Default Installing under cabinet LET strip lighting

The first 3 foot section took 6 hours
The second section took 3 hours
The third section took 1 hour

Dang, the LED tape lights are hard to work with at the 10MM width
Old 02-12-2022, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,447 Times in 2,340 Posts

I have done entire kitchens in that time, over the cabinet and under the cabinet. I would be glad to give you some pointers.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:37 PM

I did my entire kitchen in about 2.5 hours. Purchased LED light kits on Amazon and they contained 'spacer' sections so I didn't have to run lights down the sides of cabinets or under the microwave that's over the stove. Drilled small holes between adjacent cabinets to run the lights and they work perfectly. Even came with a small remote to adjust the brightness. If you would like to know the brand I'll post it here.
Total was about $100, much cheaper than the $600 Liquid Lights wanted to charge.

Last edited by laboutj; 02-14-2022 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 02-14-2022, 12:38 PM
Gold member

We had ours installed for $300 and love them.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM

Had my undercabinet lights installed years ago by an electrician. He placed them at the rear of the cabinet, next to the wall.

I didn't notice until he finished and I came to inspect his work. I was so upset, but it was too late to change it.

As the person who actually works in the kitchen and uses the lights, I would prefer that the undercabinet lights be installed along the front edge of the cabinet, so that they light up the counter where I am working. The wall does not need to be lit up, the workspace does.

There is a lip along the front of the cabinet that can hide the light, or a small piece of molding added.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,952 Times in 938 Posts

I agree with lighting up the horizontal surface instead of the vertical surface for positioning. .

This was not a standard install of presectioned lights with connector attached.

The channel was routered into the undercabinet for a 10MM aluminum channel for an 8M light strip, which is on a reel and must be cut with scissors. The 8 MM didn't work, had to be soldered per the manufacturer. That was impossible, i found someone to do it but with a 22 guage wire, broke too esily. so we went with10MM, which has to get pushed over a 9MM width opening.

The 18 GWT wires coming out of the wall are fixed, no sliding and the strip connector is about an inch away, and the strip connectors are wider than the 10 MM channel, so some more routering had to be done, by me with a dremel, though not very well. Of course, 2 out of four are on a ladder. . so If I cut too short, then lots of cussing as the system would not work. So i had to curl the 18 GWT solid wire into a spring shape to get it longer and then into the channel.

To get the connectors to work you have to strip off the plastic weather proof coating on the LED strips to expose the actual copper connectors, and then overtightening them onto the LED strip caused the connection to fail. So the connectors had very tiny screws and dould not be tightened hard and then the whole assembly was twisted up into place, which sometimes caused the connector to fail, circuit opened

The issue was mostly by gradient progressive lenses aren't made for this type of microscopic work. All this is on a 20K feature wall which goes 18 ft high, so I am not quite wanting to hack it up as its all exposed to be seen
Old 02-14-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
I did my entire kitchen in about 2.5 hours. Purchased LED light kits on Amazon and they contained 'spacer' sections so I didn't have to run lights down the sides of cabinets or under the microwave that's over the stove. Drilled small holes between adjacent cabinets to run the lights and they work perfectly. Even came with a small remote to adjust the brightness. If you would like to know the brand I'll post it here.
Total was about $100, much cheaper than the $600 Liquid Lights wanted to charge.
Yes, please tell us the brand.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:06 PM

Wouldn't want to break any rules but if it's allowed here I'd love to see what brand you used. Thinking about doing ours also.

ThanX,
Roger from NJ
Old 02-14-2022, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
We had ours installed for $300 and love them.
Will you share the installer's name? Both our over and under cabinets (installed by former owner, I think a DIY job) have failed. We had an electrician estimate $1000 to replace. He charged us $50 for the estimate that would be applied to the price. We said yes, he left, never came back despite several attempts to contact him. And yes, he was a registered electrician.

That was two years ago. We'd still like to have this done.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,447 Times in 2,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I agree with lighting up the horizontal surface instead of the vertical surface for positioning. .

This was not a standard install of presectioned lights with connector attached.

The channel was routered into the undercabinet for a 10MM aluminum channel for an 8M light strip, which is on a reel and must be cut with scissors. The 8 MM didn't work, had to be soldered per the manufacturer. That was impossible, i found someone to do it but with a 22 guage wire, broke too esily. so we went with10MM, which has to get pushed over a 9MM width opening.

