can find Chinese Eggplant------it looks like a long purple cucumber and has no seeds. Slice it in half inch slices, nuke it for a minute or so, using a paper towel squeeze them dryer, stir fry and when it's almost done`, it might brown a little, throw in some garlic, 1 TB of soy sauce, a drip or 4 of hot sauce, 1 TB or less of honey, AND cooked defrosted shrimp to keep it simple.
Before you serve it, taste it. You don't need to cook it anymore but you can add a little more of the seasoning and taste each time until you like it.
What temperature is the oven?
Closed Thread

Tags
zap, pan, seconds, italian, sausage--i

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.