List of words that should be banished

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I have NEVER been in a restaurant where a server referred to any food type as protein or a starch,
and we eat out often.
I can't even imagine what would prompt the use of those words…...
Talking heads the other night on t.v., from New York, are what reminded me of the awful "starch" and "protein" categories, which are technically accurate but unappetizing. They said exactly what I've thought about it.

Will see if I can find a video clip of it.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I have NEVER been in a restaurant where a server referred to any food type as protein or a starch,
and we eat out often.
I can't even imagine what would prompt the use of those words.
It's culinary terminology found on many chef and food presentation sites, as well as restaurants where we've dined in various states. Here are four menu examples I found with quick google searches, from Boston, CT, WI, and CA:

Boston:
"Chef’s Selection of Assorted Proteins, Seasonal Vegetables, Grains and Starches

Upgraded Chef’s Market Basket

Selection of Proteins to Include: Scallops, Shrimp, Slab Bacon, New York Strip Loin, Boneless Chicken Breast, Crab Meat

Action Kitchen Menus | Boston MA Group Cooking Activities & Parties
-----
CT:
Dinner
You may choose any protein, starch and vegetable for your menu. If you would like suggestions please email the chef. Chef@whistlestopwindosor.com
Proteins
Chicken Francais $10.00, Chicken Piccatta $10.00, Apple Brie Chicken $11.00, Chicken Parmesan with Pasta (in house only) $12.00, Chicken Scapadelle (chicken, sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, in lemon wine sauce).

Whistle Stop Cafe l The best bistro in Windsor, CT.
-----
Your custom plated dinner menu consists of your selection of the following proteins, a starch and vegetable. The pricing listed with the proteins is inclusive of all side selections, unless noted with an up- charge. If selecting more than one entrée, please contact your catering manager – the price of the highest cost entrée will apply to all entrees.
Protein selections – seafood
Mahi Mahi – 8 ounce filet, seared or grilled $22
*Chef recommended preparation – blackened and glazed with apricot jam $23
CANADIAN WALLEYE – 8 ounce filet, baked $21
*Chef recommended preparation – pan fried with seasoned flour with lemon caper beurre blanc $23
wild salmon – 8 ounce filet, seared or grilled $24

http://www.thewaterfrontlacrosse.com...DinnerMenu.pdf
----
Wolfgang Puck Weddings:

"Wolfgang incorporates free-range proteins and sustainable seafood into each menu highlighting the importance of caring for the environment. Add an innovative twist to local grown foods, complimenting a wedding's location and enhancing the guests' experience."
Wedding Menus | www.wolfgangpuck.com

------
San Jose, CA:
Choice of Protein
Choice of Starch
http://www.sanjose.org/sites/default...m%20Buffet.pdf
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I can't stand to hear servers ask me,"How's everything tasting?" Really gets on my nerves. Like the food and everything on the table is capable of doing its own tasting instead of asking me if everything is ok or something to that effect. I am not sure why this irritates me so much, but it does.
I agree. What a wierd way to ask how is everything, which is basically what they are asking. I want to ask them if they want to taste it and they can tell me!

The only thing that irritates me more is when wait staff refers to my husband and I as "you guys." I find that extremely rude, particularly when these kids could be my grandchilden!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The folks who serve us here in restaurants have to be the finest bunch in the world. Many have worked in the country club restaurants for many years when the Morse's ran them and then eventually sold the business part to a restaurant owner retaining the real estate as is their business plan.

The servers that I know best are at Cane Garden and every last one of them is excellent at what they do and seem pleased to work every day and have the opportunity to put their kids in the fine Villages Charter schools.

Almost all of them are native Floridians and have no accents like we do.
I just don't notice if they say things like protein or ask if everything tastes o.k.. Usually new ones are the one's that say no problem, but soon they become more savvy with proper response. Most of us came from a world and time where people always say thank you and you're welcome. Some kids today aren't hearing this at home.

In return many people pay these hard working folks twenty percent and thank them. AND MANY DON'T.
If I worked as a server in The Villages you would find my kisser on the crime page on the on line news for smacking someone.

Remember that not all people are destined to become English Majors. That takes money and academic prowess. Not all English majors could hack it as a server in The Villages.

Now I hope I haven't hurt the servers feelings or my fellow Villagers.

Good morning. It is gonna be a warm day in The Villages and it is snowing every other place in the world.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Of servers and English majors, referenced above. . .

I think there is a book in being a server in TV. It could be titled "Undercover Server."

Look out. The next server you meet just might be an English major.

Last edited by Laurie2; 02-24-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Of servers and English majors, referenced above. . .

I think there is a book in being a server in TV. It could be titled "Undercover Server."

Look out. The next server you meet just might be an English major.

Please check my post above. I changed the "are" to "is".

I was a science major from a blue collar home.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.
That, and the implication that villagers were forced to buy here, by cult brainwashing.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Sage

Wholenother
Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM

Off topic

Last edited by Laurie2; 02-25-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you.

These are some on the list that are still around, unfortunately:
"It is what it is." (Translation: I don't want to say what I really think. Someone might be offended.)
"Issues". (Example: The pitcher is having shoulder issues going into Game 7 of the World Series. Or, Bruce Jenner is having some gender issues.)
"It's all good."
I think that Bruce Jenner's gender issues are on hold while he sorts out his recent car crash.
I enjoyed some of the Academy Award presentation. Lady Gaga actually has quite a lovely voice.
Not sure about her red rubber gloves though. Oh well, it is what it is.
I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe. It's all good.
With apologies to Sunnyatlast!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think that Bruce Jenner's gender issues are on hold while he sorts out his recent car crash.
I enjoyed some of the Academy Award presenation. Lady Gaga actually has quite a lovely voice.
Not sure about her red rubber gloves though. Oh well, it is what it is.
I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe. It's all good.
If it were "all good", nobody would be citing words or phrases that grate on them.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe.
"We" definitely know how to irritate people now.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage

Some of you irritate me even when you aren't posting. It's like I know your still there.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Some of you irritate me even when you aren't posting. It's like I know your still there.

Boy howdy!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.