The 18 GWT wires coming out of the wall are fixed, no sliding and the strip connector is about an inch away, and the strip connectors are wider than the 10 MM channel, so some more routering had to be done, by me with a dremel, though not very well. Of course, 2 out of four are on a ladder. . so If I cut too short, then lots of cussing as the system would not work. So i had to curl the 18 GWT solid wire into a spring shape to get it longer and then into the channel.

To get the connectors to work you have to strip off the plastic weather proof coating on the LED strips to expose the actual copper connectors, and then overtightening them onto the LED strip caused the connection to fail. So the connectors had very tiny screws and dould not be tightened hard and then the whole assembly was twisted up into place, which sometimes caused the connector to fail, circuit opened

The issue was mostly by gradient progressive lenses aren't made for this type of microscopic work. All this is on a 20K feature wall which goes 18 ft high, so I am not quite wanting to hack it up as its all exposed to be seen
I would have to see your installation, but I have installed the LED strip lights on 15 foot rolls with 3M tape on several houses, ours 8 years ago. It sounds like this project was made more difficult than necessary. Unless the wall is outside or otherwise subjected to very high moisture, the NON waterproof LEDs work fine and are easily soldered, and these are the only ones I use and and I only use soldered connections, 18 to 20 gauge twisted wire. Let me know if you would like to discuss over the phone, or I could possibly come over and take a look. I do not publish my contact info on open forums, so use a private message.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,952 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would have to see your installation, but I have installed the LED strip lights on 15 foot rolls with 3M tape on several houses, ours 8 years ago. It sounds like this project was made more difficult than necessary. Unless the wall is outside or otherwise subjected to very high moisture, the NON waterproof LEDs work fine and are easily soldered, and these are the only ones I use and and I only use soldered connections, 18 to 20 gauge twisted wire. Let me know if you would like to discuss over the phone, or I could possibly come over and take a look. I do not publish my contact info on open forums, so use a private message.
Thanks, but its done, and I am in Snowchussetts. I am just bitching because the job was made more difficult by the improper specs in the first place. There was no room for twisted wire from 18 GWT solid to LED strip. within one inch in a 10 MM channel, or at least that I could see or do.

You are a professional tinkerer, beyond my hacking skills
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FeatureWall.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	92604  
Old 02-14-2022, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Thanks, but its done, and I am in Snowchussetts. I am just bitching because the job was made more difficult by the improper specs in the first place. There was no room for twisted wire from 18 GWT solid to LED strip. within one inch in a 10 MM channel, or at least that I could see or do.

You are a professional tinkerer, beyond my hacking skills
Success looks good.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, please tell us the brand.
I used two sets of these for the under cabinet lights and the light over the wine rack: Amazon.com

I also had to buy another accessory pack because I needed spacers for running up between the cabinets to link the upper and lower lights: Amazon.com

For the upper cabinets I used the same brand and color, but a 32 foot length: Amazon.com

Make sure you have a plug with a dedicated wall switch, that makes things a lot easier. And also make sure you pick the correct color lights for your application, and that the kits you purchase match.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,234 Times in 934 Posts

Of the agreements the wife and I negotiated before I agreed to move to TV was I don't do Honey Do's home improvements. Mow the yard or power wash the house. I can do the work but arthritis slaps me upside the head and tells me I'm an idiot. I came here to play and have a good time. We are fortunate that we can afford to pay someone to do it, and it helps the local economy.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Of the agreements the wife and I negotiated before I agreed to move to TV was I don't do Honey Do's home improvements. Mow the yard or power wash the house. I can do the work but arthritis slaps me upside the head and tells me I'm an idiot. I came here to play and have a good time. We are fortunate that we can afford to pay someone to do it, and it helps the local economy.
One thing that always runs through my mind is "How much is my time worth?" Something like these LED's, it's a no-brainer to do it myself. I have the skill set, it's minimal time, it gives me the feeling of accomplishment, and I saved $500 that I could use for something else. Same thing with painting even though it's mind-numbingly boring.

There are things I'll gladly let someone else do, like digging out and replacing bushes or any work that is higher than a 6 foot ladder.
Closed Thread

Tags
section, hours, tape, lights, installing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.